Replies

• DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • DoneWorking
    Options
    Back in my day... my girlfriend and I worked in Sy & Syl's hamburger stand with a big 19 cents sign above it. Then... McDonald's came to town.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Back in my day, there weren't any seedless watermelons. The kids would have seed spitting contests, and tell the little kids that if they swallowed a seed then a watermelon would grow in their stomach. The watermelons tasted a lot better back then.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    Back in my day we'd pretend we were Evil Knievil when we rode our bikes!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes were 10 cents a nickel
  • linddd
    linddd Posts: 6,591 Member
    Options
    Back in my day people got dressed up for church.
  • mer1cose
    mer1cose Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Back in my day, we wore bread bags inside our boots to keep our feet dry when we played in the snow
  • rockgoddess2016
    rockgoddess2016 Posts: 8,663 Member
    Options
    Back in my day we ate what was put in front of us Cuz as mom use to say "this is not a restaurant!"
  • linddd
    Options
    Back in my day my mom had a "suds saver" on the washing machine
  • g44219
    g44219 Posts: 3,665 Member
    Options
    Back in my day we ate what was put in front of us Cuz as mom use to say "this is not a restaurant!"

this^^ but my dad would say "I bet it'll be good this time tomorrow"
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,138 Member
    Options
    Back in my day, we ate dinner at the kitchen table and talked. Well, the adults, talked...us kids talked if asked a question....
  • maeld51
    maeld51 Posts: 3,415 Member
    Options
    Back in my day,
    Primary schools taught reading, writing, arithmatic, science, history, art and PE.
    In high school they added Woodshop and Auto Mechanics.
    Somehow we managed without a class to teach us to bathe, brush our teeth, wear clean clothes, oh wait,,,,,
    that's right, I learned that at home.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,618 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Back in my day, manners were a given.
  • linddd
    Options
    Back in my day we didn't worry about someone coming along and stealing our bike out of the front yard.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    we were taught, cursive writing; in school!
  • DoneWorking
    edited April 2016
    Options

Okay, who are you and how do you know my mother? :) And we had to eat all of it too.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Back in my day we had rotary phones...and if you had a lot of 7s, 8s, and 9s in your phone number (as our home number did) it felt like it took forever to dial. And when you talked on the phone you were tethered to the wall. And you had to wait until late night to make long distance calls...when the rates went down.

Back in my day parents didn't arrange play dates...we just rode our bikes over to a friends house (no helmets of course) and knocked on the door...and if they weren't available, we rode to the next friend's house.

Back in my day you got a trophy if your team came in first place (maybe second or third if it was a big league)...not just for participation (I swear I may need to build an extra wing on my house for all my kids damn trophies.)
  • dubble306
    dubble306 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wasn't referred to as a cougar
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Back in my day we walked, biked, bussed it to school.

Nowadays these kids have chauffeurs when their school is 0.5 miles away.

Back in my day we could stay home alone starting at 10 years of age and fend for our damn selves. Spam sandwiches, Tombstone pizzas, tuna on Saltine crackers... I got this, Mom! :smiley:

• linddd
    Options
    Back in my day the only way to bake a potato was in a regular oven where it took a LONG time!