Does anyone NOT eat bananas?

Replies

• livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    I eat bananas all the time, and always with peanut butter (in oats, on toast).
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    I toss one in every smoothie. That sure beats that half gallon of ice cream I used to slug down my fat throat after lifting...you know...for "muscle recovery"... :*
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    I don't like bananas unless they're in bread form. :) I also find them too sweet for smoothies.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    I eat one banana every day as part of my breakfast..

http://readanddigest.com/health-benefits-of-bananas/
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    I hate them.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    I used to hate them when I was a kid. Now as long as they're not too green or too terribly ripe I will eat them, usually one every day in fact. I find that eating one around 9:30 helps keep my blood sugar even, because if I eat a very light breakfast (usually not hungry that early) and then don't eat lunch until 11:45 or noon I get a big blood sugar spike and then crash. Eating a banana mid morning has helped me avoid this usually. I also like them because they are easy to transport, take about 5 minutes or less to eat and are very sweet for when I'm craving something sweet.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I have never liked them--even as a kid, but would tolerate them occasionally in a dessert or smoothie if someone else made it.

Then I traveled to central America and learned what they do to the environment and the laborers who work the plantations. Haven't had so much as a bite of one in 15 years.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    For anyone that has Oral Allergy Syndrom, there's a pretty decent closed Facebook group that has quite a few members with it. Seems like several on this thread might.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I have never liked them--even as a kid, but would tolerate them occasionally in a dessert or smoothie if someone else made it.

Then I traveled to central America and learned what they do to the environment and the laborers who work the plantations. Haven't had so much as a bite of one in 15 years.

Thankfully my bananas all come from Queensland

• 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member

Now we have a Free Trade Agreement with USA could import ours!
  • Christine_72
    6pkdreamer wrote: »

Now we have a Free Trade Agreement with USA could import ours!

oh jeez I hope not! Why import something that grows in our own backyard. Stupid Government! !!
  • CrystalCampbell2
    CrystalCampbell2 Posts: 1 Member
    Love bananas. Eat two everyday. Great source of potassium.
  • 6pkdreamer

Now we have a Free Trade Agreement with USA could import EXPORT ours!

oh jeez I hope not! Why import something that grows in our own backyard. Stupid Government! !!

...I meant EXPORT of course. (typo)
  • Christine_72

Now we have a Free Trade Agreement with USA could import EXPORT ours!

...I meant EXPORT of course. (typo)

Haha rereading your post, I get that now :smiley:

• drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    I love bananas but they are a lot of calories for not much food, so maybe only a few times a week, usually on cereal for breakfast.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I have no objections to bananas and I think they can fit right in to a healthy diet if you like them.

Very rarely I will get a craving for one and then I only like the ones that are just barely ripe, slightly green. I usually find myself wanting one when I've been super busy and waited too long to eat and I'm just ravenous! A very ripe banana by itself is sickeningly sweet and overly mushy to me, though oddly I do like a lot of sweet things with bananas as ingredients, like shakes, banana bread, ice cream, etc.

I would eat one as often as I wanted if only I liked them more. As long as they fit in my calories, it's all good!
  • 6pkdreamer
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I have no objections to bananas and I think they can fit right in to a healthy diet if you like them.

Very rarely I will get a craving for one and then I only like the ones that are just barely ripe, slightly green. I usually find myself wanting one when I've been super busy and waited too long to eat and I'm just ravenous! A very ripe banana by itself is sickeningly sweet and overly mushy to me, though oddly I do like a lot of sweet things with bananas as ingredients, like shakes, banana bread, ice cream, etc.

I would eat one as often as I wanted if only I liked them more. As long as they fit in my calories, it's all good!

Try plantain a different type of banana that is savory- generally you fry. Not sweet and just as many carbs but not as many are sugar. Not the easiest fruit to find!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't. I think they're too high calorie. I'd rather eat a piece of meat, can of tuna, small salad, 2 oreos...etc.

I wish meat was as cheap to buy as bananas!

Gah I barely even look at the price on food anymore. Everything I love is just so expensive.

I've looked at your instagram, I get so much food envy!

Are there any other foods you don't tend to eat?

I practice volumetrics so I tend not to eat too many calorie dense foods on a daily basis because I like to stuff my face with a lot of food for less.

I need to figure out how to do that because I want to eat all the time!

It can take a little practice. The easiest thing is to replace grains with double veg and an extra ounce or so of lean meat if you can fit it. I don't cook with oil or butter so I have room for cheese or extra meat instead. I'll look at a food like an egg for example...2 eggs, 140 calories. I'm getting fat and protein there. But if I break up these macros and get my protein from egg whites, 140 calories of egg whites has a lot more volume than 140 calories from 2 whole eggs. Now I can get my fat from entirely different food source. I have room for avocado, or bacon, etc.

I need to look up Volumetrics. For my lunches at work I usually tend to eat this way. I can easily eat 3-4 cups of salad, with 4-6 ounces of chicken breast, salad dressing, & maybe a few croutons.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    I'll have a banana maybe every few months if I make a smoothie for breakfast or a snack, but I rarely eat fruit.

I ate some Banana Pudding on Easter that was really good, but way too sweet.
  • 6pkdreamer
    I've been adding them to as a base or main ingrediant to smoothies- they taste too sweet/sugary. I definately prefer the savoury stuff these days, I don't think I enjoy many fruits.

Banana/2=sugar/2 ie don't put as much in!