Upping calories

Options
Did anyone have trouble upping there calories

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I did, because of the shift to less calorie dense foods. It takes a while (weeks in my case each 200 cals) to get consistent. A little bit was adding to each meal but more was adding snacks between lunch and dinner and another between dinner and bed.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I did, because of the shift to less calorie dense foods. It takes a while (weeks in my case each 200 cals) to get consistent. A little bit was adding to each meal but more was adding snacks between lunch and dinner and another between dinner and bed.

Yes i been trying that, i am a picky eater so been trying to find some good snacks to eat
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I am. I've been in a deficit for so long I'm just used to it now. To reach my maintenance calories I have to eat when I'm not even hungry. I don't know what's going on, I used to be perpetually hungry and could easily hit high calories!!
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Options
    I am. I've been in a deficit for so long I'm just used to it now. To reach my maintenance calories I have to eat when I'm not even hungry. I don't know what's going on, I used to be perpetually hungry and could easily hit high calories!!

I been trying that to and still under ny calories
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Haha same here. I do not understand why I'm finding it so hard. I never thought I'd be one of those "struggling to hit my calories" people that I used to find so annoying lol This can be easily remedied though, by eating more peanut butter, oatmeal, bacon and avocado etc etc
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Options

Haha same here. I do not understand why I'm finding it so hard. I never thought I'd be one of those "struggling to hit my calories" people that I used to find so annoying lol This can be easily remedied though, by eating more peanut butter, oatmeal, bacon and avocado etc etc

I am a picky eater to, so trying to find something to eat is hard for me.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Me too it's so difficult
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nope - no difficulty at all. I like food!
    My intuitive eating level remains well above my actual needs.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Day 1 here, and I have no idea what I'm doing! :smiley:
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

On MFP
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No lol, I couldn't wait to get eating more calories at maintenance :smiley:
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Congrats on getting to maintenance :)

I gradually upped my calories to about 1600 to maintain. Suggested maintenance was about 1500, but I kept losing so gradually added daily calories until I found my right daily maintenance goal. Took sbout 2-3 months.

Meanwhile, I'm more like RunRutheeRun - no problem switching to maintenance and hitting that higher daily calorie number. Had been looking forward to 2 slices whole wheat toast with organic peanut butter in morning instead of one, etc.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    It's a mind game. I struggled the first time (as a former fat bloke I was scared of putting all the fat back on) but I slowly ramped the calories up and found maintenance: I then held for a couple of weeks before adding in more in 100 -150 calorie chunks.

I still follow this process when bulking.
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Are you saying a) you can't find enough food you like to get to your maintenance calories (you keep saying you're picky) or b) you just aren't hungry enough to eat your maintenance calories?

If A, add some of the food you used to eat when you were heavier. You wouldn't have gotten overweight if there wasn't food you liked to eat. In my case, one small homemade muffin or two cookies easily adds 150-200 calories. Your diet doesn't have to be strictly "healthy" foods. Eat a little of what you LIKE even if it doesn't contribute to your macros. It's okay. Or if what you like isn't easily/satisfactorily consumed in a tiny portion (perhaps like chicken wings or pizza with friends), perhaps plan one high calorie meal per week where you enjoy that food and the calorie overage that day balances out the deficit from several other days?

If B, do what others have suggested and trade some of your low calorie foods for higher calorie foods. For example, eating chicken instead of fish, dark meat chicken instead of white, full-fat salad dressing instead of fat-free, 2% or whole milk instead of skim, and adding some butter on your vegetables provide the same bulk in your stomach while providing more calories.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

On MFP

More Food Party?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    No problems for me. I just eat more of what I like.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Yes i been trying that, i am a picky eater so been trying to find some good snacks to eat

My afternoon snacks include Quest Bars, Fibre One bars/cookies, Lenny and Larry cookies. Basically anything with some carbs that adds in some protein. My night time snack is usually a small bowl of cereal with milk.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

lol anytime i let myself intuitively eat its always at like 2600-3200 at least , so yea no difficulty for me either
  • amyvanblaricom
    amyvanblaricom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It is harder. I could have had different foods but chose what I'm sued to and like. Felt like I was over eating just to get more calories. It used to be hard to find meals with few enough calories and now its the opposite. What makes it harder is I truly like the food I'm eating.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Haha! Me too and I have a very generous TDEE for my height, weight and age.