What times do you eat?

Replies

• michaelguzzo
    michaelguzzo Posts: 6 Member
    I eat all day long. Probably every 30 minutes I'm nibbling on something. I have a little bit plus plenty of water before my morning workout, a light breakfast before work, lunch around 11:30 or so, a snack mid day, and dinner with the family. I might have a snack in the evening but I try to avoid any carbs after 9pm. I drink a lot of water and coffee during the day too, so I think that helps suppress my appetite during the day.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    I eat when it works with my schedule. Up at 4, eat at 5, kids up at 6, out the door by 7, home agai, for lunch 11 or 12 dependng in tbe day, back work 45 minutes later, work untik 4 or 5 depending on the day, dinner by 5 or 6, snack before bed at 9ish if I have calories left.

Man...I need to simplify my life...that took way too long to type!
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    lol, well if i must be honest. I have at least 3 snacks a day in between my meals. And by snacks I mean, baby carrots, yogurt, or fruits. And once in a while I'll treat myself to an ice cream cone from McDonalds. I usually eat breakfast around 8:30-9a, snack like at 10:30a, lunch at 12:30p, snack at 3p, (i eat dinner late) usually around 6:30-7p (cause i go to bed real late), and snack like at 9p (if i get an urge to eat something). I'm eating all day and it's only cause I don't want to let my stomach realize it's empty, otherwise I may binge. That's just me though. It works for me and keeps me satisfied. I'm never eating too much during any meal because I'm not starving. Honestly, sometimes I get tired of food now which is weird but my snacks are small so it's not like I mean cake and ice cream when I say snack. Everyone is different and if you head to bed late then what's it matter if you eat a snack at 9. Maybe you can have a snack after every meal too. Kind of makes meals extra special I think.
  • KAYRRIE
    hiyomi wrote: »
    Danimri84 wrote: »
    As long as you are meeting your calorie goal, it doesn't matter when or how frequently you eat. If you are snacking in the evening and it is causing you to go over your calories, then you may need to adjust your meal/snack timing or focus on more filling foods at dinner time.

Its not causing me to go over, but many times I'll be at like 1300 calories after dinner, and will end up eating 300 calories in snacks, usually about 100 calories per snack, and some of my friends/bf question whether or not I should do that. They believe I should just eat ONE snack and save those other calories so I can lose faster. I get what they are saying, but I'm not sure if it is actually bad to do what I'm doing.

Are they already at their goal weights? 'cause if so then it doesn't matter what they say, (not sorry to say). Drives me crazy when people tell me how to eat my calories when I've already figured out the formula for myself and they're either at goal weight or aren't even trying for themselves. This is a lifetime process and you have to do what makes and keeps you happy to lose weight. If it becomes a chore and draining, you will hate it and just quit. Do what works for you best and forget the nay sayers. You will lose weight regardless as long as you stay at your calories allotted to you. Faster does not equal quality.

• KAYRRIE
    As long as you are meeting your calorie goal, it doesn't matter when or how frequently you eat. If you are snacking in the evening and it is causing you to go over your calories, then you may need to adjust your meal/snack timing or focus on more filling foods at dinner time.

Its not causing me to go over, but many times I'll be at like 1300 calories after dinner, and will end up eating 300 calories in snacks, usually about 100 calories per snack, and some of my friends/bf question whether or not I should do that. They believe I should just eat ONE snack and save those other calories so I can lose faster. I get what they are saying, but I'm not sure if it is actually bad to do what I'm doing.

If my friends started questioning when I snack, I would quickly set some firm boundaries. And if my husband started to question when I snack, I would do the same thing. Other people can "believe" all they want that I should just snack once a day, but if I decide to snack more than that, I don't really care what they think.

Exactly this! Boundaries are important to success.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member

Pretty well answered, but no, it isn't bad what you are doing. I have around 300 calories in evening snacks every day.

It sounds like what they are really doing is telling you to eat less to lose faster maybe, but really that is none of their business. You need to do what works for you, what you can do consistently and continuously.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Eat when you want. Meet your macros. If your bf insists that you conform to his choices, kick him to the curb.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    KAYRRIE wrote: »
    lol, well if i must be honest. I have at least 3 snacks a day in between my meals. And by snacks I mean, baby carrots, yogurt, or fruits. And once in a while I'll treat myself to an ice cream cone from McDonalds. I usually eat breakfast around 8:30-9a, snack like at 10:30a, lunch at 12:30p, snack at 3p, (i eat dinner late) usually around 6:30-7p (cause i go to bed real late), and snack like at 9p (if i get an urge to eat something). I'm eating all day and it's only cause I don't want to let my stomach realize it's empty, otherwise I may binge. That's just me though. It works for me and keeps me satisfied. I'm never eating too much during any meal because I'm not starving. Honestly, sometimes I get tired of food now which is weird but my snacks are small so it's not like I mean cake and ice cream when I say snack. Everyone is different and if you head to bed late then what's it matter if you eat a snack at 9. Maybe you can have a snack after every meal too. Kind of makes meals extra special I think.

I've been eating a lot less than I used to and noticed I am starting to get fuller faster with meals that I could eat like nothing before! This morning I tried infused water for the first time with lemon/tangerines and I am not hungry for lunch yet, usually I would be done eating lunch by now! I usually go to bed by 12-1AM if I need to be up early, so somtimes I will snack as late as 10-11PM. I should maybe try eating dinner a little later than 5PM if I go to bed at 12-3AM daily lol
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    8 AM Breakfast
    12 PM Lunch
    4 PM snack- ALWAYS with coffee!
    7 PM - 8:30 PM Dinner
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Eat when you want. Meet your macros. If your bf insists that you conform to his choices, kick him to the curb.

No he isn't mean or bad about it lol He just sometimes asks, I guess because in the past I would eat large, heavy snacks so maybe he worries I will deviate off track? My friends are the ones that are kinda hostile, and believe I should conform to their ways though. lol
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Timing doesn't matter.

I'm a creature of habit, so I usually eat at 6:30 (post-workout meal), 10:00 (breakfast), 1:00 (lunch), 3:00 (snack), 7:00 (dinner and dessert). I go to bed really early since I'm up at 4 to work out, so that's about an hour after I finish eating.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    M-F:
    Workout 5:30 or 6AM to 7AM
    Get ready, get kids to school and me to work
    Breakfast around 9:30AM
    Lunch around noon
    Teatime 4pm or so
    Supper around 8:30PM
    Bedtime by 9:30.

Saturday and Sunday, we usually only eat twice, no lunch:

Breakfast 9:30 or so
    Tea at 4-5pm
    OR
    Supper at 6-7pm
    often with:
    Snacks and/or drinks later
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    My schedule usually is breakfast at 8AM, lunch at 11AM-12PM, snack 1-2PM and dinner at 5PM, and snacks 8-9PM. My boyfriend always tells me that I eat too early in the day/night and that's why I tend to snack more in the evening. Should I schedule my lunch and dinner a little later to avoid this? Usually I will eat about two-three snacks in the evenings. (I haven't logged in three days since my phone was taken for repairs, in case anyone looks at my diary.)

Why is it bad to snack in the evening? Are you going over your calorie goal with your snacks? If not then it doesn't matter if you snack.

I eat around 8 AM, noon, 3 PM, 6 PM, and 9 PM similar to you. I plan my food and pre-log my whole day so I know those snacks are fine with my goals. I'm not starving all day.
  • Ree13x
    Ree13x Posts: 46 Member
    edited April 2016
    I eat constantly. While I work i eat breakfast 8:30ish after I've settled in at my desk, snack at 10:00, lunch right at noon, snack at 2:30, snack when i get home around 5ish, maybe a second if the first was small a couple hours later, and dinner with my husband around 9:30 when he gets home. however each of my meals and/or snacks is VERY light. somewhere between 50 and 200 calories. 300 at the most for dinner. If i have plans that call for heavier meals, I'll cut the snacks down to something like cucumber slices (lots of crunch with almost no calories) just to keep in the habit without running over my goals. I get the act of eating (which is very satisfying) as well as lots of different flavors throughout my day and that stops me from getting crazy cravings for anything. Also, if you want to cut back on a snack item, try a big cup of hot tea instead - surprisingly filling and so many tasty flavors to choose from.
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    I usually try to eat 4 times in a day.

Weekdays.
    Breakfast is within 30 mins of me getting up.
    Lunch noon - 1.00pm
    Evening Snacks - 5.00pm - 6.00pm
    Dinner - 8.30pm - 9.30pm

Weekends.
    Brunch (Heavy) - 10.00am - 11.00am
    Lunch - Skip
    Evening Snacks - around 4.00pm
    Dinner - Depends on if I am a guest or a host. ;-)

• Morghel
    Morghel Posts: 1 Member
    7:00AM: Breakfast
    9-10AM: Snack
    12:00PM: Lunch
    16:00PM: Snack (usually some coffee and fruit, if I'm hungry)
    19:00PM: Dinner
    10:00PM: Snack (oatmeal ftw)

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Meal timing makes no difference to weight loss or gain. You just have to find what works for you so you are happy with what you are eating and hitting your calorie goal. I always try to save 200-300 cals a day for a night-time snack, and usually eat it around 10PM. It has never kept me from losing weight as long as I stay at my goal.

Also, faster isn't necessarily better! So many people eat way too little trying to lose really fast and then rebound hard when they hit their goal weight. Losing the weight and KEEPING IT OFF is the important thing, and finding a way to diet without restricting yourself too much can really help. Good luck
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Breakfast around 8/8:30
    Lunch around 1PM
    Snack around 4 PM
    Snack around 6/6:30 PM
    Dinner around 8:30 PM
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Mornings after waking up ( anywhere between 4am till 8 am depend on my schedule) breakfast ( 200 - 300 calories)

Lunch 1:00PM ( 200-300 calories)

Snack around 4PM ( 100-200 calories)

Dinner 6:00PM ( 200-450 calories)

Snack : between 8:30PM - and midnight/bedtime...the left over calories ( 1000 calories aboutish) in ice creams/popcorn/frozen fruit/candy/more oatmeal etc etc

I tend to snack in between times on cucumber/carrots/nuts and other veggies. I eat lots of veggies/yogurt/oats and high carbs. No added salt, no cutting food groups out.

Works perfect for me since October 2014 lost 130 lbs this way. But everybody is different. I always say you have to eat the way you can sustain it for the long run. This way you wont gain weight back.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    People laugh at me for how often I eat, but oh well! I wouldn't even reply to those comments. Even if you didn't have the calories, your food is no one else's concern.

I eat every few hours, which I'm trying to switch to eating when I'm hungry (so far, it's every few hours