Why have I gained weight?

Options
Lindy0070
Lindy0070 Posts: 51 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been really good for the last two weeks, kept track of my food diary and been exercising about 5 days a week. I either swim for 45minutes or I have started going to the gym and doing mainly cardio, I.e. 25mins walking/jogging on the treadmill, bike and rower etc. Why have I gained two pounds since I last weighed? I can only put it down to my monthly cycle. Any other ideas?...........

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yep, probably water weight if you have been hitting your calorie goal.

not sure why this is in the debate forum though?
  • Lindy0070
    Options
    Where should I put my question then?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can be complicated. Have you been exercising before? If you've just started, or have increased the intensity, it is probably water weight--so just keep going. Are you weighing and measuring all your food and beverages? Do you use a digital scale? Otherwise your calorie burns from exercise can be too high. These are all things that can influence loss. I agree that this is not a debate thread. Ask the mods to move it for you.
  • Lindy0070
    Options
    Weight loss can be complicated. Have you been exercising before? If you've just started, or have increased the intensity, it is probably water weight--so just keep going. Are you weighing and measuring all your food and beverages? Do you use a digital scale? Otherwise your calorie burns from exercise can be too high. These are all things that can influence loss. I agree that this is not a debate thread. Ask the mods to move it for you.

I have upped my exercise. I used to only go swimming twice a week. I do weigh my food, especially pasta and rice and I eat very little, if any bread. Thanks for your reply. I'll keep going and hopefully it will start shifting soon. I'll try and move my question.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lindy0070 wrote: »

I have upped my exercise. I used to only go swimming twice a week. I do weigh my food, especially pasta and rice and I eat very little, if any bread. Thanks for your reply. I'll keep going and hopefully it will start shifting soon. I'll try and move my question.

All good--I swim 3 times a week+acquagym. I also started yoga and lifting last year (what a difference those two make). We're telling you to move your question to the general forums because you'll get more people reading and helping you. Alot of people have trouble starting out right. If you read the forums you'll see alot of threads like yours everyday. There's a great flow chart for people that aren't losing and are trying to figure out why. If you do a search you should be able to find it. The important thing is don't give up---ever. Best.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    If your more active than usual your muscles probably need time to recover, this can include them needing extra fluid flow to help the muscles recover and adapt to your new normal. Keep doing what your body is comfortable with, being able to put more effort in to your activity may just happen as your stamina improves, if not try to do a little more.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Where should I put my question then?

Information about Health and Fitness Debate, including a statement of the purpose of this board:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10331444/welcome-to-the-health-and-fitness-debate-category-please-read#latest

Other boards that might be more appropriate places to discuss and get support regarding your question:

General Diet and Weight Loss Help:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/general-diet-and-weight-loss-help

Getting Started:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/getting-started

Food and Nutrition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/food-and-nutrition

Fitness and Exercise:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/fitness-and-exercise
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Many women retain fluid due to menstruation, so that is a possible culprit.

A dramatic increase in exercise can also lead to fluid retention, though I would think that over the course of two weeks, that would be an unlikely cause.

Scales are like mirrors. We all want the scale to be like an accurate mirror that reflects our efforts and fat loss.

Unfortunately, the scale is more like a fun house mirror. The reflection it shows is distorted by many factors, mainly that it shows not only weight in fat, but also weight from fluid, food, waste, etc. If you are dehydrated, for example, the scale makes you look better than you actually are, kind of like when the fun house mirror gives you impossibly long, lean legs. Other times, if you are constipated or retaining fluid, then the image it shows is like the fun house mirror that makes you very short and wide.

To deal with the distorted nature of scale weight, I find it helpful to track my weight often using the Trendweight website. It helps me to not focus on the day to day changes in weight, but rather to look at the longer term trends, which tend to be a more accurate reflection of my progress.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Drink more water it flushes out retained fluids esp if you've upped exercise
    Tbh does it matter where one posts I thought it's nicer to be friendly than not
  • Lindy0070
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Drink more water it flushes out retained fluids esp if you've upped exercise
    Tbh does it matter where one posts I thought it's nicer to be friendly than not

Thanks, didn't realise there was such strict protocol!!!! I appreciate all the positive comments. Thank you all.
  • Lindy0070
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    If your more active than usual your muscles probably need time to recover, this can include them needing extra fluid flow to help the muscles recover and adapt to your new normal. Keep doing what your body is comfortable with, being able to put more effort in to your activity may just happen as your stamina improves, if not try to do a little more.

I think my body must have gone into shock!!! I've had a night off tonight so I'm back in the gym tomorrow and then swim Wednesday. Night off Thursday and then Gym Friday morning.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've been really good for the last two weeks, kept track of my food diary and been exercising about 5 days a week. I either swim for 45minutes or I have started going to the gym and doing mainly cardio, I.e. 25mins walking/jogging on the treadmill, bike and rower etc. Why have I gained two pounds since I last weighed? I can only put it down to my monthly cycle. Any other ideas?...........

Its two weeks. Takes more time.

Also be sure you are actually measuring your intake properly.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I gain about 1-2lbs before my period every month (I lose them once it is over in one go).
  • talismanicmagic
    talismanicmagic Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah. That time of the month could explain it. I can put on anywhere between .5 and 2 kg during mine. Then it disappears in a whoosh!
  • maggieeric1
    maggieeric1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Many ppl over estimate how many calories their activities actually burn. That will trip you up. Possibly.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you registered any loss? How long ago inbetween the times when you weighed?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    aww sweet the chart with the credit, I've been looking for that one.
  • Lindy0070
    Options
    izrx0vcp9g3n.jpg

Great chart!!!