Why have I gained weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Lindy0070 wrote: »
    I've been really good for the last two weeks, kept track of my food diary and been exercising about 5 days a week. I either swim for 45minutes or I have started going to the gym and doing mainly cardio, I.e. 25mins walking/jogging on the treadmill, bike and rower etc. Why have I gained two pounds since I last weighed? I can only put it down to my monthly cycle. Any other ideas?...........

The weigh-in to compare is not two weeks ago, but four weeks ago (assuming you are on a four week cycle.) Weighing every day is how I learned I gain weight at ovulation as well as when I am premenstrual. The big spike in November is water weight from starting to lift weights again. Most of the rest relates to my cycle.

o33sopdoonhx.png
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I think it was perfectly fine to post this here--I see topics like this every day in this forum. :smiley:
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I think it was perfectly fine to post this here--I see topics like this every day in this forum. :smiley:

My apologies for posting off topic, but I see there are several posts referring to early replies to this topic that mention that the post isn't in the correct forum.

This post wasn't originally posted here in the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum. It was originally posted in the Health and Fitness Debate forum.

It was moved here from the Health and Fitness Debate forum because that is a forum for debating controversial issues rather than for support. I think everyone agrees that the post is perfectly appropriate here in General Diet and Weight Loss Help.

It would be helpful if there was some type of notation added when posts are moved from one forum to another in order to avoid any confusion.
  • Lindy0070
    Lindy0070 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Thank you
  • Lindy0070
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »

My apologies for posting off topic, but I see there are several posts referring to early replies to this topic that mention that the post isn't in the correct forum.

This post wasn't originally posted here in the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum. It was originally posted in the Health and Fitness Debate forum.

It was moved here from the Health and Fitness Debate forum because that is a forum for debating controversial issues rather than for support. I think everyone agrees that the post is perfectly appropriate here in General Diet and Weight Loss Help.

It would be helpful if there was some type of notation added when posts are moved from one forum to another in order to avoid any confusion.

I didn't post this in the Health and Fitness dEbate forum to my knowledge. Anyway, I'm glad of the positive advice I have received.
  • Lindy0070
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been really good for the last two weeks, kept track of my food diary and been exercising about 5 days a week. I either swim for 45minutes or I have started going to the gym and doing mainly cardio, I.e. 25mins walking/jogging on the treadmill, bike and rower etc. Why have I gained two pounds since I last weighed? I can only put it down to my monthly cycle. Any other ideas?...........

The weigh-in to compare is not two weeks ago, but four weeks ago (assuming you are on a four week cycle.) Weighing every day is how I learned I gain weight at ovulation as well as when I am premenstrual. The big spike in November is water weight from starting to lift weights again. Most of the rest relates to my cycle.

o33sopdoonhx.png

That's very interesting to see. So how often do you log your weight?
  • brrrimcold1984
    brrrimcold1984 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

o33sopdoonhx.png

That's very interesting to see. So how often do you log your weight?

Every 4-5 days
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I didn't post this in the Health and Fitness dEbate forum to my knowledge. Anyway, I'm glad of the positive advice I have received.

The only feedback I can give you is that the Health and Fitness Debate forum is where I first saw your post. It was in that forum when I responded to your query about where you should put your question. The fact that your post was located there explains why your post received the initial responses that it did, and posters kept referring to it not being a debate, questioning why it was in the debate forum, and suggesting moving it to the general forums, where you would be most likely receive the support and advice that you were seeking.

not sure why this is in the debate forum though?

I agree that this is not a debate thread. Ask the mods to move it for you.

We're telling you to move your question to the general forums because you'll get more people reading and helping you.

Information about Health and Fitness Debate, including a statement of the purpose of this board:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10331444/welcome-to-the-health-and-fitness-debate-category-please-read#latest

• KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options

Scales are like mirrors. We all want the scale to be like an accurate mirror that reflects our efforts and fat loss.

Unfortunately, the scale is more like a fun house mirror. The reflection it shows is distorted by many factors, mainly that it shows not only weight in fat, but also weight from fluid, food, waste, etc. If you are dehydrated, for example, the scale makes you look better than you actually are, kind of like when the fun house mirror gives you impossibly long, lean legs. Other times, if you are constipated or retaining fluid, then the image it shows is like the fun house mirror that makes you very short and wide.

I love this! I understand what you're going through. Stick with it! I've been fighting this battle all my life and I refuse to give up. Persistence pays off.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Weight loss can be complicated. Have you been exercising before? If you've just started, or have increased the intensity, it is probably water weight--so just keep going. Are you weighing and measuring all your food and beverages? Do you use a digital scale? Otherwise your calorie burns from exercise can be too high. These are all things that can influence loss. I agree that this is not a debate thread. Ask the mods to move it for you.

I have upped my exercise. I used to only go swimming twice a week. I do weigh my food, especially pasta and rice and I eat very little, if any bread. Thanks for your reply. I'll keep going and hopefully it will start shifting soon. I'll try and move my question.

Do some people still actually fear bread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMLXgPD2bU