help!

Options
I can't decide if I want to do RNY or the sleeve!? Looking for input please.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You might try asking here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

It's a group for people who have had or are considering WLS.

I didn't have WLS, so I won't be able to help you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating less? Didn't that work? Find out why, and work on that. All surgery does, is forcing you to eat less. You still have to deal with your problems. The diffence is that your body is no longer intact. :/
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Modify diet instead. Read the book "The Rosedale Diet". It's really pretty simple. :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary and it's amazing.
    Sometimes near 1,000 calories.
    Why not continue this? Pretty awesome.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I've seen more people out eat surgery than I've seen it work for. Anecdotal, but just my experience. It doesn't help with habits.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lorisisler wrote: »
    I can't decide if I want to do RNY or the sleeve!? Looking for input please.

have you done MFP?
  • lorisisler
    lorisisler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have been doing great most days! I don't eat a lot, and I'm walking 12000-22000 steps a day. In 5 weeks I have lost 23 lbs. Then I will gain 4 lbs over night. Weight loss surgery isn't a fix, but a tool to help me.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I have been doing great most days! I don't eat a lot, and I'm walking 12000-22000 steps a day. In 5 weeks I have lost 23 lbs. Then I will gain 4 lbs over night. Weight loss surgery isn't a fix, but a tool to help me.

You don't gain 4 pounds overnight. That's a fluctuation due to water weight and it's normal. Weight loss is not linear. Surgery should be a last resort. It seems to me that putting yourself through that would be unnecessary.
  • lorisisler
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

You don't gain 4 pounds overnight. That's a fluctuation due to water weight and it's normal. Weight loss is not linear. Surgery should be a last resort. It seems to me that putting yourself through that would be unnecessary.
    I started at 317 now down to 294. Trying my hardest
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    4lbs over night is a natural fluctuation. You're going to see that every time you eat, with or without surgery.

How long did it take you to lose the 23lbs? Being active enough to get 22000 steps is quite impressive. Surely that's shown you that you can do this.
  • lorisisler
    Options
    5 weeks
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Yeah and it seems like you're really doing an excellent job! Ultimately what you choose is up to you, but please understand that weight will fluctuate. To gain a true four pounds of fat, you would have had to consume 14,000 calories over your maintenance the day before.

You hold water for a multitude of reasons which include a high sodium or higher carb day of food, certain times of your cycle, muscle repair after a workout, or even a change in workout routine. I'm 114 pounds but during ovulation I shoot up 2 to 4 pounds for a few days , then I return to normal. Seeing a temporary increase is not you failing at this, it's your body's natural functions. As long as the trend over time is weight loss, you're good.
  • lorisisler
    Options

Yeah and it seems like you're really doing an excellent job! Ultimately what you choose is up to you, but please understand that weight will fluctuate. To gain a true four pounds of fat, you would have had to consume 14,000 calories over your maintenance the day before.

You hold water for a multitude of reasons which include a high sodium or higher carb day of food, certain times of your cycle, muscle repair after a workout, or even a change in workout routine. I'm 114 pounds but during ovulation I shoot up 2 to 4 pounds for a few days , then I return to normal. Seeing a temporary increase is not you failing at this, it's your body's natural functions. As long as the trend over time is weight loss, you're good.

Thank you very much
  • renitamcphrsn14
    renitamcphrsn14 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your on the right track without surgery. I also started out at 317 last yr and in 7 months I had got down to 255. I got pregnant which made my weight loss go to a halt, but now I'm 3 weeks post op and up to 272. I know I can do it though, but I just make sure I don't cheat myself on mfp. I'm honest if I eat a piece of cake, I log it. I try and stay between 1200 and 1500 calories because I would like to loose 2 pounds a week. Don't give up! We can do this :)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You're doing brilliantly and while it's up to you I would carry on as you are. There's lots of reasons you could have put on 4lb overnight but none of them is putting on fat.

Back in November my GP told me that the only way I'd lose weight is surgery. I was 289.5lb back then and decided that I was going to prove him wrong. Now just 5 months later I'm down 63lb and a much healthier 226lb (with at least another 90lb to go). But my weight loss hasn't been linear, there have been weeks when I've lost 5lb+ and others when I've lost 0.2lb. There have been days when the weight has gone up and days when it's stayed the same as well as the days when it's gone down. But the overall result is weight loss trending at 3lb a week.

Your 20000 steps is brilliant and I bet you enjoy the 1000 or so extra calories a day they give you, I know I do. Keep plugging away and remember this isn't a diet it's a life style change.
  • lorisisler
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    You're doing brilliantly and while it's up to you I would carry on as you are. There's lots of reasons you could have put on 4lb overnight but none of them is putting on fat.

Back in November my GP told me that the only way I'd lose weight is surgery. I was 289.5lb back then and decided that I was going to prove him wrong. Now just 5 months later I'm down 63lb and a much healthier 226lb (with at least another 90lb to go). But my weight loss hasn't been linear, there have been weeks when I've lost 5lb+ and others when I've lost 0.2lb. There have been days when the weight has gone up and days when it's stayed the same as well as the days when it's gone down. But the overall result is weight loss trending at 3lb a week.

Your 20000 steps is brilliant and I bet you enjoy the 1000 or so extra calories a day they give you, I know I do. Keep plugging away and remember this isn't a diet it's a life style change.
    That gives me hope. Thank you!! I actually don't eat the extra calories that I earn from walking. Some days even with three meals it's hard for me to even hit 1000 calories. I already have a surgery date, however I'm trying to see how much I can lose on my own.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

What are you worried about? That's amazing loss.
    The recommended maximum anyone should lose is 2lbs per week.

Instead of WLS, try and lower your expectations, you're doing great. Trust in the process since it didn't take little time to gain the weight.

You've got this...just keep going.

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

That is incredible progress!

My advice: take a deep breath. You didn't get to 317 quickly; it took a long time, of consistently bad eating habits. Getting healthy will be the flip-side of the same coin: a long time, of consistently good eating habits.

4 pounds per week is possibly too aggressive. I would suggest you look up TDEE calculators, and then set your caloric goal at 1,000 calories below TDEE to average 2 lbs weightloss per week.

In the coming months, calculate your TDEE at your target body-weight, and whenever your caloric goal at 2 lbs per week would drop below your target TDEE, just adopt that as your new goal.

Your weight loss will slow down over time, but once you're at your target goal, you will have habituated the healthy eating habits that will help you maintain.
  • lorisisler
    Options
    My choice is sleeve!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My choice is sleeve!

That's a shame, but good luck