To run or not to run?

Options

Replies

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I hate it too so I switched to swimming for cardio, less stress on my legs and a more complete fully body workout. The different strokes also allow you to add some variety
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I hate running. Jogging on the other hand I kinda like. I just cant do it for long. Any advice on how to get up to doing it longer? Does it even burn that many more calories than just walking? I need to torch some calories and loose weight, seems like the skinny folk are always runners.

If you hate it don't do it. Find something you enjoy doing instead because there is nothing special about running. It's perfectly fine for those who love it, I am just a firm believer that fitness should be something you look forward to doing. There are so many choices, don't force yourself to do something you hate...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you like running, run. Find a beginner's program like C25K and start from there. If you prefer walking, walk. Or dance. Or swim. Or get a bike. Or whatever else you think is fun. Exercise will be effective if you like it enough to actually do it.

^^^^^^this!!!!
  • 2nd_Fiddle
    2nd_Fiddle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The best fitness program for you involves what you enjoy because you are most likely to stick with it long term. Experiment with a variety of methods (swim, bike, jog, zumba, etc.). You'll find what works best for you. The most important thing is to keep moving. You can do this!
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It's probably been said but if you have a smart phone - try out some of the great couch to 5k apps...they'll slowly get you increasing the amount you run/jog! But agreed, do an activity you enjoy.
  • Jupither
    Jupither Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In general I do agree with everyone saying do what you enjoy, but from my personal experience: For me it took actually going running twice a week for a few weeks until I started liking it. Now I love it for itself and the calorie burn is just an added benefit.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I never ran/jogged in my whole life until I was over 40 years old - thought I "couldnt" because my jaw would hurt and I would get side stitches and not be able to breath. Then one day I was trying to run (because my trainer is evil and assigned it to me) but had a mild cold so put a cough drop in my mouth and took some tylenol first. OMG - I jogged for two straight miles (from almost nothing before that). The cough drop not only cleared up my nasal passages so I could breath through my nose easier but forced me to breath through my nose. Breathing through my mouth was what caused the jaw pain and the heavy breathing dried out my mouth bad. The tylenol helped me not focus on pain and no side stitch!

Also, I was always trying to "run" or even "jog" way too fast. Most beginners apparently do. They say to start out jogging SLOWER than you walk. It sounds odd, but it really does help with going longer in the beginning. Build up not only the endurance but the speed slowly.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    How do you define the difference?

Jogging I can do for a while. Running is hard and too fast a pace for me to keep up for very long.

Some solid advice posted already. I've worked with a running coach for several years and one thing he suggests for all his new runners is for them to run at a "conversational" pace. As an example, if you are running at this pace, you should be able to say your name and address fairly easily without gasping for breath. So if you can "jog" for a while, just start out there.

Finding and using a training plan will show you how to build distance and speed. This type of activity, performed consistently, and coupled with a SOLID NUTRITION PLAN, should help you achieve your weight loss goals.

Good luck.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Running and jogging are the same thing, though...? :confused:

Running doesn't have to be fast - and in fact, I often see people encourage beginners to NOT try to run quickly. I'm doing Z5K and that's one of the things they encourage - run, but at a pace that's manageable. Towards the end of things, my "run" is probably about the same pace as my walking.

If you don't like running, then don't. Find something you DO enjoy.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I hated running, I would go out and run three miles huffing and puffing only to get sore knees so I gave up. I then started walking several miles a day. I started playing Ingress.com (GPS based game) to give me something to do on the walks. It was fun and I began to run in between portals. That slow start and interval was just what I needed and I gradually built up time and miles. I suddenly realized I am a runner and no knee pain. I like to run 25 miles a week now and it helped me lose 50 pounds. My running allows me to have some extra calories for wine and beer.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of running. Can do it anywhere with just a pair of sneakers. It just seems healthy to be able to go out and run a few miles. In my early 20s, I ran consistently (though never quickly) and even ran a half marathon at some point.

I'm building up again now. Currently on week 7 of C25K. At this point it's not my primary focus since I want to build some muscle through weight lifting, but it's nice to have variety, IMO.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I hear "jogging is running" all the time and realize that semantically, jogging is just a word for a type of running, but these feel different to me.

Jogging is throttled. I am more upright, smaller steps, prancing along - I want this jog to develop into something that can go for miles, and have felt that before, the feeling like I could sustain it for a long long time, it is the mile-eating sustainable jog. I can power-walk as fast or faster than I can jog, BTW. It's slow, when it's good it's under 10 minutes per mile but not by much, (but I am slow).

Running - I do know some people can run for miles at what looks like my RUN, but I can't. Running for me is leaned forward more, more air time, this moves me forward at 7-8minutes/mile or faster and the longest I have ever maintained it, at a mini-peak of fitness, was one mile, 8 minutes and I about died after.

When I "go for a run" I jog most of it and speed up at the end and run some.

So yeah, of course, jogging and sprinting are subsets of running, but it's not silly to say there is a difference between running and jogging, and most people separate these in training, slow easy runs (jog) and faster runs and sprints.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Fwiw a 10 minute mile isn't all that slow. That's my easy pace for running.

This evening my training run will be at that pace, tomorrow I'll do a similar distance but at a nine minute mile, then at the weekend two back to back long runs at a ten minute mile again.

My race pace for 10K and half marathon is faster, for Marathon it's a little slower.

Running isn't an exclusive sport. People who belittle other runners based on pace are c#ckwombles.

Plus the fact it's always joggers that find the dead bodies...
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I know why people think jogging and running aren't the same thing - I call all of it "running" but the spectrum is pretty wide.

I sometimes go out and do "intervals" where I sprint for some period of time and then walk/jog to recover, then sprint again. When I do that, goshdurnit, I'm RUNNING!

If I go out and jog 3 miles, well, I call it running, but I expect a lot of people wouldn't. My dog doesn't think so. He's pretty much walking. Maybe a little more briskly than he normally does. And he seems annoyed with me for holding him back. Jerk. (Our "jog" isn't even close to a 10-minute mile anymore.)

If you can find joy in any of the above or anything in between, then do it, and yes, you'll burn way more calories than walking alone (I saw a recent analysis of this, actually - where was that?) But if you hate it, don't force it. There are lots of other ways to get your exercise in and if you enjoy it, you'll keep doing it. Life's too short.
  • spankmonkeycfc
    spankmonkeycfc Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly, but have you tried the zombie running app?? The best thing to have is a running mate/buddy, it forces you to put your trainers on when you really don't want to...
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    How do you define the difference?

Jogging I can do for a while. Running is hard and too fast a pace for me to keep up for very long.

Oh? Then I never run :)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly, but have you tried the zombie running app?? The best thing to have is a running mate/buddy, it forces you to put your trainers on when you really don't want to...

I live in the city and run in the morning before dawn, this would TERRIFY me. I feel like people who use this must live in exceptionally safe places? We don't have zombies, but I do try to stay aware of what's around me. Quiet music in one ear...One time the early morning DJ decided to do radio theater instead of music, for halloween. A week of horror instead of music. I had to run without the headphones those days.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I hear "jogging is running" all the time and realize that semantically, jogging is just a word for a type of running, but these feel different to me.

Jogging is throttled. I am more upright, smaller steps, prancing along - I want this jog to develop into something that can go for miles, and have felt that before, the feeling like I could sustain it for a long long time, it is the mile-eating sustainable jog. I can power-walk as fast or faster than I can jog, BTW. It's slow, when it's good it's under 10 minutes per mile but not by much, (but I am slow).

Running - I do know some people can run for miles at what looks like my RUN, but I can't. Running for me is leaned forward more, more air time, this moves me forward at 7-8minutes/mile or faster and the longest I have ever maintained it, at a mini-peak of fitness, was one mile, 8 minutes and I about died after.

When I "go for a run" I jog most of it and speed up at the end and run some.

So yeah, of course, jogging and sprinting are subsets of running, but it's not silly to say there is a difference between running and jogging, and most people separate these in training, slow easy runs (jog) and faster runs and sprints.

This is your very personal definition, it is not a term that others use in the same way :)
    It sounds like you are a slow runner. Nothing wrong with it and no reason to give it an alternative name.
  • TaraHancock827
    TaraHancock827 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been so helpful...think I will just not jog or run...ill do something else that I enjoy. I always thought jogging or running helped you to loose weight faster. Thanks!!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been so helpful...think I will just not jog or run...ill do something else that I enjoy. I always thought jogging or running helped you to loose weight faster. Thanks!!

I don't get it. You say you hate running and like jogging but then decided you are not going to jog or run? I don't race, I don't even try to run very fast. I only started running last year. I ran 1000+ miles for the year, and I plan to do it again this year. I have settled in on a very comfortable pace between 9-10 min/mile and it gives me a great calorie burn as well as a calming, meditative effect. It is one of my higher burning and almost effortless categories and I don't have to wait for gym equipment or dry off after coming out of a pool. If you like jogging, give it a fair chance. Forgot about going as fast as everyone else. Just run at your own pace, and continue to increase the distance (sensibly).