trying to lose weight but have hypoglycemia?

Options

Replies

• EMERALDberry
    EMERALDberry Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor but as far as I'm aware hypoglycaemia is a symptom rather than an illness on its own. Your sugar can fall for some reason but not be low in general unless you are diabetic or have other conditions which can cause it to fall on certain occasions.

Are you sure you got hypoglycaemic attack and not an anxiety attack?

You are exactly correct! Hypoglycemia is a step toward diabetes. It occurs when one eats too many carbs and their blood sugar goes out of whack. When my doctor told me I was borderline hypoglycemic, I thought that was a good thing. I said, "cool, isn't that the opposite of diabetes?" He said, no, it's a step towards diabetes, GET OFF THE CARBS! Needless to say, I took his advice. Days I wake up and feel like I am going to throw up if I don't eat something quick, I know that the previous day I had too many carbs or too much aspartame. Aspartame causes hypoglycemia and worsens diabetes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but as far as I'm aware hypoglycaemia is a symptom rather than an illness on its own. Your sugar can fall for some reason but not be low in general unless you are diabetic or have other conditions which can cause it to fall on certain occasions.

You are exactly correct! Hypoglycemia is a step toward diabetes. It occurs when one eats too many carbs and their blood sugar goes out of whack. When my doctor told me I was borderline hypoglycemic, I thought that was a good thing. I said, "cool, isn't that the opposite of diabetes?" He said, no, it's a step towards diabetes, GET OFF THE CARBS! Needless to say, I took his advice. Days I wake up and feel like I am going to throw up if I don't eat something quick, I know that the previous day I had too many carbs or too much aspartame. Aspartame causes hypoglycemia and worsens diabetes.

No, chronic hypoglycemia is a real medical concern that some non-diabetics have. Most commonly, it is reactive hypoglycemia - these people have over-production of insulin in response to BG spikes. It is not a cause of diabetes, nor is it an indicator that one is developing diabetes. In fact, there is more than one "type" of diabetes (they are different diseases entirely) and chronic hypoglycemia is not a symptom of any of them.

As to aspartame causing hypoglycemia and "worsening" diabetes, you must have been reading some of the junk pages. Neither is true. Again, it doesn't worsen any of the many types of diabetes. It also does not cause hypoglycemia. That is something you might see from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Usually the explanation is that our pancreas releases insulin in response to taste buds, and so when we taste something sweet, we release insulin. That isn't true - insulin response does not take cues from taste buds, but from BG. If your BG is high, you release insulin regardless of what you ate. This is how it works for non-diabetics, of course.
  • EMERALDberry
    Options
    midwest, not sure where YOU get your info from, but mine is straight from the medical community. I think I'll stay with my knowledge.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    midwest, not sure where YOU get your info from, but mine is straight from the medical community. I think I'll stay with my knowledge.

Can you cite some peer-reviewed journal articles? I read them regularly, I live with type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes, and by age 10 had received more training on type 1 diabetes (I didn't have type 2 until a few years later) than most physicians. Since then, I've continued to learn about all forms and issues related to diabetes, including some related to diabetes (including hypoglycemia).

Here's a simple explanation: If aspartame decreased BG, most who consumed aspartame would require medical attention and it would not be on the market. Aspartame is one of the most researched food ingredients in the U.S. (actually, it may be #1) with more than 100 studies completed. The two that show aspartame is harmful have been discredited because the researcher tampered with the studies and when they still didn't give her the negative results she was hoping for, she falsely reported the data and came to a conclusion that didn't fit the real data collected. I'll be interested to see if her articles are what you cite in support of this explanation.

Frankly, I don't care what you do for your own health. But for the benefit of others reading this thread, I won't allow you to post something to blatantly wrong unchecked.
  • EMERALDberry
    Options
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx Here's 1 link. And by the way, midwest, you are NOT an expert, nor am I. It's like those who still believe that eating eggs worsens cholesterol and because of new studies there are those who do not believe this. You believe what you want to and I'll believe what I want to and you CANNOT prove that the info I know is false.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx Here's 1 link. And by the way, midwest, you are NOT an expert, nor am I. It's like those who still believe that eating eggs worsens cholesterol and because of new studies there are those who do not believe this. You believe what you want to and I'll believe what I want to and you CANNOT prove that the info I know is false.

Even if I were to accept this as an accurate article, which I can't (it misinterprets and combines different actual research improperly), it would prove that aspartame raises BG, not lowers it. So your point that aspartame causes hypoglycemia is wrong.
  • EMERALDberry
    edited April 2016
    Options

Even if I were to accept this as an accurate article, which I can't (it misinterprets and combines different actual research improperly), it would prove that aspartame raises BG, not lowers it. So your point that aspartame causes hypoglycemia is wrong.

Oh, so you're smarter than a doctor????? NOT!! Time to block a fool.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Mercola is an AIDS denier; not only that, but he claims that one of his "miracle superfoods" fight the HIV virus directly.

Do you have an actual reputable source to cite?
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    What are your stats? Maybe you are cutting way too much.

How tall? How much do you weigh? How much are you trying to lose a week?

Honestly on 1300 cals I am ready to eat carpet and feel like crap.

im 5'4 and 122.

At 5'4 and 122 pounds you shouldn't be trying to lose more than 0.5 pounds per week. Enjoy those extra calories!

How old are you and what's your goal weight?

I'm 18 and my goal weight is 99. Yes, I know that sounds low. But I have very small bone structure and last time I weighed 99 I looked and felt my best (and the doctor said that was an okay weight for me).

The dr told you that you can eat less than 1300 calories a day at your age and aim to become underweight, while you feel ill from eating too little?

They said nothing about calories, but when i did weigh 99 pounds they said I was healthy. 99 pounds isn't necessarily underweight. It depends on your bone structure.
  • xxgabriellaxxchanelxx
    xxgabriellaxxchanelxx Posts: 62 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

No need to fight, people. I did some research on this, and as far as I can tell, there is no information concerning reactive hypoglycemia being "a step towards diabetes". According to what I could find on medical sites, it seemed to be that pre diabetes can be related to non-diabetic hypoglycemia in SOME CASES. And it it a real medical condition, from what I can find. They said it's a 'rare condition' which is funny because three other people in my immediate family have it as well (the non-diabetic version). I almost wonder if it's somewhat hereditary.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

No, chronic hypoglycemia is a real medical concern that some non-diabetics have. Most commonly, it is reactive hypoglycemia - these people have over-production of insulin in response to BG spikes. It is not a cause of diabetes, nor is it an indicator that one is developing diabetes. In fact, there is more than one "type" of diabetes (they are different diseases entirely) and chronic hypoglycemia is not a symptom of any of them.

As to aspartame causing hypoglycemia and "worsening" diabetes, you must have been reading some of the junk pages. Neither is true. Again, it doesn't worsen any of the many types of diabetes. It also does not cause hypoglycemia. That is something you might see from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Usually the explanation is that our pancreas releases insulin in response to taste buds, and so when we taste something sweet, we release insulin. That isn't true - insulin response does not take cues from taste buds, but from BG. If your BG is high, you release insulin regardless of what you ate. This is how it works for non-diabetics, of course.

People can have an insulin response from seeing food or even thinking about food, so an insulin response to tasting something fake sweet isn't exactly a wild theory.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

People can have an insulin response from seeing food or even thinking about food, so an insulin response to tasting something fake sweet isn't exactly a wild theory.

No, your body does not create insulin because you see or think about food. If that were true, everyone would be hypoglycemic nearly all the time. The ambulances would never make it if they have to drive by restaurants or billboards for restaurants on the way because the paramedics would pass out and crash from hypoglycemia. Where do people get these ideas?
  • umayster
    Options
    Today I was doing so well. I ended my last meal at only 1300 calories for the whole day. And then my hypoglycemia attack hit and I started getting weak, tired, shaky, panic-y and devoured probably 300 extra calories just so i wouldn't pass out. I'm not diabetic btw, just hypoglycemic. How am i supposed to lose weight if i keep getting these attacks from a calorie deficit? Anyone else dealing with this?

While I'm probably not full blown hypoglycemic, I could never eat only carbs on an empty stomach without becoming non-functional. I'd always feel like crap after eating much in the way of carbs and especially so if no fat or protein at same time. I tried low glycemic index carbs for a long time.

Feeling best after eating protein or fat led me to try making carbs a very small proportion of diet. I eat about 25-45gr of carbs a day and no more crashing. Problem solved and lost weight very easily when I stopped having the urge to chase the low with more food. Joy!
  • umayster
    Options

No, your body does not create insulin because you see or think about food. If that were true, everyone would be hypoglycemic nearly all the time. The ambulances would never make it if they have to drive by restaurants or billboards for restaurants on the way because the paramedics would pass out and crash from hypoglycemia. Where do people get these ideas?

Research in human nutrition.

I'm fairly certain your supposition and scenario above is not a product of research.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited April 2016
    Options

I'm fairly certain your supposition and scenario above is not a product of research.

I've been eating for nearly 31 years and have been taking insulin for 21 years. I know how food and insulin affect BG. Can you cite studies as to how looking at food provides "human nutrition?"

Edited for clarification: I literally watch how various things affect BG all day every day, and have been doing so for decades.
  • umayster
    Options

I've been eating for nearly 31 years and have been taking insulin for 21 years. I know how food and insulin affect BG. Can you cite studies as to how looking at food provides "human nutrition?"

Edited for clarification: I literally watch how various things affect BG all day every day, and have been doing so for decades.

Nope, can't. No one said that, no studies needed.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Please explain exactly how you are suggesting that looking at food or thinking about food will cause an insulin release. So far, you're answer is this, which doesn't answer the question:

• Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Please explain exactly how you are suggesting that looking at food or thinking about food will cause an insulin release.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3894001/
    The NIH is reputable, no?
  • umayster
    Options

Please explain exactly how you are suggesting that looking at food or thinking about food will cause an insulin release. So far, you're answer is this, which doesn't answer the question:

Research like this, swish and spit promotes a Cephalic phase insulin release - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18556090

There is more - insulin can rise prior to BG contrary to statements above. Human nutrition is a big messy topic with very marginal and incomplete understanding.

I refuse to pretend that I know everything about everybody just because I read a lot and have dealt with a problem for a long time but am very determined to keep an open mind and keep learning!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Dana_E wrote: »

Please explain exactly how you are suggesting that looking at food or thinking about food will cause an insulin release.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3894001/
    The NIH is reputable, no?

The NIH republished this article, but didn't write it. The article contains no primary research, only secondary research. I can tell you only read the abstract because the 2nd point made in the abstract has a lot of caveats that you would have noticed if you were to read the actual article (hint: page 10, 2nd paragraph). In short: This doesn't mean what you think it means.