Cheap healthy meals NYC

Options
So I find myself walking around aimlessly at lunch. Anyone have suggestions for eating healthy in NYC with out breaking the bank?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Which area are you in?
  • WildWhiteHall
    WildWhiteHall Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lower Manhattan
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cheap is a relative term. Try Spring X Lafayette vegetarian restaurant ( SW corner). Still on Spring between Lafayette and Mulberry there are a salad bar and a creperrie. Or just go to Chinatown...
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a sandwich at home and eat it for lunch?
  • WildWhiteHall
    Options
    I'll have to try that out. And it's not always as easy as bringing a sandwich with my work schedule
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread has what they call the "Clean Pairings" menu, where every combination is 500 or fewer calories. At their website you can check out what pairings you'd like. Choose 1 item, and the system will only let you choose another item that falls within 500 calories. Figure out a few combinations that you like, and write them down so you'll know what to order when you get there. Most of the Panera's let you order ahead so you don't have to wait in a long line at lunchtime.

There's also a printed menu you can get at Panera restaurants - but the online tool makes it very easy to figure out.

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/featured-menu/clean-pairings-menu.html

ALSO...wandering around during your lunch break is good exercise!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Once slice of cheese pizza or two probably fits into your calorie plan.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC and it got to the point where I was spending 15 bucks on lunch every day. I had to knock it off, plus my guesstimating wasn't good enough anymore. I bring lunch now.

But if you wanna go cheap just stop into a bodega and get a sandwich and apple.
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    If you're going to a bodega, you can pick up a container of yogurt and some fruit or veg to go with it. Get whatever type of yogurt fits your calories - anything non-fat regular yogurt to full-fat greek yogurt.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Pizza with veggies - one slice
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    soup? panera as someone mentioned, dig inn, natureworks. try looking on seamless and filtering for "healthy"
  • WildWhiteHall
    Options
    Panera sounds like a good option. Not sure if there any near me. I'll have to check it. And yeah the yogurt and fruit combo I have many times. Good way to stay satisfied and not starve. At the end of the day it is what it is. We all know NYC is expensive either way. Thanks for the input all.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Panera sounds like a good option. Not sure if there any near me. I'll have to check it. And yeah the yogurt and fruit combo I have many times. Good way to stay satisfied and not starve. At the end of the day it is what it is. We all know NYC is expensive either way. Thanks for the input all.

Yeah we don't really have chains like that in Manhattan...or much in the city. I don't think I've seen a Panera unless it was way far out in the boroughs..

• WildWhiteHall
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah I can't think of one. Only one I know of is in bay ridge
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    Panera lower Manhattan locations:
    10 Union Square East
    330 7th Ave
    304 Park Ave South

Google is your friend. :)

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Chop't isn't very expensive and is very filling. Sweet Green is also a good option.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Chop't isn't very expensive and is very filling. Sweet Green is also a good option.

I pass a Chop't going to and from my jobs on Thursday. Maybe I'll stop in sometime.

Dig Inn isn't TOO bad. You can get a meal for 8-10. I think there are some downtown too. Pretty fresh and good. And the serving sizes are not too big.

https://www.diginn.com/locations/
  • WildWhiteHall
    Options
    After working in midtown and now Lower Manhattan. It's like night and day with food choices. Also everything done here by Whitehall street closes so early. Some places close at 8pm!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Are you near Roast Kitchen at all? It's on Water St. Very "healthy" and easy to control what goes in as far as oil and carbs go. I'm not sure of the pricing but I think it's under 10.
  • WildWhiteHall
    Options
    I've never heard of roast. I'm a frequent visitor of flavors. Everything seems healthy and well prepared. But I'm starting to get sick of it. I'll have to check it out.