Any other special needs parents here?

Options

Replies

• JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    My sweet boy is 10 years old and was diagnosed with Autism right before he turned 3 and when he was 4 we found out he has a rare chromosome deletion. He's non verbal for the most part and has many sensory issues and developmental delays. He has been attending a school for children with special needs since he turned 3. It can be so overwhelming and draining but also so rewarding. Becoming a mother made me a better person but more so his mother. If anyone ever wants to vent or share anything I'm here!
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    One of my 7 year old boys has hydrocephalus, cerebral palsy, leukamalacia, epilepsy, cortical visual impairment, chiari malformation, and is generally developmentally delayed. He's a super hero though! :)
  • jennineguidry1964
    jennineguidry1964 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have custody of our 7 year old autistic grandson. We have had him 18 months now. We went from empty nesters to full time grandparents. I know exactly what your stress level may be. He's awesome, and we both will be sad when he goes back home with his mother.
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have 3 ASD kids. They are my life, the joy and stress. My 10 yo is high functioning, with anxiety and sensory issues My 8 year old is considered low functioning, non verbal and just getting toilet trained. She can be aggressive and self injurious. My 3 yo is somewhere in the middle, with greater than one year delay in all areas. All of my thoughts and everything I do is about therapy, training, abilities for years. I've taken a step back and decided this year is about what we can do, as a family. To enjoy them, and make our overall happiness and health take priority. I've lost ~75 lbs so far in the last year and a bit, and learned to run and lift weights as stress relief and me time. I need to be around to take care of them, and to physically keep up with their needs. And we need to live.
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My youngest child has autism he is 12 years old attends a special school he hated primary school. Loves his new school xx
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I've been married to my husband for three years and now I have a stepson 24 years old my stepson has some autism but he's able to drive and hold a job at a factory.
    I have worked a job ,working with mentally disabled people. I see a lot of likenesses ,for example when he gets mad he bites his tongue in pounds his fist together. He lacks every day commonsense. If something is out of routine he gets angry easily. As long as he gets to do what he wants,and no one bothers him he is happy. I haven't seen very much compassion or empathy, it's sad.
    I used to think that he was just acting like a jerk.i did some research with his family there has been some mental illness and along with down syndrome and ect.so now I look at it from a different perspective
    I have mentioned to his dad that he may need some medical attention or some medication. But his dad is in denial. So now in the meantime his son has been medicating his self with alcohol ( he started this passed winter) it's just a bad situation.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    There is no Asperger's anymore. Its a part of the Autism Spectrum. No one should be diagnosing that anymore.

My child was diagnosed years ago. It's sometimes easier to explain to others who are not familiar with the changes in diagnosis criteria. I don't like labels either, but sometimes it's less confusing.
  • Magnus919
    Magnus919 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    There is no Asperger's anymore. Its a part of the Autism Spectrum. No one should be diagnosing that anymore.

That's true in the United States, but it's not globally true. And many Americans got their Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis when it was still valid. That diagnosis did not disappear.

Importantly, autistic adults who have been given a diagnosis of "Asperger's Syndrome" often choose to identify very strongly with it. It's important to allow people that are part of a class choose their own identity language.

I am autistic. I do not "have autism", "suffer with autism", and if anyone prefers to say that I'm "on the autism spectrum" to avoid saying "autistic", I like to reassure them that I am very comfortable with and prefer to be called an "autistic person" or "autistic man" or even "autist". Likewise, you'll find a lot of people who were Dx'd with "Asperger's Syndrome" self-identifying as "Aspies". I respect their choice.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My wife works with individuals with special needs. It's amazing what they can teach us.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I just got a diagnosis for my son last night, we have known that there was something a little different about him but Doctors said no he is a normal, healthy boy. Well the evaluations came back that my 5 year old has ADHD, anxiety, and falls on the high functioning Autism Spectrum, or Aspergers if it were still a diagnosis.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    I just got a diagnosis for my son last night, we have known that there was something a little different about him but Doctors said no he is a normal, healthy boy. Well the evaluations came back that my 5 year old has ADHD, anxiety, and falls on the high functioning Autism Spectrum, or Aspergers if it were still a diagnosis.

Sounds similar to my son. We are investigating an autism diagnosis. The best thing was getting him diagnosed. He's no dummy he will tell people that now we know about his ADHD he is much better. He is doing better at school, etc too
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My son is scarily smart, it is just he is lacking in the social aspects. He does not understand personal space, or boundaries. He will get right up to another person, almost in their face, and shout, as he also does not understand volume control. He is my little buddy so I want to learn as much as I can to help and support him.
  • Arwen1218
    Arwen1218 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi! My oldest daughter, 17, had Asperger's, Sensory Perception Disorder, Depression and Anxiety Disorders. Like many of the other parents on her I love my daughter more than anything in this world but struggle everyday to find balance. I have two other girls and I find it difficult to manage my time between them making sure everyone gets mom time. I would love to chat with you and be MFP friends to help you through whatever you need. As parents of special needs children it's important to find support and friendship to keep us balanced.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    My son is scarily smart, it is just he is lacking in the social aspects. He does not understand personal space, or boundaries. He will get right up to another person, almost in their face, and shout, as he also does not understand volume control. He is my little buddy so I want to learn as much as I can to help and support him.

Yup...sounds familiar but the volume control...he doesn't like loud things
    but he can tell you all sorts of things. His teacher was telling me today he's been spacey but asks questions...he's so smart you know she prefaced it with
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My daughter (6) has vision problems: amblyopia, strabismus (esotropia), and poor depth perception. We're also thinking she has a visual processing disorder, and potentially an auditory processing disorder.

The stress is very real.
  • RecklessCalamity
    RecklessCalamity Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I have a special needs child too. Learning, speech and motor skill delays. No diagnosis. Any of you feel free to FR me.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have 2 autistic children my son is 13 and my daughter is 11