Starting 30 days shred Who is in???

i need help.. never exercised before

Replies

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    That's a tough one to start with. I have done it before. Try to build each time you do it.
  • GilaniAlex
    GilaniAlex Posts: 20 Member
    quote="jandsstevenson887;36126343"]That's a tough one to start with. I have done it before. Try to build each time you do it.[/quote]
    i tried it ast year but only for 6 days and i felt more bulky so i stopped[
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    30 day shred has been working really well for me. I don't really know how much it has contributed to my weight loss, but I feel stronger. My upper body strength in particular is noticeably better. I just started level three yesterday.

I don't do it everyday, only days where I don't go to the gym. Also, I did level 1 for ages before moving onto level 2, and did level 2 about 15 times before trying level 3.
  • GilaniAlex
    30 day shred has been working really well for me. I don't really know how much it has contributed to my weight loss, but I feel stronger. My upper body strength in particular is noticeably better. I just started level three yesterday.

I don't do it everyday, only days where I don't go to the gym. Also, I did level 1 for ages before moving onto level 2, and did level 2 about 15 times before trying level 3.

IS IT NORMAL TO FEEL BIT BULKY IN THE BEGINING
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    GilaniAlex wrote: »

What do you mean by bulky? If you mean sore then yes that's totally normal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    i need help.. never exercised before

I don't think the 30 DS is a good choice for overweight people new to exercise, as seen by all these people who developed knee and back issues:

http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/product-reviews/B00127RAJY/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2016

Bulky? Slow down. ;)

The reason why you 'feel' "bulky" is due to water retention in the muscle for repair. There is no way one can build muscle with 3-5lb weights in a calorie deficit in days.

Repeat: this is just fluid retention. It is very hard for women to bulk. Don't give up due to fluid retention. Think about this: Do those 2 women alongside Jillian look 'bulky'? I think not, and they've been working out for years.

Oh, and I started 30DS @ 260lbs. It can be done. No knee problems due to the workouts. If you modify where needed and watch your form, you should be okay.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Shred is very squat heavy. If you're new to exercise, you can have extreme muscle soreness and stiffness from the number of squats in Level 1. My recommendation would be to start with squats and lunges and increase the reps slowly. When you're no longer sore from that, then start Level 1 with no weights at all. Once the movements in level 1 start to feel easier, then add a very low weight. When that is easier, increase to a slightly higher weight. It's ok to stay on a level for several weeks before moving to the next - level 1 is my favorite so I tend to do it for a couple months before moving on. I'm dealing with some foot issues right now and missing Shred!
  • kirayng2
    kirayng2 Posts: 36 Member
    I started this exercise after many doubts due to the reported injuries and emphasis on old-school moves that most people don't bother with or know don't work that well; I did 3 days so far, one day off and two days in a row and I'm already having issues. I have worked on my feet all of my life so risking my knees and back is not something I can do. I would caution anyone starting this to thoroughly read reviews and get a check in with your doctor before starting it.
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    I'm in! Starting this later today! I'm sure I'll be whining about how much I ache and how I can't do proper push ups so will be nice to have someone to whine with! :D
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    I do 30DS workouts often. I think if anyone's having knee/back issues, they are doing the exercises improperly. Jillian is very careful to inform viewers regarding proper technique to avoid issues. I love the workouts and feel stronger. There are modifications to most of the moves. Start with push-ups on your knees, or with legs straight and leaning against the counter top. The idea is to build strength/stamina.
  • GilaniAlex
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    I do 30DS workouts often. I think if anyone's having knee/back issues, they are doing the exercises improperly. Jillian is very careful to inform viewers regarding proper technique to avoid issues. I love the workouts and feel stronger. There are modifications to most of the moves. Start with push-ups on your knees, or with legs straight and leaning against the counter top. The idea is to build strength/stamina.

hey is it normal to feel bulky
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Equus5374 wrote: »

hey is it normal to feel bulky

Why do you keep asking the same question over and over again? People have been replying to your question. The 'bulky' feeling was explained to you in many, many posts...
    Such as these:

Bulky? Slow down. ;)

The reason why you 'feel' "bulky" is due to water retention in the muscle for repair. There is no way one can build muscle with 3-5lb weights in a calorie deficit in days.

Repeat: this is just fluid retention. It is very hard for women to bulk. Don't give up due to fluid retention. Think about this: Do those 2 women alongside Jillian look 'bulky'? I think not, and they've been working out for years.

Oh, and I started 30DS @ 260lbs. It can be done. No knee problems due to the workouts. If you modify where needed and watch your form, you should be okay.
    shell1005 wrote: »
    There is no way, no how that people are actually bulking up with the 30 Day Shred. It uses light weights and moderately intense cardio. As others have said, if there is a sense of bulking...it's water retention for working new muscles, but it's not bulk, especially for women.

Also, there are many 30DS posts you've asked this on. Please read the responses.
    YOU ARE NOT GETTING BULKY ON 30DS! It is temporary fluid retention in the muscles. It takes much much much more work than the 30DS and lots of time to get bulky.

Check out this thread. The woman who posted this thread may give you some insight. She lifted very heavy weights, as in much much heavier than 30DS...30DS is a program that uses very light weight.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • GilaniAlex
    I'm in! Starting this later today! I'm sure I'll be whining about how much I ache and how I can't do proper push ups so will be nice to have someone to whine with! :D

lolx yup am aching too.. i felt great after and during exercise.. but sore the next morning
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Maybe try the beginner shred instead. I've seen that one as well and I think it's doable. The workouts aren't super crazy for a beginner because its tailored that way.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Since you say you have never exercised before, look up proper form on the internet for all of those moves. If you go too fast trying to follow the workout without knowing proper form and being able to slow yourself down to ensure your form doesn't suffer, you could risk injury. Also, go as slow as you need to in the beginning and if you need a moment to breathe, then take it. Repeat level 1 as much as needed if you find level 2 a difficult jump. Listen to body and try to be aware of the difference between feeling sore and being injured.
  • GilaniAlex
    @maidengirl_ @puffbrat @cerise_noir thank you.. today will be my 4th day of level one.. i feel lil sore but i suppose its normal. i have short height 5.1 so all i am worried about is my thighs and butt.. i don't want them to get bigger... and i feel bigger after starting jm .. if its water retention. . how long it will take to get rid off it?
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    @GilaniAlex lower sodium intake to shed excess water weight :) good luck.