Sugar Withdrawals

Options
So I started using MFP yesterday. This morning I woke up with a nasty headache. I've decided to still drink my morning coffee, but without the sugar. I'm eating natural sugars still, just not the granulated stuff. Why am I so tired, cranky, pounding head, ready to snap someone in 2 today. It's only the second day and I'm ready to give up.
I've been on diets before. Many, I've tried them all. I'm at my heaviest I've ever been, 280 lbs, and can't function anymore. My whole body aches. I've never felt so *kitten* after the first day on a diet. I just wanna curl up I'm a corner and die. Any ideas on how to get over sugar withdrawal?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    So I started using MFP yesterday. This morning I woke up with a nasty headache. I've decided to still drink my morning coffee, but without the sugar. I'm eating natural sugars still, just not the granulated stuff. Why am I so tired, cranky, pounding head, ready to snap someone in 2 today. It's only the second day and I'm ready to give up.
    I've been on diets before. Many, I've tried them all. I'm at my heaviest I've ever been, 280 lbs, and can't function anymore. My whole body aches. I've never felt so *kitten* after the first day on a diet. I just wanna curl up I'm a corner and die. Any ideas on how to get over sugar withdrawal?

You are not having sugar withdrawals (they don't even exist) - you are eating too little! Why have you set your goal below recommended intake? Don't go on diets. Feed yourself properly. That means right quality as well as quantity of food. You should at least be aiming for 1700 calories at this stage. Setup MFP correctly:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • flowerchic2323
    flowerchic2323 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's just where it set me. I didn't do it on my own. Thanks I'll try that
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    First of all, there's nothing wrong with sugar in moderation (a tsp in your coffee is 15 calories). Secondly, your calorie goal seems low for your current weight. If you give us your height/age, we can help you run the numbers.

• RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When my calories are off, eating unclean and carbs rise above 40% of overall food intake, I get unsound cravings.
    Smart people argue and debate the sugar/clean eating thing, so who knows?
    All I know is that when my diet is clean, calories right and macro's properly balanced, I seldom feel that way.

Good luck to you, and thanks for posting
    :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »
    When my calories are off, eating unclean and carbs rise above 40% of overall food intake, I get unsound cravings.
    Smart people argue and debate the sugar/clean eating thing, so who knows?
    All I know is that when my diet is clean, calories right and macro's properly balanced, I seldom feel that way.

Good luck to you, and thanks for posting
    :)

She's only tracked one day, but it's pretty 'clean' (whatever that even means). Her carb intake was low at 89g as well. If anything I wonder if that's what's triggering the issues-lower carb days (under 100g) make me feel like utter crap. Her original post doesn't say anything about cravings,

eta: also OP, could you be having PMS? Or coming down with a bug? It might be something not even related to your new diet.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you're suffering sugar withdrawal, I suggest checking into a rehab program.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The coffee mate is sugar in disguise, but with a restricted carbohydrate intake it may be you're getting the reduced blood pressure from loss of sodium with the calorie and carb restriction. A bit of salty broth / stock drink is a popular remedy, or crank up your salt intake a couple of grams.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Recent news from Queensland University of Technology may help
    https://www.qut.edu.au/news/news?news-id=103307
    Part of the above report-
    “The latest World Health Organisation figures tell us 1.9 billion people worldwide are overweight, with 600 million considered obese,” said Professor Bartlett who is based at the Translational Research Institute.
    “Excess sugar consumption has been proven to contribute directly to weight gain. It has also been shown to repeatedly elevate dopamine levels which control the brain's reward and pleasure centres in a way that is similar to many drugs of abuse including tobacco, cocaine and morphine.
    “After long-term consumption, this leads to the opposite, a reduction in dopamine levels. This leads to higher consumption of sugar to get the same level of reward.
    “We have also found that as well as an increased risk of weight gain, animals that maintain high sugar consumption and binge eating into adulthood may also face neurological and psychiatric consequences affecting mood and motivation.
    “Our study found that Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved drugs like varenicline, a prescription medication trading as Champix which treats nicotine addiction, can work the same way when it comes to sugar cravings.”
    PhD researcher Masroor Shariff said the study also put artificial sweeteners under the spotlight.
    “Interestingly, our study also found that artificial sweeteners such as saccharin could produce effects similar to those we obtained with table sugar, highlighting the importance of reevaluating our relationship with sweetened food per se,” said Mr Shariff.
    Professor Bartlett said varenicline acted as a neuronal nicotinic receptor modulator (nAChR) and similar results were observed with other such drugs including mecamylamine and cytisine.
    “Like other drugs of abuse, withdrawal from chronic sucrose exposure can result in an imbalance in dopamine levels and be as difficult as going ‘cold turkey’ from them,” she said.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you ARE getting sugar withdrawels.. and I most certainly did - it does go. I had to go through about 2 weeks of feeling ill and crappy and then I felt fine. Honest x
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    “The latest World Health Organisation figures tell us 1.9 billion people worldwide are overweight, with 600 million considered obese,” said Professor Bartlett who is based at the Translational Research Institute.
    “Excess sugar consumption has been proven to contribute directly to weight gain. It has also been shown to repeatedly elevate dopamine levels which control the brain's reward and pleasure centres in a way that is similar to many drugs of abuse including tobacco, cocaine and morphine.
    “After long-term consumption, this leads to the opposite, a reduction in dopamine levels. This leads to higher consumption of sugar to get the same level of reward.
    “We have also found that as well as an increased risk of weight gain, animals that maintain high sugar consumption and binge eating into adulthood may also face neurological and psychiatric consequences affecting mood and motivation.
    “Our study found that Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved drugs like varenicline, a prescription medication trading as Champix which treats nicotine addiction, can work the same way when it comes to sugar cravings.”
    PhD researcher Masroor Shariff said the study also put artificial sweeteners under the spotlight.
    “Interestingly, our study also found that artificial sweeteners such as saccharin could produce effects similar to those we obtained with table sugar, highlighting the importance of reevaluating our relationship with sweetened food per se,” said Mr Shariff.
    Professor Bartlett said varenicline acted as a neuronal nicotinic receptor modulator (nAChR) and similar results were observed with other such drugs including mecamylamine and cytisine.
    “Like other drugs of abuse, withdrawal from chronic sucrose exposure can result in an imbalance in dopamine levels and be as difficult as going ‘cold turkey’ from them,” she said.

Thank-you very much for posting this 6pkdreamer. As a 45 year sugar junkie I am a believer 100%. Every day without dessert is a better day for me.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I felt awful for a few days when I stopped eating processed added sugar. It does pass. I'm eating it again now but really want to stop as I felt really good when I wasn't eating it. Only you know how your body feels. People might like to try and pretend that all food (including junk and excess sugar) is just food, but the effects of excess processed sugar on the body are proven! Good luck!
  • lauraschmidtberger
    lauraschmidtberger Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to reduce how much sugar I take in. I have a terrible headache and feel so hungry. I am definitely getting plenty of food, but am going to try increasing how much water I drink. This is very difficult. I hope the headaches you get pass soon! Please share any tips you find to stave off that sweet tooth!
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I understand. When I stopped using sugar I was cranky, headaches, etc as well. It was not because I was eating too little. I truly believe it was sugar withdrawal. You'll be ok in a week. Easier said than done I know. Take a goody headache powder for now and keep it moving.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Where are all the 'nay-sayers' to tell us about how sugar can be part of a healthy weight loss scheme?
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Where are all the 'nay-sayers' to tell us about how sugar can be part of a healthy weight loss scheme?

I eat plenty of sugar and I've still been steadily losing 1lb/week
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I still eat sugar and lost 17 kgms and have kept it off for 3 years
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

The article starts being wrong when it says that sugar is "proven" to directly contribute to weight gain and doesn't get better.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Losing weight is good thing for health but it's only one aspect as I'm sure your aware.
    If that was the case one wouldn't need to go for a full medical. All the physician would have to no is your weight???
    (all those years of study wasted).
    MFP is a particularly good tool for controlling a lifestyle of excess of many things including sugar.
    My FITNESS Pal is not My WEIGHT LOSS Pal.
    MFP is not only about Macros. MFP is also about micro-nutrients which can be ignored.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »

What, you don't eat fruit?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Losing weight is good thing for health but it's only one aspect as I'm sure your aware.
    If that was the case one wouldn't need to go for a full medical. All the physician would have to no is your weight???
    (all those years of study wasted).
    MFP is a particularly good tool for controlling a lifestyle of excess of many things including sugar.
    My FITNESS Pal is not My WEIGHT LOSS Pal.
    MFP is not only about Macros. MFP is also about micro-nutrients which can be ignored.

Many health risks are directly reduced by losing weight.
    Full medicals are useful because there's health risks that have nothing at all to do with your lifestyle.
    People who tell you that you can still eat all the things you enjoy and still lose weight never tell you to ignore nutrition. NEVER.