Want to lose 35lbs. How long did it take you?

Options
Hi guys,

I want to lose 35lbs and would like you to advise me on this.

How long did you manage to lose the weight?
How much calories did you eat?
How much exercise did you do?

Thanks for answering!!

Replies

• Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    the first 10 pounds may go quick. Its the other ones that take a while...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I lost over 35lbs from April 2010 to Sept 2010.

Looking back, had I raised my calories sooner I likely would have lost the weight even faster. I was averaging around 1800 calories at the time. Now, I eat between 2200-2500 NET calories in a day.

When I started, I worked out 6-7 days a week for 60 mins each time. Then I got hurt because I wasn't giving my body enough of a break. Now I workout 3 days a week for 60 mins each time.

I maintained my loss from Sept 2010 to May 2011. In May, I upped my calories again and lost another 5lbs. I've been maintaining that for over a month now. :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 lbs since about the first week of March. I'm 1 lb from my original weight loss goal, although at this point I think I would like to drop another 10-15 lbs to help my running.

I started out doing a 1500 calorie goal per day and recently increased it to 1610. I do usually eat half or all my exercise calories. I try to get a NET of 1200-1500 per day as often as possible.

I started out with regular walking, doing the elliptical, and weekly Zumba class--since then I've started running regularly (3x a week) and do strength training 2x a week, a spin class on occasion...I try to mix it up (except for the running) because I get bored. Right now I work out about 4-5 days a week (sometimes I run and do weights, or do weights and an exercise class on the same day).

Good luck reaching your goal! You can do it!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It took me just under four months to lose 26 lbs.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I lost over 35lbs from April 2010 to Sept 2010.

Looking back, had I raised my calories sooner I likely would have lost the weight even faster. I was averaging around 1800 calories at the time. Now, I eat between 2200-2500 NET calories in a day.

When I started, I worked out 6-7 days a week for 60 mins each time. Then I got hurt because I wasn't giving my body enough of a break. Now I workout 3 days a week for 60 mins each time.

I maintained my loss from Sept 2010 to May 2011. In May, I upped my calories again and lost another 5lbs. I've been maintaining that for over a month now. :)

This whole net calories is really confusing me. I have been maintaining my calories at about 1200-1250 net. I thought that would be the safest way to lose about 1-2 pounds per week. Reading your post, it seems that you are saying that you regreted not starting with 2200-2500 net. Sorry if this seems so simple, but I am new to MFP and would really appreciate your advice, being that you are almost at the same weight am trying to lose. Thanks so much in advance.
  • seasonalspice
    seasonalspice Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's amazing! You must have built so much muscle mass to be burning calories like that.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds in a year. The lowest my calories have gotten is 1360. I haven't been good about exercise and honestly I've just been trying to maintain since about February. I've steadily lost a pound a month without counting calories this spring, but now that summer is here and I'm not working (I'm a teacher), I've been a lot more diligent about logging both food and exercise. I've been extremely happy with my slow loss because it's been a product of healthy eating and a more active lifestyle. During the summer I workout 5-6 times a week for around 30-40 min. on average. During the school year it is more sporadic, but I probably get in 2-3 workouts and I'm constantly on the go.

You can see my stats and progress below in my signature.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I lost that in about 3months but it all depends on how big you are to begin with. If you only need/want to lose that much it may take you longer.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    Wow, that's amazing! You must have built so much muscle mass to be burning calories like that.

I don't know if this is directed at me or not...

I work on my feet 4-5 days a week for 5-9 hours a day. I am constantly in motion while at work. I don't count those calories as exercise because my body is used to doing this job. I think because I don't really think of it as exercise - it's just work to me - I didn't realize how many calories you truly burn being in constant motion, on my feet for hours on end -- days on end. As soon as I started upping my calories - the weight started coming off. I always get asked how I can possibly eat so much and lose or maintain. Heck. I have NO idea. I recently had a couple days where I was waaaay over calories (like up to 3000 calories!) and a few days later I expected to see a gain.. NOPE. I lost 2lbs. Went back to my "normal" calories and the 2lbs came back.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Gosh I wish that was all I needed to lose. LOL

How long did you manage to lose the weight? 36 pounds in 17 weeks
    How much calories did you eat? The first 2-3 months were around 1200 net, but I went up to 1400-1600 a few weeks ago because my weight loss was starting to lessen. Bringing my cals up did the trick! Now, I just zig zag my cals (low cal days and high cal days) but still rarely surpass 1600.
    How much exercise did you do? 2 or 3 times a week at the most. Walking or exercise bike.

I'd also like to make note that I watch my carbs (100 grams or less) and sugar (28grams or less) most days.
  • zsesteacher
    zsesteacher Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    so the more you eat the better? just wondering cause I'm only eating 1200 and sometimes I also eat the exercise calories...am I doing something wrong here: please help!!!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    A lot of it depends on how much you have to lose. I started with 100lbs to lose and have lost 43lbs in about 3 months. But it tends to take longer when you have less to lose.
  • AriesOx
    AriesOx Posts: 66
    Options
    I have much more than 35 to lose, so it is quicker for me - but I lost my 35 in ~23 weeks. I've eaten between 1600-1800 calories before exercise calories consistently the entire duration. I usually eat some of my exercise calories back, and I've tried to exercise 3-5 times a week. At first it was for 15-30 minutes, as I've gotten a bit fitter, it has increased to 30-60 minutes.
    That's my story so far, I can only hope the next 35 come off at near the same rate :)
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    so the more you eat the better? just wondering cause I'm only eating 1200 and sometimes I also eat the exercise calories...am I doing something wrong here: please help!!!

You have to fuel your body. If it isn't receiving adequate nutrition - it doesn't want to burn the fat and lose weight. It wants to store fat "just in case". You want to build muscle not have your body trying to burn it for fuel. The key to preventing that is to make sure you're eating enough! 1200 calories is the minimum amount of calories you should eat in a day (and that should be NET calories!). I always say, if what you're doing isn't working don't be afraid to try something new -- up your calories, switch up your workout -- do it for at least 1-2 weeks so your body has a chance to catch up.
  • lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs from February 2011 to June 2011 (4 months) It was a lot of work. I ate roughly 1200 calories a day and excersised 5 times a week for 90 minutes each. I am also severely overweight so it came off quicker but the more you try the more you lose. :)
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    1. 3 months
    2. 2000 calories
    3. P90X
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I started at 258, lost 35lbs in about 4 months but weight loss slows down the less you weigh it seems

How much calories did you eat? ......I think I was at around 1650
    How much exercise did you do?.....I have always exercised 4 times a week for an hour

Good luck!
  • tzBIGWORM
    tzBIGWORM Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've lost 16 pounds in a month. At that rate, I'll be 3 pounds shy of losing 35 pounds by the end of this fiscal month, which I just started yesterday.

1. 1700 calories a day max
    2. 100-150g of carbs a day
    3. Between working and outside of work, I walk approx. 9-10 miles a day
    4. Added 12 pound ankle weights
    5. 80oz of water daily.
  • ameer941
    Options
    It took me 4 months to lose 35 pounds i was losing about 8 pounds every month. Here is what I did :

- no skipping breakfast
    - drink lots of water
    - walk more often
    - quit (sugars, crisps, cakes, fried food, fast food, soft drinks)
    - I ate grilled food (chicken, beef, fish)
    - Always low on carbs and high in protein
    - I ate more fruits and vegetables
    - Limit was 1200 calories
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm almost at 35 and I started on October 21st of this year. so about a month and a half. (note, I'm also a 6'4, 27 year old male and I weighed in today at 260.4 lbs)

Working out 5 days a week before work (my office has a gym inside it)- burning 900 calories on the eliptical/running and weight lifting

Eating back 75% of those calories burned.

Drinking >1 gallon of water per day.

Lots of Greek Yogurt, Banana's, and String cheese for snacks. Eggs and Spinach and Whole wheat bread for lunch.

About once every other week I have only a smoothy for dinner if I start feeling bloated, which usually flushes me out pretty well and gets my water weight back off.