Anyone else with stomach health issues?

Options

Replies

• megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Interesting to read this. I have gallstones and am being advised to have my gallbladder removed but I'm not 100% sure. Doctors haven't been great at talking me through the prognosis with and without the operation. However, I'm in the UK so the operation would be free so I can't see a reason for them advising it if I didn't need it. I'm worried as I do get ibs sometimes especially when stressed and it has started up again recently even though I'm not stressed so I'm assuming it's related to my gallstones. Has anyone else had to decide on the op in a similar position? Will it aggrevate my ibs? Does not having it put me at too high a risk of pancreatitis and other complications?

It depends on the severity of the gallstones. If they are bad and causing you pain and problems, then yes remove it. If you find that changing your diet and staying away from foods that cause the attacks works for you, then do that.

The gallbladder isn't necessary to live but it does play a big part in breaking up the fat in foods. This is also required to absorb some vitamins. The gallbladder holds bile from the liver and releases it when you eat. So when you lose your gallbladder you just have small amounts the leak into the intestines all the time. This means it will cause some problems eating. You will have to be sure to eat more often because the bile will be there and so you either eat and use it or it just keeps going all the way out of you. You also will need to lay off fast food and greasy food and change your diet. Basically if you stick to a diet for IBS you will be doing pretty good. I can tell you the gross stuff the doctors don't tell you about losing your gallbladder. You will have diarrhea no matter what you eat for probably almost a year. It will hit 30 to 45 minutes after you eat, so plan ahead. They say to go back to a normal diet but don't! You will regret it especially mixed with the IBS. Your stole won't be the same ever again. It will smell different, have a different color, and even have a different consistency. After I had mine removed I just bloated and built up unbearable amounts of gas. I didn't fart or burp anymore. It was weird and painful. So I had to start taking gas-x to help. After I did that a while, things went back to a little more normal. Still bloat very easily.

I honestly suggest you make your doctors talk to you, get pushy and if they won't, see a different doctor till you find one who works with you! Do a lot of research. Change your diet now and see if that help symptoms before going to the extreme. Be prepared to change your diet if you do lose your gallbladder.
  • megzchica23
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    IBS-C here. Managing it is a pain

I bet. I can't imagine being constipated all the time. I have opposite. But I was so use to going several times a day and running to bathroom but just have found out what works for me and got everything under control. Now when I go I get frustrated because it solid so it is actually work and takes time now. HAHAHA
  • LisaJV
    LisaJV Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    IBS C&D (it swings both ways!) I'm lactose intolerant, but it's only really cream that affects my IBS, lactose affects me other ways (eczema, itching, blocked nose etc) IBS triggers are stress, my hormones (I get IBS on top of period pains) and sometimes just because it feels like it, no obvious trigger at all! 'Processed' bread makes me bloat and can upset it a bit, but I'm fine with fresh - I think it's the preservatives that do it!
  • megzchica23
    Options
    LisaJV wrote: »
    IBS C&D (it swings both ways!) I'm lactose intolerant, but it's only really cream that affects my IBS, lactose affects me other ways (eczema, itching, blocked nose etc) IBS triggers are stress, my hormones (I get IBS on top of period pains) and sometimes just because it feels like it, no obvious trigger at all! 'Processed' bread makes me bloat and can upset it a bit, but I'm fine with fresh - I think it's the preservatives that do it!

Yeah, I try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I can't really eat anything at fast food. If I had to I try and go with a salad if that is an option or go to like taco bueno. Their stuff doesn't bother me.
  • BettyBaliol
    BettyBaliol Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have a few stomach issues.

I'm lactose intolerant and currently investigating another problem with vitamin absorption. I also have Endomitriosis which flares up and down and although not directly stomach related it causes all sorts of knock on issues and pains.
    Its a barrel of laughs digestion wise!
    I don't know about anyone else but I really have found using my fitness pal has helped me to monitor what I'm eating at a much greater level than I have done before. I have discovered a bunch of things that have been causing me issues which I wasn't able to nail down in the past!

Good thread!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Definitely! Mfp food diary is very helpful. I had malabsorption when I was eating quinoa. My body was rejecting everything. I was eating over 2500 calories a day and couldn't gain past 95. When I stopped eating quinoa I gained five pounds in two months. Not sure if I mentioned, but I also have elevated rheumatoid antibody factor.
  • megzchica23
    Options
    Hello, I have a few stomach issues.

I'm lactose intolerant and currently investigating another problem with vitamin absorption. I also have Endomitriosis which flares up and down and although not directly stomach related it causes all sorts of knock on issues and pains.
    Its a barrel of laughs digestion wise!
    I don't know about anyone else but I really have found using my fitness pal has helped me to monitor what I'm eating at a much greater level than I have done before. I have discovered a bunch of things that have been causing me issues which I wasn't able to nail down in the past!

Good thread!

Yes, it has helped me a lot. Plus it is forcing me to keep my portions down which helps a lot with my hital hernia. I have felt better than I have in a few years just by monitoring and eating less.
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had severe gastritis a couple years ago. Even now when I travel I get some ativan from my doctor to calm my nerves and it is used to treat upset stomach.
  • LisaJV
    LisaJV Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    LisaJV wrote: »

Yeah, I try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I can't really eat anything at fast food. If I had to I try and go with a salad if that is an option or go to like taco bueno. Their stuff doesn't bother me.

And yet randomly if I'm constipated, eating 'crap' actually helps get it moving again! Had a sausage roll Friday, followed by a burger Saturday night, knackered my calorie intake, but sorted 'the other' lol :) it's still a mystery after 5 years!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I had some issues in the past but thankfully I've been in the clear for awhile now. My digestion is actually boomin' right now. I don't eat dairy, eggs, red meat, gluten. I have psoriasis as well (which is linked to gut health) so cutting these foods out keeps my skin clear. High plant-based diet, smaller meals, and using lots of herbs and spices I find has been the ticket. No hot spices though, I'm talking mainly cumin and turmeric. If you're having issues try taking digestive bitters and digestive enzymes with your meals. The bitters, taken 10-15 min before eating, will increase acid production which is often lacking. Enzymes will help break down the food you eat. If you're having symptoms in between meals, such as bloating or acid reflux, try DGL wafers or slippery elm tea for their soothing properties. There's also a mental component. It's very important to stay happy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had some issues in the past but thankfully I've been in the clear for awhile now. My digestion is actually boomin' right now. I don't eat dairy, eggs, red meat, gluten. I have psoriasis as well (which is linked to gut health) so cutting these foods out keeps my skin clear. High plant-based diet, smaller meals, and using lots of herbs and spices I find has been the ticket. No hot spices though, I'm talking mainly cumin and turmeric. If you're having issues try taking digestive bitters and digestive enzymes with your meals. The bitters, taken 10-15 min before eating, will increase acid production which is often lacking. Enzymes will help break down the food you eat. If you're having symptoms in between meals, such as bloating or acid reflux, try DGL wafers or slippery elm tea for their soothing properties. There's also a mental component. It's very important to stay happy.

Wonderful to hear! My gut issues also caused a skin and nerve issue. As I avoid food triggers and heal my gut, my skin and face nerves clear up and heal as well. It's very interesting. I liked the book: Gut: the inside story of our body's most underrated organ by Giulia Enders. She became a scientist after healing from her skin disorder once she began treating it as a gut disorder. I have made a ton of progress. I am sure I will recover. Mine was caused by pharmaceuticals.
  • jessasweightlossjourney
    Options
    After having my gallbladder removed, I developed ibs as well. I also have PCOS, and frequently have pain from that. No fun I tell ya!
  • lindabalseca
    lindabalseca Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have IBS, gastroparesis, diverticulitis, gerd......not fun
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have both Celiac Disease and Microscopic Colitis. Wheeeee!! =/
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Interesting to read this. I have gallstones and am being advised to have my gallbladder removed but I'm not 100% sure. Doctors haven't been great at talking me through the prognosis with and without the operation. However, I'm in the UK so the operation would be free so I can't see a reason for them advising it if I didn't need it. I'm worried as I do get ibs sometimes especially when stressed and it has started up again recently even though I'm not stressed so I'm assuming it's related to my gallstones. Has anyone else had to decide on the op in a similar position? Will it aggrevate my ibs? Does not having it put me at too high a risk of pancreatitis and other complications?

It depends on the severity of the gallstones. If they are bad and causing you pain and problems, then yes remove it. If you find that changing your diet and staying away from foods that cause the attacks works for you, then do that.

The gallbladder isn't necessary to live but it does play a big part in breaking up the fat in foods. This is also required to absorb some vitamins. The gallbladder holds bile from the liver and releases it when you eat. So when you lose your gallbladder you just have small amounts the leak into the intestines all the time. This means it will cause some problems eating. You will have to be sure to eat more often because the bile will be there and so you either eat and use it or it just keeps going all the way out of you. You also will need to lay off fast food and greasy food and change your diet. Basically if you stick to a diet for IBS you will be doing pretty good. I can tell you the gross stuff the doctors don't tell you about losing your gallbladder. You will have diarrhea no matter what you eat for probably almost a year. It will hit 30 to 45 minutes after you eat, so plan ahead. They say to go back to a normal diet but don't! You will regret it especially mixed with the IBS. Your stole won't be the same ever again. It will smell different, have a different color, and even have a different consistency. After I had mine removed I just bloated and built up unbearable amounts of gas. I didn't fart or burp anymore. It was weird and painful. So I had to start taking gas-x to help. After I did that a while, things went back to a little more normal. Still bloat very easily.

I honestly suggest you make your doctors talk to you, get pushy and if they won't, see a different doctor till you find one who works with you! Do a lot of research. Change your diet now and see if that help symptoms before going to the extreme. Be prepared to change your diet if you do lose your gallbladder.

Everyone is different. I had mine removed and other than not tolerating dairy, I have zero symptoms you listed. I was so scared I'd have side effects, I even asked the doctor if I was "normal" and he said yes. True, some people react badly, but many do not. I've suffered for 11 years with digestive issues, it's awful. I feel for anyone living with it.
  • megzchica23
    Options
    I don't usually use the chit-chat forum, so glad to find this thread and see some shared experiences.

I've had GI issues off and on since I was 18 (I'm 35 now). My worst attack was my first, and it was so severe that I ate practically nothing and lost about 30ish pounds in two months (which easily put me off on ever wanting to lose that much weight or weight that fast again--I looked and felt miserable). They said it was gastritis then, but didn't really tell me anything to do about it, and so every few years I get an attack like that that lasts about 3-7 days. The pain is high, just under my ribs, and comes in sharp waves. I've also had a handful of other symptoms that I've kind of just sucked-it-up through. Every now and then I go to the dr, they x-ray me to make sure I don't have a bowel obstruction, then send me on my way.

When I had an attack last summer and my doctor sent me to the ER, I was referred to a GI. He did an upper endoscopy, told me I had GERD, and dismissed every other question I had. (Why doesn't this respond to GERD meds? Why doesn't this respond to GERD dietary changes? This doesn't feel like reflux, I can tell when I have that and it's not the same? I'm not in any risk factor for GERD, what might be causing this? Is there any possibility the bowel repair I had when I was a kid affected this?) He was such an @ss that I refused to even bother to go to him when I had another attack in December.

Anyway, threw a fit, dr gave me a new GI referral (after doing a bunch of stuff to rule out gallbladder) and he was so cool and took me seriously. Blood testing says maybe IBD, so I have the big C scheduled in a couple of weeks. (The pain seems high for that, and I don't have a lot of the symptoms I see people here and other places reporting, but totally interested in getting it figured out).

Also abdominal CT shows possible SMA syndrome, which is pretty rare but hits the nail on the head regarding location of the pain.

Well, I have had *kitten* luck with doctors as well. I have the same problem. It hurts right there under ribs. But I also go to the bathroom a lot and that is always painful. So first go back after my gallbladder surgery thinking something went wrong. He did the upper GI said he found a hiatal hernia but it was too small to cause me the pain I claimed I was having. Told me must be IBS. Told me to take heartburn medicine, go on IBS and GERD diet, take imodium if I can't stop the diarehea, and sent me on my way. So I was pissed. I dealt with it for another 2 years. Then last year went to another GI. He spoke to me for 5 minutes. Ignored everything I asked. After I told him I have been to the ER 3 times now because the pain was getting worse and it felt like my stomach was sitting on my lungs. It freaked me out like maybe the hernia was worse and they needed to do something about it. They just were like, "Nah everything is fine, we can't do anythi8ng about a hernia though just you know do what the doc tells you to help it and just expect to have pain." Gee thanks ER glad my health is so important. So I went to this new GI. Talk 5 minutes. He doesn't really listen and says, "Here is a prescription for IBS." And that was it. I took it, never helped. Couldn't even take it during day because put me to sleep. So I wasted almost 200 bucks for 5 minutes of nothing. So I never went back again. I continued to suffer. Now I am being really super strict with my diet. I also started drinking sleepy time tea every night. The chamomile in it helps relax all your stomach stuff and has really helped. The only problem is I started working out and that bothered the hiatal hernia so now I have pain there from constant heart burn. My stomach has been a little upset again because of that too. But not nearly as bad as usual. I don't know what I am going to do about exercising. I want to but not be in pain like this.
  • megzchica23
    Options
    Ugh, I'm so sorry. I feel like I got lucky finally finding someone who can help--I hope you do too. :(

Mostly I am helping myself. Just got to figure out how to exercise with that hernia.
  • mklong62
    mklong62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate to read of all the suffering here, but I'm awfully glad to hear I'm not alone in this. I had my gallbladder out 25+ years ago, and had to adjust my diet, absolutely, and managed well. But in 2012 I had to have a partial colectomy due to severe diverticulitis. That surgery, plus the fact that I do still suffer from diverticulitis because my entire colon is affected, has made it very difficult to find what works and what doesn't (as far as diet is concerned). I'm trying to lose weight, but can't exercise right now because of the pain. Controlling portions of course helps (this app is great for that). I am very lucky that I have a wonderful GI doctor, she listens and helps me tremendously. BUT-no doctor, not even her, has been able to help me figure out what to eat. Several have told me what NOT to eat...but, well...it's a challenge. It sounds like most of you are doing quite well! Kudos! Thanks for starting this thread!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Ugh, I'm so sorry. I feel like I got lucky finally finding someone who can help--I hope you do too. :(

Mostly I am helping myself. Just got to figure out how to exercise with that hernia.

Helping ourselves is pretty much what we need to do. ♥
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options

My Aunt-in-law ignore a hernia for years and she just now had surgery on it, because it had gotten really bad, so if you can, don't give up and find someone who will help you!
    I am having digestive issues, and am finally getting to a place that I am hoping can help me figure out what, if, anything is wrong in the GI department, even after dealing with this for over a year now. I am not going to let people write me off. And I agree with
    Helping ourselves is pretty much what we need to do. ♥
    But part of it too is making sure you find a good medical team, which, yes, can be very difficult.