Coconut Milk is bad for us???!!! WWHHHYYYY!?!

Options
I recently decided to cut dairy and try more natural subs such as almond milk, or even raw unprocessed milk, but coconut milk is just so goooood with my oatmeal in the mornings but the saturated fat is so high. Anyway around this? Like a "fat free" or "low fat" option anyone has seen??????

Replies

• gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Make it work within your calorie limit if you like it. Nothing wrong with food you love in reasonable amounts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the coconut milk in the carton? It only has 4.5 grams of saturated fat per serving . . . . that's about 23% of the daily recommendation. There's no reason you have to consume *no* saturated fat. If you enjoy it, have it.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Coconut Milk is for baby coconuts!

:smile:
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

+1
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the coconut milk in the carton? It only has 4.5 grams of saturated fat per serving . . . . that's about 23% of the daily recommendation. There's no reason you have to consume *no* saturated fat. If you enjoy it, have it.

This too to be fair. Coconut milk is yummy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

tumblr_o3pc68OjkB1s2wio8o1_500.gif

OP, if you like coconut "milk", it's okay to drink it as long as it fits into your daily goals. Me, I'd drink regular milk but I don't have issues digesting dairy.
  • jaxee31
    jaxee31 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Canned organic Coconut Milk from TJoes with 13 grams of saturated fat per 80ml. 15 grams total fat!

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to look into the carton one!
  • Maurissa77
    Maurissa77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

:D
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The saturated fat in coconut milk is not "bad" for you. However, the overall calories might make it harder to meet your calorie deficit. If you like it, work it into your day and keep it! I usually use light coconut milk, which is basically watered down coconut milk, but it has fewer calories and makes less of a dent in my day.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options
    The coconut milk in the box is like almond milk, a highly processed milk substitute.
  • JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love coconut milk when making coconut rice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jaxee31 wrote: »

Canned organic Coconut Milk from TJoes with 13 grams of saturated fat per 80ml. 15 grams total fat!

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to look into the carton one!

This is your issue. Canned coconut milk isn't really intended to be used as a substitute for milk. It's typically used as an ingredient in puddings or sauces. It's concentrated fat. If you want something that is lower in fat and calories, try the coconut milk that comes in a carton and is meant to be a substitute for milk. The taste and texture are different, but if you're pouring canned coconut milk on anything, it's going to make a big dent in your fat/calorie goals for the day.

^^This^^.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    The canned coconut milk is for cooking, mostly Thai food.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love coconut milk when making coconut rice.

YES! so easy, and tastes fancy :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The saturated fat in coconut milk is not "bad" for you. However, the overall calories might make it harder to meet your calorie deficit. If you like it, work it into your day and keep it! I usually use light coconut milk, which is basically watered down coconut milk, but it has fewer calories and makes less of a dent in my day.

typically fewer calories than regular milk either way