Running: Heart rate zones

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    IMO in running it's best to go by pace as your target and not heart rate. It's easier and less variable.

Until you encounter a hill or a strong wind. Or your GPS suffers a bit of inaccuracy.
  • kimberleyford77
    kimberleyford77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Lactic threshold, vo2max, and other heart rate based training is best used for helping you get faster for a race. It does very little for helping you get in shape or lose weight. Don't get too hung up on your heart rate. Focus on keeping your pace slow and even for a long time.

Plus, the numbers you are getting by doing these tests on a treadmill are not going to be very accurate. To get anything even close to your lactic threshold you have to run your *kitten* off for 30 minutes or more on a track. And even that is not super accurate...

Thanks for that. Didn't run my "a" off but got a basic understanding of everything so far. At this stage I think I'll do just that - keep my pace even and keep up just the 7 km :smile:
  • kimberleyford77
    Options
    I'd make an observation about spurious accuracy, so essentially supporting rate of perceived effort rather than HR zone training. If you're hitting 145bpm at 9min/km then you've the potential make significant improvements in CV performance in a very short period of time. That essentially renders working at a target HR a bit moot as your target is moving all the time.

In about 6 months your CV performance might stabilise enough for target HR training not to be counterproductive.
    Thanks for that. Early days. I'll try staying at a conversational pace over 30 minutes and go from there I think.

• kimberleyford77
    Options
    No one zone. Vary intensity and duration, i.e. speed, incline and length of time within each or both. The bottom line is that the harder you work, the more calories you burn. A caloric deficit results in weight loss.

A recent article in Outside, I believe, showed that running outside burns more calories than on a treadmill.
    Hi. Yup - back to counting calories. . . I think what I've done is increased my speed too quick - I started jogging two weeks ago and am really enjoying it but also mindful of my initial weight loss goal It makes sense to run outside to burn more calories - that could be something I try. It's been a few years. THANKS YOU! :smiley:

• kimberleyford77
    Options
    IMO in running it's best to go by pace as your target and not heart rate. It's easier and less variable. But how do you know what pace to run? There are calculators online to tell you, based on data compiled from thousands of runners. My favorite one is at https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

To use it you'd need to run a race or a time trial and plug in your time. Like run a mile as fast as you can. Let's say you ran it in 8 minutes. Then your training "easy" pace would be 10-11 minutes per mile.

Hi that's different again to the LTHR - I guess it's just been two weeks since I started and while weight loss us my first goal I really want to increase my speed over time and I thought by monitoring my heart rate that would be the easiest way. So I don't know my pace - at this stage I guess the jogging at 7 km pace on the treadmill for 30 minutes and I can maintain around 145 bpm being a conversational pace then I should gradually increase the speed. :smile:
  • kimberleyford77
    Options
    Is there an ideal heart rate for weight loss? Hitting the treadmill :)

I'd suggest going by perceived effort. Almost all of your running, at least initially, should be at a conversational pace. You're building your aerobic base.

The poster who mentioned interval training also prefaced her comments "I've run a long time" which changes everything.

I needed to be reminded about the conversational pace so thank you. I increased my speed just half a km and that was too much over 30 minutes. I'm leaning now - towards jogging at 7 km to maintain a heart rate around 145. See how I go :smile:

Rather than heart rate - it narrows down to this...

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

They're all good, but one can spend more time in 1, 2, and 3. It gets progressively difficult to spend time in 4, 5, and very short durations in 6.

A lot of 3, 4 and 5 is used during an endurance race...

24905429933_2873701303.jpg2015 Houston Marathon Weekend

Hi! Love your groupings :smile: Yes - I.m sitting at 2 - & keen to upgrade to the big 3 - we'll big for me as its been a few years since I did triathlons and the running was never a strong point for me. I used to enjoy the swimming and cycling much more. :smiley: