Running with a phone - how do you do it?

staciw
staciw Posts: 58 Member
Until recently, I've just been tucking it in my sports bra - but now that Im running more than Im walking, that is becoming a problem. What products, arm bands, holders, belts, etc. have you found to work best?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I have a flip belt I use for races, but my phone is large and it barely fits.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I mainly use my FlipBelt now. I've also used an armband and it was OK. I just like the flipbelt better because I can stash other things in it.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I just hold it in my hand. It's not too bad. I like to be able to start and then stop runkeeper. Sometimes I like to flip through my music.

My coworker did recommend the flipbelt. She said it is the best.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Arm Pocket brand armband. I use it on every run. It is difficult to use the touchscreen once it's in, so I hit start and leave it alone until the run is over.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    I also use a flipbelt. Soooo much better than an armband.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited April 2016
    I alternate between an arm band and a fanny pack . I break the arm bands though but the fanny pack holds more stuff and is stronger.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    I used to use a spibelt (when phones were smaller). Now I use a Nathan 5k belt. It sort of looks like a little fanny pack. But I don't care. I listen to music/podcasts on my runs and have no shame. Sometimes I need to carry keys or my work badge too so it is a lifesaver for that.

Armbands were always falling off my arm (and felt unnecessarily heavy), but your experience may vary.
  • jaeisla
    jaeisla Posts: 56 Member
    I actually run with one of two phones. An iphone 5 or a cheap android. I keep them both in the pocket of my running shorts. My phone has never fallen out when I run. I usually run about 5 miles at a time. I don't like the arm bands because they feel uncomfortable when they absorb all the sweat from running.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    belt =)
  • FitEqualsSmile
    FitEqualsSmile Posts: 160 Member
    I have a run buddy. I liked it much better than my flip belt as I was uncomfortable with something around my waist. I have an apple 6 plus.
  • Missyb187
    Missyb187 Posts: 19 Member
    I have the quad lock arm band. I received the kit as a Christmas gift and I love it. Phone pops on and off quickly, it's very secure and I also received the waterproof case so I can still use it when I'm running. Just to add I have the iPhone 6.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Is it your fitness tracker? I bring mine just for music and hold it - not much extra effort for a short distance run. If you're running over five miles get a dedicated holster or something.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    My favorite option in running with a vest with a pocket. Otherwise spi belt suits my needs.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Many of my running tights, shirts, jackets, and bras have pockets which I put it in. Otherwise I just hold it, use an arm band, or put in my water bottle's pocket if I bring water. I prefer to carry it in my tights or bra pocket.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2016
    Buddy Pouch also called Running Buddy. Holds it firmly in place, but difficult to access it. You can Google it.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't! I run too intensely - not necessarily FAST but up hills, on trails, paying attention to traffic. I want ZERO thought to be going into whether i am getting a call/text/email, to whether it will fall out or break, or the annoyance of it giggling around heavily on my arm or waist. I bring an i-pod nano for music which fits in my workout pants' back pocket, and wear my heart rate monitor which is on my wrist. the phone STAYS HOME!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited April 2016
    SPI belt - I put it in there along with my house keys and a $20 bill in case of emergencies (the phone comes with me in case of emergencies too...). Otherwise I just use my ipod shuffle attached to my shirt and my heart rate monitor.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I use an armband. It is a bit of a hassle because I have a sturdy case for my phone that won't let it fit in the armband, so I have to take my phone out of the case to fit it in the armband every time. I acknowledge my phone is large (Samsung Galaxy Note 3), and a smaller phone could probably fit even when in a case.