Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

sprints or steady state cardio

we all know there are definite benefits to both , and they can even be integrated together into a hybrid fitness plan. im just here to see the general consensus on this.

look forward to your responses

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If your goal is just general fitness then a bit of both.
  • insanitysprinter
    insanitysprinter Posts: 3 Member
    yea i agree , both have their own benefits. i love sprinting , also heavy sled drags and wind sprints etc. im a rugby player but trying to become a more rounded athlete :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    yea i agree , both have their own benefits. i love sprinting , also heavy sled drags and wind sprints etc. im a rugby player but trying to become a more rounded athlete :)

I'm a relatively new runner training for a half marathon so I just run, getting my miles in is the most important thing at the moment.
  • syrupspew
    syrupspew Posts: 20 Member
    I ask myself do I want a sprinter's body or a marathoner's? They are very different, so train like the one you want.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    syrupspew wrote: »
    I ask myself do I want a sprinter's body or a marathoner's? They are very different, so train like the one you want.

Not everyone who run marathons have the body of professional marathon runners. I have friends who knock my times out of the park and they have far superior beer bellies than me. Similarly not everyone who do sprints on a treadmill look like Usain Bolt.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member

Running =/= all sports. Long course & short course swimmers look exactly the same. Same for triathletes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Depends on your goals. I do both.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    we all know there are definite benefits to both , and they can even be integrated together into a hybrid fitness plan. im just here to see the general consensus on this.

What are your fitness goals? How many miles per week are you currently logging?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Which is one of those nonsensical comparisons. The requirements of each tdiscipline are very different, and elite athletes who're frequently used to illustrate the example dedicate their training to their outcomes.

Distance runners do speedwork, sprinters do endurance work. The relative emphasis is the key point.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

It depends on the outcomes you want. Endurance work is the basis of most running plans, with threshold and speedwork complementing and sharpening performance.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    You should just focus on getting your miles in for the first year or so.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    edited April 2016
    My sister suggested I switch to HIIT because "something something cortisol." I gave it a go and I appreciated the ability to fit it into my schedule. I also noticed that I was able to maintain better in steady state cardio when I went for a jog the other night so I think it offers the same (or better even) benefits in developing aerobic health.

Would like to read ELI5 articles on the matter.

I don't actually sprint in my HIIT, but I do get my heart rate over 175 based on my Fitbit (I read right after the high intensity part as I can't while moving) and the machine itself will read 200+ sometimes but I doubt that.

So even though I did steady state for years, I am all about intervals now for fitness.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2016
    My sister suggested I switch to HIIT because "something something cortisol." I gave it a go and I appreciated the ability to fit it into my schedule. I also noticed that I was able to maintain better in steady state cardio when I went for a jog the other night so I think it offers the same (or better even) benefits in developing aerobic health.

I don't actually sprint in my HIIT, but I do get my heart rate over 170 based on my Fitbit (I read right after the high intensity part as I can't while moving) and the machine itself will read 200+ sometimes but I doubt that.

So even though I did steady state for years, I am all about intervals now for fitness.

The benefits aren't the same, but they are complementary, which is why it's a good idea to do some amount of both.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

This is such nonsense. I know plenty of marathon runners who have pretty rockin' bods...my wife being one of them, and she also lifts like a boss.

OP...I'm a cyclist...I do different kinds of work on my bike...I do long steady state rides...I have hill climbing days...I have time trial days...I have easy recovery ride days, etc. As a matter of general fitness I would work varying aspects of running...no need to "specialize."
  • DorkothyParker
    stealthq wrote: »

I don't actually sprint in my HIIT, but I do get my heart rate over 170 based on my Fitbit (I read right after the high intensity part as I can't while moving) and the machine itself will read 200+ sometimes but I doubt that.

The benefits aren't the same, but they are complementary, which is why it's a good idea to do some amount of both.

You are probably right. To be fair, my sister suggested one day of HIIT ~20 min, one day of 1 hour of yoga/pilates/barre, and I think 3 days of lifting. She is right; I should lift more.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I lift, I run sprints, and I run steady state . . . and I never feel as good when I drop any one of those for any length of time. You all argue amongst yourselves.
  • DorkothyParker
    And to add, some people take their athleticism very seriously. Is there a difference between serious athletes who only do one? Do all serious athletes combine regimens?
    Would the difference be more pronounced in your Average Joe who just seeks general health and doesn't identify as an athlete or engage in athletics as a hobby? (<3 activities/week)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    There isn't a consensus without knowing your goals. A very general "a mixture is probably advantageous" but you know that.

When I was a squash player my training was mostly intervals and short duration or sprints, hardly any steady state. Now I cycle long distance my needs and training are very different, often long duration and steady state and my interval training may be 10 minute high/low intervals repeated for at least an hour.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

I am an endurance cyclist... I assure you that I don't look like Chris Froome.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »

I am an endurance cyclist... I assure you that I don't look like Chris Froome.

True dat - wish I could cycle like him though......

Here's a good example of a "wrong physique" doing endurance cardio as well....

Keith Senior has the body of a rather large and strong ex-rugby player rather than an elite marathon runner or pro cyclist:
    "I then decided to take on the challenge of 4 marathons in 22 days – and ran Manchester, London, Northampton and Huddersfield. In June I cycled from Perpignan in the South of France to Leeds, then undertook the first leg of the Tour de France, taking in 1100 miles in 8 days."
    http://walkingwiththewounded.org.uk/support-the-walk/wwtw-events/marathon-des-sables/keith-senior/