Too many carbs?

Options
Hi I was looking at my nutrition report and I think I am having too many carbs. Maybe that's why my weight loss is slow. I usually have porridge for breakfast , a salad for lunch and chicken, veg and potatoes for dinner. I thought I was eating healthy, but does anyone think I am going wrong ?
I believe my diary is open.
Thanks

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not cause weight gain. Unless you have medical restrictions on carbs, or you eat only carbs leaving no room for protein and fat, there is nothing wrong with carbs.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Carbs are just fine..they are not slowing down the weight loss.. but you might want to tighten up you logging since you have some entries like 1 medium apple, kitkat 2 fingers...Also you have some incomplete days of logging as well as some days you went over. I know it doesn't seem like much but it really builds up. You need to weigh everything to a gram on a kitchen scale and you will be fine. :) Also don't trust prepackaged food weight info...it can be easily 25% off. That's why it's good to weigh everything. :) Good luck :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Carbs do not cause weight gain. Unless you have medical restrictions on carbs, or you eat only carbs leaving no room for protein and fat, there is nothing wrong with carbs.

all of this!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    allipops26 wrote: »
    Hi I was looking at my nutrition report and I think I am having too many carbs. Maybe that's why my weight loss is slow. I usually have porridge for breakfast , a salad for lunch and chicken, veg and potatoes for dinner. I thought I was eating healthy, but does anyone think I am going wrong ?

You are eating low fat, and consequently higher carb. This might be why you regard it as healthy - the low fat.

Skimmed milk has half the sugars of coca cola, chocolate bars, potato etc etc are other sources of carbs that leap out. Your breakfast is a carb festival, other breakfasts are available.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Carbs do effect some people psod diabetics or you maybe carb sensitive I tend to lose slower with higher carbs but I get miserable restricting them
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Spend some time on the Internet searching out "High Fat Low Carb"
    www.dietdoctor.com is a great place to start.
    Carbs are NOT as good as people think. Only good for body builders.
    I've lost 10 stubborn pounds in the last 2 weeks.

Cheers
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Cheers

in what way are carbs 'only good for bodybuilders'???
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth I thought that your diary looked pretty good for weight loss and certainly, I didn't see any issues with the volume of carbs in there.

When you say that your weight loss is slow, what do you mean, what is your loss like?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Carbs are just fine..they are not slowing down the weight loss.. but you might want to tighten up you logging since you have some entries like 1 medium apple, kitkat 2 fingers...Also you have some incomplete days of logging as well as some days you went over. I know it doesn't seem like much but it really builds up. You need to weigh everything to a gram on a kitchen scale and you will be fine. :) Also don't trust prepackaged food weight info...it can be easily 25% off. That's why it's good to weigh everything. :) Good luck :)

^^ good points but you do not need to weight your kitkats LOL. 2 fingers is 2 fingers.
  • laurenm0304
    laurenm0304 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks pretty good to me. Are you weighing everything though or are you making guesstimations?
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options

Cheers

www.authoritynutrition.com is also a good source of info, but I learnt a lot from dietdoctor.

Don't be scared of fat! Be scared of sugar. A lot of low-fat food is high in sugar. Just something to note.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'd only worry about Carbs if it is something that interests you, and you believe the science backed up behind it, and you'd like to give it a real good go by restricting the carbs quite a lot.
    If you are just happy with calorie counting then maybe just try to lower your intake for a week or 2 and see if the weight loss kicks off again.
    Having said that, there are many on low carb diets here that wouldn't want to do anything else. It's really what you prefer.. Many people believe they burn fat faster and lose weight quicker, others believe it's because they feel so satisfied they eat far less calories, some people just think it's water weight low carbers are losing.. I kinda feel it's a bit of a mixture of these.
    If you find you are eating too much, but are still hungry - lower carbs could be a better option as replacing with protein and fat does make you feel much fuller throughout the day.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    allipops26 wrote: »
    I believe my diary is open.
    Thanks

If your weight loss is slower than you projected, based on you caloric deficit, either you're eating more than you are logging, or you are less active than you think.
  • coreyreichle
    Options

Cheers

lol. Only good for body builders? I should tell all of the people I run with to stop carb loading before races then.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Cheers

I've quoted diet doctor on one of these threads too... it's quite a nice easy to read website for beginners/people just curious
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Cheers

www.authoritynutrition.com is also a good source of info, but I learnt a lot from dietdoctor.

Don't be scared of fat! Be scared of sugar. A lot of low-fat food is high in sugar. Just something to note.

Why should I be scared of sugar? Should my Gu's cause me to be frightened when I down them during my long runs? Should I stop drinking Gatorade post-run?
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    in what way are carbs 'only good for bodybuilders'???[/quote]

Carbs are body's preferred source of energy. If you don't work out hard, you don't really need that many carbs throughout the day, hence the "low carb/high fat diet works for so many people.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Gun4a wrote: »

Carbs are body's preferred source of energy. If you don't work out hard, you don't really need that many carbs throughout the day, hence the "low carb/high fat diet works for so many people.

still not sure why its 'only bodybuilders' who would benefit? what about long distance runners for example?
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    Gun4a wrote: »
    in what way are carbs 'only good for bodybuilders'???

Carbs are body's preferred source of energy. If you don't work out hard, you don't really need that many carbs throughout the day, hence the "low carb/high fat diet works for so many people. [/quote]

Conversely, standard macro splits works out very well for very many people.

I mean, you could also say you don't really need that much fat during the day either, since carbs are the preferred energy source.