Sugar cravings after trying to quite refined sugar

Hausisse1
Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
Hi! I don't think I eat too terribly much sugar but I definitly ate more than I needed to (as all of us do) and so I decided to quit it and see what happens. Well, after a day I'm having terrible sugar cravings for the first time in forever. It sucks and I'm actually really scared because when I was anorexic I used to get really bad sugar cravings and then binged. What should I do? Has anyone tried to quit sugar or experienced this before? Is this just a withdrawal symptom? I'm SO scared of binging again.

Replies

• michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    I wouldn't quit it all at one time to risk any cravings or withdrawals especially if you are scared of binging as previously experienced. It is not worth it. The sugar is not killing you or hurting you unless you are diabetic and told medically that you need to remove it at all cost from your diet. In my personal opinion I would just make a concerted effort to make healthier choices or lower the quantity as you consume it and if felt compelled to remove it completely from your diet, then I would work on that slowly if that is your choice. Good luck,
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Sugar is not an evil monster.
    Over consumption is.
    Check the BMI chart to make sure you are not underweight.
    Focus on healthy eating.
    Avocados (healthy fats for good brain function), salads, lean meats.
  • Hausisse1
    Hey! Yeah, I'm no longer trying to lose weight, this was a totally innocent attempt to live a healthier lifestyle. I've been eating enough healthy calories but still eating sugar, and just thought I'd try out not eating refined sugar for size. I just ate a bunch of candy because I was craving it and wasn't sure what else to do to stave off the cravings. I don't feel good about myself, but I guess I'll just go back to eating healthy with the occasional treat and not try to swear off refined sugars. I'm so upset with myself because that's the first time I've felt inclined to do that since I was anorexic. Like I said, I wasn't trying to lose weight, just be healthier (three of my grandparents had diabetes) and ended up stressing myself out and eating more sugar this morning than I usually would over the course of three days. :(

I'd recently been reading a bunch of stuff about the benefits of cutting out refined sugars and wanted to try it. But I'm terrified of feeling like I don't have control over my cravings and my body again.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Go to a store and buy yourself some healthier snacks.
    That way when cravings hit, you've got food.
    I like fiber one brownies or fiber one bars. Nuts or peanut butter. Apples. Mozza cheese stick.
    A glass of skim milk really cuts down my cravings.
    * I do not count sugars from fruits, veggies, or dairy products.
  • Hausisse1
    I only count added sugars, as well. Thank you Janet. Now that I think about it, I missed a period this month and noticed I was really down in weight last week- I've been stressing over job prospects instead of eating- so that could account for my cravings too. I'll head to the store and buy some dried fruit mixes, maybe some granola bars made with honey- I'll be eating unhealthiky technically but at least I'd get the vitamins- and concentrate on eating regular, full healthy meals. So mad at myself for thinking cutting out sugar cold turkey was a good idea.
  • Hausisse1
    I think I really just wanted carbs. I ate a bunch of popcorn and found that equally as satisfying as the candy tbh.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Another one for moderation. If you're healthy, and it looks like you are, just cut back a bit on the sweets. Think better not perfect. It's much more sustainable.
  • Hausisse1
    Another one for moderation. If you're healthy, and it looks like you are, just cut back a bit on the sweets. Think better not perfect. It's much more sustainable.

You're right.
  • Hausisse1
    Wow, I really wanted carbs. Hahaha
  • Hausisse1
    I'm kicking myself, I feel stupid. I should have gone for the crackers and hummus first. I lost fove pounds in one week, of course I was going to crave sugar. Ugh. I'm so scared of being anorexic again.
  • drpsamin
    drpsamin Posts: 265 Member
    Eat something healthy like a banana when u crave sugar. Have plant sugars instead of processed.
  • Hausisse1
    drpsamin wrote: »
    Eat something healthy like a banana when u crave sugar. Have plant sugars instead of processed.

Of course, but I was speaking in terms of refined sugars. I would still eat fruits. But you're not far off, it turns out I really only wanted carbs.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    It gets better. I went cold turkey a few weeks ago. No added sugar. Two days that really sucked. But now I don't crave it.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    It could be more of a mental thing than physical. I think withdraw would be more like headaches, nausea, etc, which some people do get when they quit sugar. I did a program called "I Quit Sugar" before which I think is pretty good. They, and the World Health Organization, recommend 10 tsp of added sugar or less/day. The way you figure that out is you take the Grams of sugar divided by 4 and that's the tsp. So 8 grams of sugar is 2 tsp. This is over and above the sugars naturally found in food like fruit, milk, etc. In fact when I figure it out I try to subtract the lactose sugar grams before doing the calculation (I eat lots of plain yogurt so it's easy for me to separate it out). Anyway, in my opinion if you are eating around 10 tsp or less of sugar most days you are probably just fine. And you can always up your good fats, that helps get over sugar.
  • Hausisse1
    eringurl33 wrote: »
    It gets better. I went cold turkey a few weeks ago. No added sugar. Two days that really sucked. But now I don't crave it.

Really? You experienced cravings for the first few days as well?
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    I just want to point something out - as you are a former anorexic I'm guessing you have to fight the instinct to put foods into 'good' or 'bad' categories. A lot of the comments here seem to be leaning that way. I would suggest reframing. "Most of the time I will choose whole grain carbs, but when I don't, that's okay too.'
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Your body can't tell the difference where the sugar came from, whether it is "added" or "natural" it breaks it all down and uses it in the same way. If you don't have a medical reason to avoid it, don't stress about it.
  • ChihuahuaMeme
    ChihuahuaMeme Posts: 19 Member
    I read your brain can't tell the difference between artificial sweeteners and regular sweeteners. They say it still causes cravings. When I cheat and have sugar or even stevia I find myself wanting something with added sweetener for days. It is really hard to break the cycle again. I think I will try some whole grain carbs when the cravings hit. Thanks guys good suggestions.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Hausisse1 wrote: »
    Hi! I don't think I eat too terribly much sugar but I definitly ate more than I needed to (as all of us do) and so I decided to quit it and see what happens. Well, after a day I'm having terrible sugar cravings for the first time in forever. It sucks and I'm actually really scared because when I was anorexic I used to get really bad sugar cravings and then binged. What should I do? Has anyone tried to quit sugar or experienced this before? Is this just a withdrawal symptom? I'm SO scared of binging again.

Have you tried fruit? That has sugar.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    @Hausisse1 yep. It was not pleasant. But I feel much better for not giving in now. And if I eat a piece of fruit it tastes so sweet. Also we have had 85% dark chocolate in the house recently and it was nice, not bitter like it would be if I was having sugar all the time.