Splenda...Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use splenda as its sucrolose based, rather than aspartame, which my bf doesnt like. I think its been great for me as I used to have alot of sugar, but now ive swapped to splenda.

im sick of all these reports - everything is bad for you these days.

I like it and haven't had any side effects.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Must watch: http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/06/20/how-splenda-is-deceving-you.

Do Not trust the FDA- most of the members also work for the same corporations that sell the products. True Fact. Most products Do Not get enough testing and get passed. They only see dollar signs, not caring about our health. We have to look out for ourselves.
    Who said anything about the FDA? Artificial sweeteners are tested worldwide in many industrialized nations at all sorts of institutions with no affiliation to the FDA.

Splenda, and all artificial sweeteners (including, gasp, aspartame!) have been shown to be fine in humans.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Must watch: http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/06/20/how-splenda-is-deceving-you.

Do Not trust the FDA- most of the members also work for the same corporations that sell the products. True Fact. Most products Do Not get enough testing and get passed. They only see dollar signs, not caring about our health. We have to look out for ourselves.
    Who said anything about the FDA? Artificial sweeteners are tested worldwide in many industrialized nations at all sorts of institutions with no affiliation to the FDA.

Splenda, and all artificial sweeteners (including, gasp, aspartame!) have been shown to be fine in humans.

One of the previous posters mentioned the FDA. They are the ones that allow these products on the market and they are the ones selling the products as well. Just watch the video clip. http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/06/20/how-splenda-is-deceving-you. I don't believe everything I see on the net, but this is NO hype! Dr Mercola has done A LOT of research on this and also wrote a book on it- Sweet Deception.

Sure, it's fine for humans if you want to chance getting cancer or gaining, YES gaining weight. We all have the right to make our own choices. Watch the video- make your own decision after you've viewed facts from all viewpoints.

I did a post on this a couple days ago: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/269384-how-splenda-is-deceiving-you
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    One of the previous posters mentioned the FDA. They are the ones that allow these products on the market and they are the ones selling the products as well. Just watch the video clip. http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/06/20/how-splenda-is-deceving-you. I don't believe everything I see on the net, but Dr Mercola has done A LOT of research on this and also wrote a book on it- Sweet Deception.

Sure, it's fine for humans if you want to chance getting cancer or gaining, YES gaining weight. We all have the right to make our own choices. Watch the video- make your own decision.
    Dr. Mercola - the one who had his license suspended for giving out false information? THAT Dr. Mercola? That guy is a nutjob. Can't even make up his mind on saturated fat/cholesterol. He hasn't done empirical, peer-reviewed research; his research consists of searching on Google.

Again regarding the FDA - the facts which the FDA uses has been provided by multiple institutions, INCLUDING international institutions across the globe, which have no connection to the FDA. It's a silly justification to blame the FDA when the world of research is at a general consensus on this.

I don't have to watch a video because no scientific research exists that would lead me to believe artificial sweeteners cause cancer or weight gain. If there were sufficient evidence to make that claim, then I'd watch your video. But that evidence doesn't exist, while counter evidence to that claim does exist, making the video baseless in terms of its sources and foundation.

I don't have to watch a video that tells me unicorns are real to tell you the video is wrong. This is no different as there is no proof that exists.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    One of the previous posters mentioned the FDA. They are the ones that allow these products on the market and they are the ones selling the products as well. Just watch the video clip. http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/06/20/how-splenda-is-deceving-you. I don't believe everything I see on the net, but Dr Mercola has done A LOT of research on this and also wrote a book on it- Sweet Deception.

Sure, it's fine for humans if you want to chance getting cancer or gaining, YES gaining weight. We all have the right to make our own choices. Watch the video- make your own decision.
    Dr. Mercola - the one who had his license suspended for giving out false information? THAT Dr. Mercola? That guy is a nutjob. Can't even make up his mind on saturated fat/cholesterol. He hasn't done empirical, peer-reviewed research; his research consists of searching on Google.

Again regarding the FDA - the facts which the FDA uses has been provided by multiple institutions, INCLUDING international institutions across the globe, which have no connection to the FDA. It's a silly justification to blame the FDA when the world of research is at a general consensus on this.

I don't have to watch a video because no scientific research exists that would lead me to believe artificial sweeteners cause cancer or weight gain. If there were sufficient evidence to make that claim, then I'd watch your video. But that evidence doesn't exist, while counter evidence to that claim does exist, making the video baseless in terms of its sources and foundation.

I don't have to watch a video that tells me unicorns are real to tell you the video is wrong. This is no different as there is no proof that exists.

Continue drinking your kool-aid. Have a nice day :)
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost a lot of weight, I followed Dr. Perricone's book. He recommended using Splenda because it has been found to be the safest artificial sweetener on the market. Unless you're eating 100 packets a day, does anybody actually think it's going to harm you in a significant way? If you put a couple packets a day in your oatmeal and coffee, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. It's like with anything...MODERATION.

I don't put a lot of faith in the people who try to scare us from consuming certain things. They all like to claim these companies 'are out to get you and your money' but aren't they doing the same? Shrill books trying to frighten people from foods are looking to make a profit from those books, just as the makers of Splenda are looking to make a profit from their product.

As for Splenda being expensive...just watch out for coupons and sales. Two months ago they put out $3/1 coupons. The very next week Walgreens put the Splenda 100 ct. on sale for 2.99...so guess who got 20 boxes of FREE Splenda???? Me ;)
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Continue drinking your kool-aid. Have a nice day :)
    Uh huh, when institutions in Tokyo, Rome and Saudi Arabia reach the same conclusions I'm telling you from actual scientific research, it's just a big conspiracy!

If you want to patronize me, then I'll say I'm willing to bet you have zero understanding of the scientific method, and thus your opinion is completely meaningless when it comes to understanding proper sources. But keep believing your internet videos and doctors who have been suspended for malpractice. Great sources you've got there!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    t
    Splenda contains chlorine according to "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills"

It does, the chlorine replaces hydroxides in the bond. However, the electronegativity of that bond is the reason that we cannot digest it for calories. As such, the chlorine passes out of the body, intact with the molecule, without ever becoming a free chloride ion.

Finally, someone who understands chemistry!
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    t

It does, the chlorine replaces hydroxides in the bond. However, the electronegativity of that bond is the reason that we cannot digest it for calories. As such, the chlorine passes out of the body, intact with the molecule, without ever becoming a free chloride ion.

This is why people need to understand the difference between biochemical research, and the practical application of that research.

Yeah if you solely focus on the biomechanics of lots of things, it'll sound terrible. But what's the implications of those biomechanics when applied to the realistic intake of those foods? Nothing. That applies to artificial sweeteners, HFCS, saturated/trans fat, etc.

Missing the forest for the trees - whenever someone tells you what the biochemical process is of <food>, ALWAYS ask what the practical implications are of that process for your everyday consumer.
  • paperpusher3
    paperpusher3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's really such a personal choice. I'm on a diabetic diet so me adding sugar to my tea or coffee is out. Most of the time I don't use anything in them But sometimes I want it sweetened and I find I like the taste of stevia better for that. I have nothing against Splenda since it's used in so many products. It doesn't bother me. I have a friend who couldn't use Equal because it gave her bladder pains. She switched to Splenda and also uses stevia with no problem. But you have to understand that she puts 7 packets of Splenda in one cup of tea!! Everything in moderation.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I love Splenda. I tried Stevia in the Raw...YUCK! I can't do it. Anything that makes 0% greek yogurt taste worst is not happening for me :noway:
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    t

This is why people need to understand the difference between biochemical research, and the practical application of that research.

Yeah if you solely focus on the biomechanics of lots of things, it'll sound terrible. But what's the implications of those biomechanics when applied to the realistic intake of those foods? Nothing. That applies to artificial sweeteners, HFCS, saturated/trans fat, etc.

Missing the forest for the trees - whenever someone tells you what the biochemical process is of <food>, ALWAYS ask what the practical implications are of that process for your everyday consumer.

The hard part is when scare tactics are used, from a position of authority, on an audience that is not (nor should required to be) immediately prepared to deal with the data. Chlorine, for example, sounds terrifying (bleach, gas), when it is, in fact, a vital element that appears naturally in cocoa, cheese, beer, etc. Not a danger at all, and is even necessary. Ah well.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    The hard part is when scare tactics are used, from a position of authority, on an audience that is not (nor should required to be) immediately prepared to deal with the data. Chlorine, for example, sounds terrifying (bleach, gas), when it is, in fact, a vital element that appears naturally in cocoa, cheese, beer, etc. Not a danger at all, and is even necessary. Ah well.
    I think you just explained how the diet industry makes its money and why it's one of the top grossing industries in America: thrives off fear.

Also this is the main reason why I think basic research/stats/scientific method courses should be a requirement in high school. EVERYONE in this country would benefit from understanding how to approach claims with a skeptical and empirical thought process. It would be much more difficult to dupe the masses, at very least.
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I think you just explained how the diet industry makes its money and why it's one of the top grossing industries in America: thrives off fear.

Also this is the main reason why I think basic research/stats/scientific method courses should be a requirement in high school. EVERYONE in this country would benefit from understanding how to approach claims with a skeptical and empirical thought process. It would be much more difficult to dupe the masses, at very least.

It would be a different industry if, indeed, everytime someone makes some incredible claim, the target population starts asking for P values and confidence intervals, rather than going for their credit card. It would, at least, be amusing.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    AAAgh man, I still use Sweet an Low.:blushing:
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    It would be a different industry if, indeed, everytime someone makes some incredible claim, the target population starts asking for P values and confidence intervals, rather than going for their credit card. It would, at least, be amusing.
    That is the world I one day want to live in. Hell, just asking for P values alone would be such a leap.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I stay away from refined sugars and fake sugars. Splenda, in particular, caused me to have horrific kidney troubles. My doctor said that he sees that all the time in people that regularly use Splenda.

I use small amounts of honey and whatever sweetness that is naturally found in fruits. BUT---I'm also pretty paleo. It's changed my entire life and my body.
  • SkylinePigeon9797
    Options
    Stevia is what I have started using, it's natural and tastes just fine.
  • tinamwilson
    Options
    If it's made with chemicals it's not from nature. Truvia is made from the stevia plant and has no chemical additives. Splenda is chemical city! Might as well have Aspartame...
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    If it's made with chemicals it's not from nature. Truvia is made from the stevia plant and has no chemical additives. Splenda is chemical city! Might as well have Aspartame...

Truvia is highly refined, and has large amounts of added erythritol.