I want nice toned legs but there still wobbly ?!?

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If I eat carbs everyday I gain weight. My clothes dnt fit me anymore regardless of how long I've been eating them . Theres loads of fitness people out there who eat low carb high fat diets so surely this can be an actual problem for some people

Solid logic.

957.gif
  • hollyblythes
    hollyblythes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh god ... Enough with the negativity ! Thort people were supposed to be nice and help each other out not judge them (roll eyes) ... All I know is how my body reacts to eating a lot of carbs- badly so I'm gunna listen to what my body is telling me it think that's important personally
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The reply was simply telling you why you gained weight. You didn't gain fat, you retained water. Water weight that isn't permanent.

You are new to understanding the science of lifting whixh isn't bad or a crime but I noticed you also believe in "toning"which is a made up word used to market products to sell products decades ago.

The reply(s) wasn't negative, it's just not what you want to hear. There are quite a few people here that know more than the loads of fitness people that shovel lies just to market and sell products.

If you don't want the truth, why ask questions?

• ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You need to be much clearer in your information....
    What does this mean precisely "train with weights 3 times a week and do cardio 2 times a week"
    What weights? What routine? What cardio? How long or how far?

To take it to extremes you could be training like a beast or playing with the pink dumbbells, walking on the spot or cycling 50 miles......

Are you at goal weight?
    Are you losing or maintaining at 1200 cals?
    "I've been told not to increase it too much too soon" - why? Trying to lose more weight or not?

Sorry! Right so on my two cardio days I do

interval sprints (jog 1min then sprint 45 seconds for 10 mins)

) Xtrainer 15sec slow 15 fast as i can 30sec slow 30 fast as I can, 45sec slow 45sec fast 1min slow 1 min fast for 4 rounds

Then the stepper changing up again how fast I go.

Weight wise

I do a diff every session I dnt have a set plan but things like squats with 12+ Kg kettle bell, smith machine squats or lunches with 5-10kg each side depending what type of squat I'm doing. Lunges with dumbbells ( forwards, backwards and back to the side). Pulsing squats with no weight or a dumbbell. All of these and other types of things like that but it would take me years to write it all, I pick a few and do 10 reps 5 times.

Then leg press, curl and extension I do either single leg at 14kg or both legs at 25kg 10 reps 5 sets.

I also do donkey kicks and that type of thing with an ankle weight.

My upper body I dnt do much and I dnt need to to keep toned because I have very minimal body fat there.

I'm maintaining at 1200. I can assure u I work hard in the gym I never leave without looking a total mess. And I'm not trying to loose weight just body fat. I'm very carb sensitive so i can easily gain weight if I had a week off.

You're not really doing weights at a level that are going to do much for you. The muscles know how to fire which is good, just not likely you'll gain muscle at any point like that, or retain the muscle in a deficit, which is what you'll need if you want definition.
  • ShodanPrime
    Options
    Oh god ... Enough with the negativity ! Thort people were supposed to be nice and help each other out not judge them (roll eyes) ... All I know is how my body reacts to eating a lot of carbs- badly so I'm gunna listen to what my body is telling me it think that's important personally

I wouldn't assume that from any internet forum, honestly.
  • ShodanPrime
    Options
    If I eat carbs everyday I gain weight. My clothes dnt fit me anymore regardless of how long I've been eating them . Theres loads of fitness people out there who eat low carb high fat diets so surely this can be an actual problem for some people

If you eat too much every day you gain weight. Not carbs, it's excess.
  • KennyLaguna2016
    KennyLaguna2016 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your still hot...I wouldn't worry about it : )
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

Here is a good article on Carbohydrates.

https://8fit.com/blog/glycogen-gluconeogenesis-and-water-weight/

• BadWolf138
    BadWolf138 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Squats!! Squats will help you tighten your hamstrings as well as back. Even Romanian lifts are great for hamstrings and glutes. As far as diet, I'd say 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats. Good luck!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OP you're all over the place.

Did I see you mention you're maintaing on 1200? No you're not. You're eating more than you think.

Also, if you eat carbs every day and they're putting you in a calorie surplus-then yeah, you'll gain weight. If you log your food carefully and include an amount of carbohydrates that fit into your calorie goal you can maintain and lose weight eating carbs.

"Toning" is not a thing. You can lose fat to reveal muscle by strength training with a progressive overload. Is that what you want? Pick one of the programs listed earlier in the thread. Log your food accurately and get closer to maintenance calories so you can build a little muscle.
  • ShodanPrime
    Options
    Your still hot...I wouldn't worry about it : )

How is this appropriate, bruh?
  • hollyblythes
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    The reply was simply telling you why you gained weight. You didn't gain fat, you retained water. Water weight that isn't permanent.

You are new to understanding the science of lifting whixh isn't bad or a crime but I noticed you also believe in "toning"which is a made up word used to market products to sell products decades ago.

The reply(s) wasn't negative, it's just not what you want to hear. There are quite a few people here that know more than the loads of fitness people that shovel lies just to market and sell products.

If you don't want the truth, why ask questions?

I'm not talking about the comments about water retention I'm talking about the comment with the video which was not even remotely useful. As for the word toning well I dnt want to be really muscly and have a six pack ect like the trend is so I thought that would be a better word
  • hollyblythes
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You need to be much clearer in your information....
    What does this mean precisely "train with weights 3 times a week and do cardio 2 times a week"
    What weights? What routine? What cardio? How long or how far?

To take it to extremes you could be training like a beast or playing with the pink dumbbells, walking on the spot or cycling 50 miles......

Are you at goal weight?
    Are you losing or maintaining at 1200 cals?
    "I've been told not to increase it too much too soon" - why? Trying to lose more weight or not?

Sorry! Right so on my two cardio days I do

interval sprints (jog 1min then sprint 45 seconds for 10 mins)

) Xtrainer 15sec slow 15 fast as i can 30sec slow 30 fast as I can, 45sec slow 45sec fast 1min slow 1 min fast for 4 rounds

Then the stepper changing up again how fast I go.

Weight wise

I do a diff every session I dnt have a set plan but things like squats with 12+ Kg kettle bell, smith machine squats or lunches with 5-10kg each side depending what type of squat I'm doing. Lunges with dumbbells ( forwards, backwards and back to the side). Pulsing squats with no weight or a dumbbell. All of these and other types of things like that but it would take me years to write it all, I pick a few and do 10 reps 5 times.

Then leg press, curl and extension I do either single leg at 14kg or both legs at 25kg 10 reps 5 sets.

I also do donkey kicks and that type of thing with an ankle weight.

My upper body I dnt do much and I dnt need to to keep toned because I have very minimal body fat there.

I'm maintaining at 1200. I can assure u I work hard in the gym I never leave without looking a total mess. And I'm not trying to loose weight just body fat. I'm very carb sensitive so i can easily gain weight if I had a week off.

You're not really doing weights at a level that are going to do much for you. The muscles know how to fire which is good, just not likely you'll gain muscle at any point like that, or retain the muscle in a deficit, which is what you'll need if you want definition.

Ok thank you :)
  • hollyblythes
    Options

If you eat too much every day you gain weight. Not carbs, it's excess.

That's was poorly worded.. I mean if I have them at more than one meal every day .. Thanks tho.
  • hollyblythes
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

Thank you :) will look into this carb thing more see what's going on so this is really useful

• hollyblythes
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

This was seriously helpful. Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. Amazing to know I'm not getting fatter haha .. I will introduce some complex carbs on weight days and up my weights .
  • hollyblythes
    Options
    BadWolf138 wrote: »
    Squats!! Squats will help you tighten your hamstrings as well as back. Even Romanian lifts are great for hamstrings and glutes. As far as diet, I'd say 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats. Good luck!

Thanks ! Any particular squats ? The smith machines busy a lot so I can't use it ... Do squats with kettle bells really do much ?
  • EwanF1690
    EwanF1690 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Do not listen to people telling you to eat at a caloric deficit currently. At your weight and height, with your current calorie intake, reducing it further could be dangerous. There is no 'toning' when it comes to the body, it's a weird way to think about it. To achieve muscle tone you must increase muscle mass and reduce body fat. At your current weight I would suggest the body fat percentage isn't the issue, it's the amount of muscle mass you have.

I would advise a program that targets your entire body and not just your legs. Consistency is key and training 4 times a week with a split like Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Legs and Shoulders/Abs would get you started. Keep this up for several weeks and you'll start to notice changes not only in your body but quality of sleep, appetite and self worth.

Legs - Squats, Lunges, Sumo Deadlifts, Hamstring Curls, Leg Extensions.
    Shoulders - Shoulder press, Front Raises, Lateral Raises, Upright Rows.
    Back - Bent over row, T-Bar Row, Pull-ups, Dealifts.
    Biceps - Hammer Curls, Bicep Curls (seated and standing, using a bar or dumbbells).
    Triceps - Dips, Cable Push-down, Skull crushers.
    Chest - Dumbell Press (Incline and Decline), Dumbbell Flies, Cable Flies.

That's a few ideas for exercises to get you started. Use free weights where possible and leave machines behind. Bodybuilding.com has a massive catalogue of exercises to get you started. (Click the annotate body parts)
  • hollyblythes
    Options
    EwanF1690 wrote: »
    Do not listen to people telling you to eat at a caloric deficit currently. At your weight and height, with your current calorie intake, reducing it further could be dangerous. There is no 'toning' when it comes to the body, it's a weird way to think about it. To achieve muscle tone you must increase muscle mass and reduce body fat. At your current weight I would suggest the body fat percentage isn't the issue, it's the amount of muscle mass you have.

I would advise a program that targets your entire body and not just your legs. Consistency is key and training 4 times a week with a split like Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Legs and Shoulders/Abs would get you started. Keep this up for several weeks and you'll start to notice changes not only in your body but quality of sleep, appetite and self worth.

Legs - Squats, Lunges, Sumo Deadlifts, Hamstring Curls, Leg Extensions.
    Shoulders - Shoulder press, Front Raises, Lateral Raises, Upright Rows.
    Back - Bent over row, T-Bar Row, Pull-ups, Dealifts.
    Biceps - Hammer Curls, Bicep Curls (seated and standing, using a bar or dumbbells).
    Triceps - Dips, Cable Push-down, Skull crushers.
    Chest - Dumbell Press (Incline and Decline), Dumbbell Flies, Cable Flies.

That's a few ideas for exercises to get you started. Use free weights where possible and leave machines behind. Bodybuilding.com has a massive catalogue of exercises to get you started. (Click the annotate body parts)

Thank you. The ideas are really helpful. I do upper body but not split like that, I'm guilty of doing legs a lot so I'll give that a try :)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm 24, female 8st 5, train with weights 3 times a week and do cardio 2 times a week ... My legs are toned in the sense that when I tense they are firm but when I'm not tensing ther all wobbly and you can't see any deffinaiton ! I really want nice clearly defined hamstrings ... Any advice ? Why am I not getting any leaner ?

My legs are pretty swole from the running I do.

They still wobble when at rest.