I want nice toned legs but there still wobbly ?!?

Options
13»

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If I eat carbs everyday I gain weight. My clothes dnt fit me anymore regardless of how long I've been eating them . Theres loads of fitness people out there who eat low carb high fat diets so surely this can be an actual problem for some people

No, it's really not.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    BadWolf138 wrote: »
    Squats!! Squats will help you tighten your hamstrings as well as back. Even Romanian lifts are great for hamstrings and glutes. As far as diet, I'd say 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats. Good luck!

Thanks ! Any particular squats ? The smith machines busy a lot so I can't use it ... Do squats with kettle bells really do much ?

Barbell back squat, do it in a power cage. Then follow it up with Romanian deadlifts. Then a bit of work on the hack squat machine and then some glute ham raises.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    EwanF1690 wrote: »
    Do not listen to people telling you to eat at a caloric deficit currently. At your weight and height, with your current calorie intake, reducing it further could be dangerous. There is no 'toning' when it comes to the body, it's a weird way to think about it. To achieve muscle tone you must increase muscle mass and reduce body fat. At your current weight I would suggest the body fat percentage isn't the issue, it's the amount of muscle mass you have.

I would advise a program that targets your entire body and not just your legs. Consistency is key and training 4 times a week with a split like Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Legs and Shoulders/Abs would get you started. Keep this up for several weeks and you'll start to notice changes not only in your body but quality of sleep, appetite and self worth.

Legs - Squats, Lunges, Sumo Deadlifts, Hamstring Curls, Leg Extensions.
    Shoulders - Shoulder press, Front Raises, Lateral Raises, Upright Rows.
    Back - Bent over row, T-Bar Row, Pull-ups, Dealifts.
    Biceps - Hammer Curls, Bicep Curls (seated and standing, using a bar or dumbbells).
    Triceps - Dips, Cable Push-down, Skull crushers.
    Chest - Dumbell Press (Incline and Decline), Dumbbell Flies, Cable Flies.

That's a few ideas for exercises to get you started. Use free weights where possible and leave machines behind. Bodybuilding.com has a massive catalogue of exercises to get you started. (Click the annotate body parts)

Too much fat on my legs is preventing definition.

Do not lose fat!

Seems a good plan.
  • EwanF1690
    EwanF1690 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Do not listen to people telling you to eat at a caloric deficit currently. At your weight and height, with your current calorie intake, reducing it further could be dangerous. There is no 'toning' when it comes to the body, it's a weird way to think about it. To achieve muscle tone you must increase muscle mass and reduce body fat. At your current weight I would suggest the body fat percentage isn't the issue, it's the amount of muscle mass you have.

I would advise a program that targets your entire body and not just your legs. Consistency is key and training 4 times a week with a split like Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Legs and Shoulders/Abs would get you started. Keep this up for several weeks and you'll start to notice changes not only in your body but quality of sleep, appetite and self worth.

Biceps - Hammer Curls, Bicep Curls (seated and standing, using a bar or dumbbells).

That's a few ideas for exercises to get you started. Use free weights where possible and leave machines behind. Bodybuilding.com has a massive catalogue of exercises to get you started. (Click the annotate body parts)

Do not lose fat!

Seems a good plan.

Actually, she can already see definition on her legs when they're tensed, if you read her post. So losing fat is not a good idea. Telling someone to lose weight at 8st 5lbs when they're 5' 4" and already eat hardly any calories and only 1200 calories a day is going to give them an eating disorder. Increased exercise through lifting will reduce body fat without making those changes.

Also - did you read what I wrote? Lack of definition (or tone) can be the result of too much body fat or a lack of muscle mass. This girl does not have ecessive body fat.

If you're having trouble with your carbs btw - try to make sure your eating wholemeal carbohydrates which tend to be slower releasing. This made a big change for me when I started training all those years ago ☺️.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Do not lose fat!

Seems a good plan.

Actually, she can already see definition on her legs when they're tensed, if you read her post. So losing fat is not a good idea. Telling someone to lose weight at 8st 5lbs when they're 5' 4" and already eat hardly any calories and only 1200 calories a day is going to give them an eating disorder. Increased exercise through lifting will reduce body fat without making those changes.

Also - did you read what I wrote? Lack of definition (or tone) can be the result of too much body fat or a lack of muscle mass. This girl does not have ecessive body fat.

If you're having trouble with your carbs btw - try to make sure your eating wholemeal carbohydrates which tend to be slower releasing. This made a big change for me when I started training all those years ago ☺️.

This is exactly what I have been trying to say. Losing more fat is not always the answer. People need to not just read an OP and respond to it. Use your critical thinking, consider all of the facts (including doing the math and looking at a weight chart if you aren't familiar with female weights/heights), and then respond.
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oh god ... Enough with the negativity ! Thort people were supposed to be nice and help each other out not judge them (roll eyes) ... All I know is how my body reacts to eating a lot of carbs- badly so I'm gunna listen to what my body is telling me it think that's important personally

I am in the same shoes. MY body does not react to carbs well, and I get a sick feeling if I over eat carbs, usually anything over 50-60 grams in a day. I can eat all the veggies I want, but when I start getting into rice, or sweet potatoes, that is when my body starts to disagree with me. I switched to a Ketogenic diet about 2 weeks ago, focusing on high fat, low carbs, and decent amount of protein, and I feel amazing. No more bloating, no more cramping, my energy levels are up, and I am losing weight too.

I would also recommend to check out Mind Pump if your concerned about your lifting. They are a fitness Podcast, but they will change the way you look at fitness, food and living. I've been listening to them and starting following their programs a couple weeks ago and I have seen increases in all my core lifts, squats, bench and deadlift. Best of luck!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    BadWolf138 wrote: »
    Squats!! Squats will help you tighten your hamstrings as well as back. Even Romanian lifts are great for hamstrings and glutes. As far as diet, I'd say 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats. Good luck!

Thanks ! Any particular squats ? The smith machines busy a lot so I can't use it ... Do squats with kettle bells really do much ?

Yes Squats!!!!!! Even air squats do a lot if done properly. Adding weight with a kettlebell or barbell...bonus. Deadlifts have also helped me with definition in my legs. I always recommend having a trainer to help with form in the beginning. Form is key. Oh, and lots of protein in your diet!
    Even very muscular legs have a wobble, so I wouldn't worry too much.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you want to look more solid without flexing, you may have to progressively lift heavier. Do you have access to free weights? Specifically an Olympic barbell and cage? If you do, SL5x5 is a good beginner program that introduces you to the five basic compound lifts. The program has you start with just the bar and progressively add weights every session. You build strength fast while learning good foundation lifts. Strong Curves has more variety but does not have an easy app to follow that lays out the sets/reps and weight increases like SL. But SC has great moves for lower body training. You just have to track your progress and gradually lift heavier. I did both. And now I integrate both into my training.

You may be basically maintaining what you have built if you are not upping the resistance. A lifting program can help you learn to progress (train your CNS and muscle). And, with time and progressively heavier weights, you can see results.

ETA: ^^^^^ protein!