succeeding without logging

Options
I tried a search but couldn't find anything about this.

I hate everything about logging - the weighing, the measuring, the sitting down at the computer when I otherwise wouldn't have to, the entering a recipe and trying to figure out how many servings it makes and how large each serving is, etc etc etc. I've been trying to force myself to do it, and the harder I push myself, the more I rebel by eating everything in sight.

So what else is there? Is anybody succeeding at weight loss without all the accounting?

Replies

• caylalane
    caylalane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    While I agree that I find the logging annoying, it does help. I find it easier to log on my phone than the computer. However, i did realize about how many calories were in the amount of food I eat after weighing it enough times, so I don't feel it necessary to weigh all the time when I have a good idea of what I'm eating without doing that. That said, it does take quite a few times of weighing until I can eyeball it. Obviously not as accurate, but close enough for me.
  • vegas518
    vegas518 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I log my weight, water, and exercise. I do not, however, log my food. It's tedious and I just don't have time. That being said, I am VERY conscientious about what and how much I'm eating. I'm careful about my portion sizes and what type of foods I'm eating. I've been successful thus far. My total weight loss is almost 30 pounds since October. Good luck with your journey!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Logging is only a method of having unlimited freedom to choose to eat ANY food you want.

Pre-packaged, pre-measured food is the simplest. Scan it, eat it, you're done. Same thing, day after day after day after day etc....

Pizza, chocolate cake, fried chicken, beer, ANYTHING is available to you. IF you honestly and accurately log your intake and stay at your planned calorie deficit, you will still lose weight. For the rest of your life. Without having to exercise if you don't want to.

I get on an eating jag where I will eat pretty much the same thing for weeks. I have 2 sausage McMuffins for breakfast, a Michelina's frozen dinner and a cup of nonfat yogurt for lunch, another Michelina's frozen dinner and an apple for dinner on my 12 hour work days. Pre-packaged, pre-measured, done.

On my days off I can have anything I want. Right now I'm really into guacamole and marshmallows (not necessarily together). I looked it up and regular sized marshmallows are 25 calories each, 4 for 100 cal. I roast 'em over my firepit in the evening and consider it a real treat.

I have one bonus meal a week where I have hamburger, French fries, BBQ ribs, pizza, chicken chimichanga or some other tasty treat and done. I log it just for consistency sake but don't really worry about limiting calories for that one meal.

Doing this for the last three months and lost 30 pounds.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It gets easier after about a month or so. Most of us pretty much eat the same foods.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    So what else is there? Is anybody succeeding at weight loss without all the accounting?

Another way is to eat the same sets of foods over and over. For example, measure out a bunch of same portions of rice, bread, mac and cheese, chicken, etc. On any day you can have any combination of the same amounts of carbs, protein, veggies, etc. Weigh yourself periodically and adjust the portions. You will dial in the right portions after a couple weeks. After that, all you have to do is weigh the foods, put them in containers, eat. No accounting.

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Calorie counting isn't the end-all, be-all. I love it for the flexibility and sense of control. However, I can see where some people would find it too nit-picky.

Have you tried the popular diets? Atkins, Zone, South Beach, etc.?

The key to weight loss is a calorie deficit. It doesn't really matter how you get there. Every successful diet plan is going to have a set of rules that gets you into a calorie deficit even if you don't have to count calories directly.

Read around and find a plan that looks like it will work for your lifestyle. Once you pick something, give it a few months to work before you give up on it. If it's not for you, try something different. There are almost as many published diet plans as there are grains of sand in a desert.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Another way is to eat the same sets of foods over and over. For example, measure out a bunch of same portions of rice, bread, mac and cheese, chicken, etc. On any day you can have any combination of the same amounts of carbs, protein, veggies, etc. Weigh yourself periodically and adjust the portions. You will dial in the right portions after a couple weeks. After that, all you have to do is weigh the foods, put them in containers, eat. No accounting.
    I am doing this in maintenance, and I think it would have worked for me losing as well, because I can easily adjust my weight this way. But I needed calorie counting for the education. I learnt what and how much to eat, and how and what to eat to be pleasantly full, and what pleasantly full is supposed to feel like. I eat a varied diet, but my breakfasts follow the same pattern from day to day, as do my lunches, dinners and evening meals. I weigh milk, nuts, rice, vegetables, sandwich spread etc, for different reasons (not just for calories, but to avoid stomach ache, and not run out unexpectedly).

seska422 wrote: »
    Calorie counting isn't the end-all, be-all. I love it for the flexibility and sense of control. However, I can see where some people would find it too nit-picky.

The key to weight loss is a calorie deficit. It doesn't really matter how you get there. Every successful diet plan is going to have a set of rules that gets you into a calorie deficit even if you don't have to count calories directly.

Read around and find a plan that looks like it will work for your lifestyle. Once you pick something, give it a few months to work before you give up on it. If it's not for you, try something different. There are almost as many published diet plans as there are grains of sand in a desert.
    I could never do a "diet", and I don't think they are necessary. Ordinary food goes a long way. Isn't the goal for most people to eat normally? I think getting in normal eating habits as early as possible will increase success rate, and that these diets represent a detour. Lots of people seem to think that extreme diets are needed to counterbalance bad eating habits. I think that just adds to the problem.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

I could never do a "diet", and I don't think they are necessary. Ordinary food goes a long way. Isn't the goal for most people to eat normally? I think getting in normal eating habits as early as possible will increase success rate, and that these diets represent a detour. Lots of people seem to think that extreme diets are needed to counterbalance bad eating habits. I think that just adds to the problem.
    Nothing will work if you don't do it. The OP doesn't like anything about MFP's weight loss method.

People are different and have different needs at different points in their lives.

Not all diet plans are extreme. Some are quite balanced.

We all have to find what works for ourselves. Some like structure and some don't.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yup changing eating habits id the way to go. But to do that you have to know what you ate before and who to change it, so you're not gonna like the next bit - that means logging, eventually your learn to eat more healthily and its not so much a chore. Also if you eat the same rounds of food / meals / snacks and save meals it gets easier. Things that are worthwhile are usually gained with effort, weight isn't just going to go away on its own, you have to make an effort, but it does get easier as you get more used to it - I hardly notice now.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I make stupid choices without logging. My stomach always fights my brain and wins if I don't have a plan.
  • squirtychookgirl
    squirtychookgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I joined here purely to read and join in the forums at times. I do not log anything. I just don't have the inclination especially since I AM losing weight by being mindful of what I put in my mouth. If I was struggling, I would be logging and counting calories. Out of interest though, I have weighed my yoghurt and muesli so I know what a serving looks like.

However, when I reach my goal weight, I may well revisit that approach and start logging as I have done the diet thing before, got very near my goal then put it all back on and more. I am so determined that this is the last I am going to do the hard yards of losing weight. My health is more important than that now.

SW 102.2 kg (225 lbs)
    CW 82.3 kg (181 lbs)
    GW 70 kg (154 lbs)
  • squirtychookgirl
    squirtychookgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    gothomson wrote: »
    Yup changing eating habits id the way to go. But to do that you have to know what you ate before and who to change it, so you're not gonna like the next bit - that means logging, eventually your learn to eat more healthily and its not so much a chore. Also if you eat the same rounds of food / meals / snacks and save meals it gets easier. Things that are worthwhile are usually gained with effort, weight isn't just going to go away on its own, you have to make an effort, but it does get easier as you get more used to it - I hardly notice now.

Funnily, I KNOW foods to eat to be healthy that's why I I always manage to lose weight, but due to a lack of restraint, I go back to eating too much of the foods I love and it all comes back.

For me, losing weight and to keep it off, I have to change my mindset and I have been able to do that so far. Willpower is an amazing thing, along with eating healthy, filling foods when you're hungry.
  • Afuller71
    Afuller71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ive lost weight without the need to log my food, sometimes i think you eat more because you see you have the calories available....i too am struggling and agree its a pain finding all the info for one meal. im thinking about leaving fitness pal and just logging my progress on my phone or on my calendar . hard enough losing weight without the added chore of logging everything... as for ppl saying dont log, stay fat. ignore. It is harsh and unhelpful advice. I wonder if fitness pal gives SOME...not all an unhealthy obsession with food. no one thing works for everyone so dont beat yourself up about it. You will succeed you just need to find the right way for you. Good luck
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,845 Member
    Options
    I tried a search but couldn't find anything about this.

I hate everything about logging - the weighing, the measuring, the sitting down at the computer when I otherwise wouldn't have to, the entering a recipe and trying to figure out how many servings it makes and how large each serving is, etc etc etc. I've been trying to force myself to do it, and the harder I push myself, the more I rebel by eating everything in sight.

My husband lost about 20 kg without logging a thing ... or joining MFP (a logging program).

How did he do it?

He works 8 hours a day, 5 days a week on a physically active job + walks and cycles with me after work and on the weekends + doesn't overdo it with the food.

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I lost my first 16kg not counting calories and not following any specific method.

I decreased my reliance on convenience foods.

I increased my intake of protein and vegetables. I had to eat that before I indulged.

I ate a lot of bread, pasta and rice previously. Like a real lot. I cut that right back. Balanced it out with above. The plate was 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb, 1/2 veg.

I stopped grazing. Snacks were fruit. Kept apples in my bag. I preferred to eat at home (economics) but when I ate out I leant on protein and veg as the bulk with a smidge of anything else. The joy in eating out was more so due the fact I didn't have to cook!

I had no hang ups about sugars etc but I definitely indulged too frequently and just for the sake of it. Half of it I didn't really like, I was mindlessly eating. So I became more discerning about what I'd indulge in. Plus they don't give satiety. So I began to ask myself did I want the food because I was hungry or just needed a taste? Hunger meant more protein and veg (which had to be delicious because suffering meant lack of adherence), taste meant eat a small amount.

I like the process to have more meaning than just losing weight. So, what motivated me was getting a better balance of nutrition, modelling behaviours for my kids, teaching them to enjoy cooking, never wanting to lose again so it had to be sustainable past goal weight even if it meant taking longer.

I looked at various methods. None of them particularly appealed to me but what I did see in common between most of them was smaller portions of whole home prepared foods and a daily structure which I recognised was what my mum had done and I'd lost sight of. Re-engaging with that solved a whole lot of mindlessness I was doing prior. Bad habits crept in with marriage and babies. I'd lost my way.

I too see a problem with myself calorie counting. I use it but I have to be careful. It can be a slippery slope for me too. I don't see it as my sustainable. When I lose my way, and it happens cos "life" , it's the structure I lean on first, not where my calories are. I've learned my lesson in that regard and I recognise this is a personal thing.

I think some people have a good structure but they overeat. Calorie counting solves that. Reigns it in. My problem was lack of structure, I'd even go as far as saying a lack of common sense, I needed to adult myself the hell up. So structure solved a lot of my problem. When I log now, my interest is fibre. It tells me my structure is good (for me). I know that sounds odd but hey it's tailored to my way of thinking.

ETA: I also walked 1/2hr at least per day. Cos the government said it'd keep my heart happy.

EETTAA:)...if I had a celebration coming up or the like, I'd not indulge during the week and then I'd have whatever I wanted at the function. Lean on protein n veg first, then cheesecake!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I have to track. I tried doing maintenance without it, but the further away from the weight loss phase I got, the easier it was to get sloppy. The great thing is though, once I started tracking my intake again, the maintenance weight creep went away fairly quickly. It's such a great feeling knowing that this works and I can use tracking as a tool to maintain my loss for the rest of my life! My health and quality of life is sooo worth the few minutes a day that it takes me to track my calories :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I just recently stopped logging. I decided to do it as a challenge. I had been doing it for 11 months without fail, not weighing everything all the time, but I did do that in the beginning.
    My entire journey has been focused around learning to control hunger and understand the difference between hunger and boredom and cravings and learning to eat only when hungry and only until satisfied. But I will never allow myself to "go hungry". Some days I'm not as hungry so I eat less, some days I'm more hungry, so I eat more. I'm at a point where I believe I know the difference between real hunger and the other feelings that can make us want to eat. So I stopped logging and I've had great success with it. I still participate in group chats and I log my supplements as a way to not fully disconnect from it.
    I think it's a matter of your ability to identify when you've had enough food and when you're possibly eating too much too often.