To those who lost 50-60 lbs and more.

Options
Hi i have a lot of weight to lose, SW 223lbs, CW 196, GW 160-150. Do any of you have extra skin issues, I'm really don't want that, but of course i want to lose weight and go back to my younger self. What do you do to avoid it, is it possible to avoid at all, or it shouldn't even worry me, since i don't have 200 lbs to lose? Would appreciate all input, thank you all.

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    at my highest weight i was 242, but the longest time was around 190. i have lots of extra skin in the belly area, and nothing i did - lotions, losing slowly - affected it in any way. any arm and leg extra skin can be filled with muscle if you resistance train. if you're genetically fortunate, you may have better luck and your skin may shrink back more than mine did.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree... nothing you can do about it, really, so worrying doesn't help. It is what it is! It probably won't be terrible and it depends on where you carry your weight. My arms ended up being terribly saggy (it was humiliating to me!) so I got them "fixed" and the rest of me is easier for me to deal with. My thighs are saggy and my tummy is a little saggy... it's just part of it. I put lotion on every day but I'm pretty sure it only helps a little.

(I started at 207, currently 135)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Not for me, no. I started out at just under 200 and am now down to about 137 and did it very slowly. I doubt that had anything to do with it, since I think it's mostly a genetic thing, but I don't have any loose skin.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't think that you should worry about it because what is done is done and you cannot fix it at this point. I do have skin issues. I've gone from 202.5 to the high 140s. The following things affect your final "this is it" point with your skin:

- genetics
    - how long your were big

People will tell you to lose weight slowly or use cocoa butter or lift weights to avoid loose skin but, ultimately, those will not affect whether or not your skin shrinks back. Losing weight slowly helps minimize the chance of your fat loss outpacing your skin's shrinkage rate. Cocoa butter gives you soft skin but doesn't help it shrink. Lifting weights help you to be strong and fit and look good plus gives you something to obsess over rather than the state of your skin. But none of them will actually make your skin shrink up more or faster.

all of this.

I went from 215 at my highest to 115 at my lowest (5 foot 4inches tall) - the skin around my hips/thighs and boobs had a bit of extra stretch and I have a sad face belly button but outside of that it was find. Not really noticeable to anyone but me (or if I pinch and pull the skin). I lost weight slowly during my mid 20s.

I'm about 25 pounds up from my lowest and the extra stretch in my skin is still there but I'm a bit fuller (if that makes sense).
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little over 50lbs and had no skin sagging issues. A side note-my body continued to change shape for around a year after I started transitioning into maintenance.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    HW 360, CW 200-210 ish (haven't used my scale in 5 weeks so I'm not really sure but its around there.) gw is 130ish.

I have had a baby I should start by saying also I was much larger than you. I do have lose skin. Most of it when I hit my correct weight will pull up but I will always have an over hang and lose skin on my arms and thighs. It doesn't bother me because I am so much healthier than before. When the time comes I will likely have my skin tucked if it bothers me that much then.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 220 my lowest weight 141. I've had no skin loose skin issues save for my abs as a result of carrying a baby to full term.
  • VelvetMerkin
    VelvetMerkin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    5'7" and went from 210 to 140. No extra skin.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    My highest weight was 220 my lowest weight 141. I've had no skin loose skin issues save for my abs as a result of carrying a baby to full term.
    5'7" and went from 210 to 140. No extra skin.

This is interesting since your stats are somewhat close to mine (202.5 to 147) but our results seem very different. I think it really speaks to the genetic aspect of this. I've continue to hold out hope, thinking that I just need to keep losing more fat but I am swiftly coming to the realization that this may not be the case. Lucky me.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    211 down to 133 currently. I do have a little bit of extra tummy skin, BUT, I just had a baby 15 months ago (got pregnant after losing 57 lbs, and I'm down 79 currently from SW), so there's that. I'm actually very okay with it. Honestly, I'd rather have a bit of extra skin than to have those pounds back.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you should worry about it because what is done is done and you cannot fix it at this point. I do have skin issues. I've gone from 202.5 to the high 140s. The following things affect your final "this is it" point with your skin:

- genetics
    - how long your were big

People will tell you to lose weight slowly or use cocoa butter or lift weights to avoid loose skin but, ultimately, those will not affect whether or not your skin shrinks back. Losing weight slowly helps minimize the chance of your fat loss outpacing your skin's shrinkage rate. Cocoa butter gives you soft skin but doesn't help it shrink. Lifting weights help you to be strong and fit and look good plus gives you something to obsess over rather than the state of your skin. But none of them will actually make your skin shrink up more or faster.

Thanks, and congratulations on your weight loss, jemhh;36153742. How long did it take for you to get there? I'm 5'7, 44yo. I have been overweight for many years, actually 18, starting from my second pregnancy. But fluctuated up and down for the most part of it, with the overall "up" tendency, hehe. I started in mid February, for health reasons, actually. So far I'm happy with my progress, but loads more to go.
  • icemom011
    Options
    HW 360, CW 200-210 ish (haven't used my scale in 5 weeks so I'm not really sure but its around there.) gw is 130ish.

I have had a baby I should start by saying also I was much larger than you. I do have lose skin. Most of it when I hit my correct weight will pull up but I will always have an over hang and lose skin on my arms and thighs. It doesn't bother me because I am so much healthier than before. When the time comes I will likely have my skin tucked if it bothers me that much then.

Wow, that's awesome ,ashleyjongepier. What doyou mean, skin will pull up when you hit your correct weight? Did you meant to say will be pulled up surgically? Was hoping to avoid that, plus i imagine it's expensive. Ugghh. Still, good for you, keep it up. Good luck.
  • icemom011
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    211 down to 133 currently. I do have a little bit of extra tummy skin, BUT, I just had a baby 15 months ago (got pregnant after losing 57 lbs, and I'm down 79 currently from SW), so there's that. I'm actually very okay with it. Honestly, I'd rather have a bit of extra skin than to have those pounds back.

Agreed (grudgingly ). But still...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »

- genetics
    - how long your were big

Thanks, and congratulations on your weight loss, jemhh;36153742. How long did it take for you to get there? I'm 5'7, 44yo. I have been overweight for many years, actually 18, starting from my second pregnancy. But fluctuated up and down for the most part of it, with the overall "up" tendency, hehe. I started in mid February, for health reasons, actually. So far I'm happy with my progress, but loads more to go.

I lost the initial 52 pounds between January and December of 2014. Last year I mainly maintained between 148 and 152.5. Over the holidays I went up to 159 and then was back to 148 by the end of February of this year. Keep at it and you'll do fine. You may have ups and downs along the way but the long term downward trend is what matters most.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55 lbs ... and yes, I've got some skin issues.

Apparently my skin could tighten up in a couple years. It has been about 6 months since I reached 55 lbs lost ... so maybe another 18 months to go?

We'll see.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have lost more than 100lbs. Yes, I have skin issues. Would I rather be obese than have extra skin? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, no.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost 36 pounds with no loose skin. In fact, the dimpled skin under my arms has gone away. I am losing weight slowly, while exercising and strength training. I'm 49. I have 20-30 pounds to go.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hi. We have similar stats. I started at 222, currently 185, goal 160. Yes I have saggy skin on my breasts. It's like they have deflated. While I'm happy they are going away (weird for a woman to say this but I've always hated my big boobs), I am saddened by them just...I don't know how to explain it....just deflated. Saggy now. Not in any way saying this will happen to you. Just my experience. I have notice no other saggy skin.
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 85 lbs. since 2012 (detailed weight loss story in my profile if you're curious.) I've been running for a year and a half and started strength training about 8 weeks ago.

I just noticed this morning that the loose skin and fat on my stomach seems to look better. It's still not perfect, but there's improvement. I've also noticed that the loose skin on my neck isn't as bad as it was. I'm not sure if it's because I switched moisturizers a few weeks ago or because I'm working those muscles by virtue of keeping my head steady during ab work and inverted rows, but the wrinkles that were there are much less pronounced than they were.

At 46 I'd pretty much resigned myself to loose, saggy skin after significant loss, but now I'm hopeful that it won't be AS bad as I've imagined.