ideas to cut back on bread

Options
2»

Replies

• markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i love ezekiel sesame bread and a home-made sourdough bread. both delish!
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nature travels with its is own carrying case!! So many veggies & fruits can be hollowed & packed with yummy ingredients! Try stuffing bell peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, avocados, any kind of gourd, or squash blossom etc
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I started using lettuce and cabbage wraps for burgers, and particularly with salmon burgers, it really enhances the taste of the burger. I don't really feel I am missing anything anymore not having a bun because it tastes so much better without it.

I don't eat as much bread as I used to, but when I do, it is not the cheapest items calorically most of the time. Like I love torta rolls from Costco. I make open faced toasted turkey sandwiches with them. The rolls alone are 240 calories. I also like pita bread I make, but each one is around 150-200 calories depending on size. I make sunflower seed based rugbrod. I don't know the calorie count, but it ain't cheap, so eat one or two slices on the weekend.

If you have access to Franz brand breads, their 100 calorie multigrain English muffins are VERY GOOD. Way better than Thomas's by far. I use those for my egg white mcmuffins in the morning. Good protein, high fiber, low cal, tastes good, hits all the marks for me.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Haven't tried the Aunt Millie's, but the Schmidt I posted above is not dry at all and the slices are actually pretty thick. I've also gotten the Arnold Nature's Harvest Light Multigrain bread, and those have thin slices and can *sometimes* be dry, but not terribly so. I only switched because my store has a hard time stocking the Arnold all the time and I just happened to notice the Schmidt. Well, I think I'm officially switching to it because I really like it and I'm very pleased with the flavor and moistness.
    Very good... I'll have to look for those brands locally!

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love bread.. like its an issue. My favorite food besides good mexican food is honestly a fresh baguette with butter and salt. I make ciabatta, sourdough, baguettes everyweek. Regular ol sandwhich bread i could care less about... i dont eat loads of it all day so il do lettuce wraps and salads.. but man i love and eat bread.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cave_Goose wrote: »
    There is low calorie bread out there. The slices are thinner than a traditional loaf. Makes for a nice sandwich.

Hy-vee has a nice store brand bread that is only 80 calories for two slices. It does seem a little thinner but it's not really noticeable. I like to put it in the toaster before making a sandwich. I can make a really good turkey sandwich with this bread, mustard and lettuce and it's only about 200 calories.

I too buy bread that is 40 calories per slice, 80 calories for 2 slices is great! The brand is Nature's harvest.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sandwich Thins are another good option.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I buy 40 calorie bread. I'm not cutting back on bread or anything, just more about the calories.

I get this stuff
    647-product-img1.png

Works great for sandwiches.

where do you get this?
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Use lettuce wraps more often and only buy a high quality bread when you really are hankering for bread. Like your favorite type of bread once a week as a meal or a snack.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    I buy 40 calorie bread. I'm not cutting back on bread or anything, just more about the calories.

I get this stuff
    647-product-img1.png

Works great for sandwiches.

where do you get this?

looking on the website and the bread isnt available anywhere near me
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »

Daaaaaaaamn! That's awesome! Thanks for sharing that link! :)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I default to preparing and eating my food in a bowl. Pretty much anything can go in one, and you don't need any bread to hold your food together. Plus, it's less messy.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Lot of great suggestions above.

If you're eating white bread, it's a good idea to switch to whole grain - a lower glycemic index, so it stays with you a tad bit longer and doesn't spike blood sugar as much.

Open-faced sandwiches. :)

In addition to standard bread, there are wraps like Damascus Bakeries and Tumaro's. They're a little fragile, but you can roll up a sandwich's worth of fillings in 80 calories.

If your office has a 'wave, when you make stews and such for dinner, store single servings in the freezer. Pull one out the night before, and there you are.

We used to have a big staff at work and still have a big fridge, so I'll sometimes bring in a rotisserie chicken and slice off a bit each day for lunch, 2 to 3 oz at a meal (I keep a scale in the office kitchen, too). (most of the breast may go home for supper sandwiches for 3 of us.) Sometimes as a sandwich, sometimes just on the plate, sometimes appetizer-style on slices of cucumber or Mary's Gone Crackers. (Which aren't my favorite, but I bought this box at Costco ... and they're not bad, just not a treat.)