Any Ladies who started at or are around 230 lbs.?

Options

Replies

• havalynd
    havalynd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started at about 225 at my heaviest, and I did nothing to change my routine but instead watched my dietary intake. I didn't realize just *how* many calories I was taking in to not only maintain my weight but keep gaining. So I just capped it at 12-1400 calories, give or take depending on my day. I walked for a minimum of 30 minutes a day, but I also really love walking so some days I'll go to the mall/ etc where I end up walking for a few hours at a time. (Those days I allot myself more calories if I need them.) I've lost roughly 20 lbs in the last few months just doing this, but I've gotten stuck at about 205. My goals are to drink about 2L of water a day and get in as much walking as I can, but I'm looking to find a few exercises to incorporate into my day.

I've been doing this entirely on my own and so I've kind of been fumbling through it, so if anyone has some simple exercises or a recommendation - I'd be really grateful.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I started AT 230 lbs :D 119 lbs now (5'4").

Depends on what I'm doing. I was hit by a car while doing a 100-mile bike ride for charity and I still can't bike or swim so I've been slowly building myself back up with Spin and BodyPump at the gym and I've slowly increased my running speed and mileage and I'm doing Disney in January (5K Thurs, 10K Fri, HM Sat, marathon Sunday) and I've gotten really into running since I can't do the other two (I'm a triathlete) but I also like Zumba, TurboKick, etc., I just can't do it right now because it hurts to bounce. I just upped my mileage last week so I'm taking 1-2 weeks off spin before I retake them. I was doing 3 BodyPump, 3-4 spins, and running 10 miles a week. Now I'm running 20+ miles a week and 3 BodyPump and I just did a Pilates and will do a Yoga after my long run Sunday. Plan to settle until January into the 20-40 miles a week running, 2-4 spins, 3 BodyPump, 1 Pilates, and 1 Yoga.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Started somewhere between 235-240, down around 170 right now, and planning to end up somewhere around 145-150.

I haven't had access to a gym for the majority of my weight loss, and honestly, I haven't felt like I needed one.

I own some free weights and I'll use them to do different videos by youtube channels like Xhit, or for workouts like Jillian Michaels 30DS.

I'm not sure if you're looking for workouts we did at the beginning of our weight loss or...?

I didn't really do much exercise other than increasing my walking until I was in around/under 200lbs. At that point I did 30DS, Zumba (both videos and with a friend at a local place), and bought 3, 5, and 10lb weights to use for different routines. I also started trying to do some body weight moves like dips, sit-ups/crunches, and push-ups against the wall or coffee table -- but even now, I'd prefer to do a dynamic workout than simple calisthenics.

Around 180 (which is approximately when I joined MFP), I started doing walk/run combinations and huffing and feeling like I would die after about 30 seconds, and now about 6 weeks later I can fairly comfortable run a mile, then I walk/run combo for a while more. I'm also now doing Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs (which is pretty fun), random workouts from just about any of the JM dvds, still doing some zumba as well, and the Xhit videos I mentioned above. I also still try to go for walks, they're great warm ups/cool downs and help me to stretch out my muscles if I'm sore the day after. I like my variety; it helps to keep me from getting bored.

When I get closer to my goal weight, and as we head into winter, I'm starting to consider getting a gym membership. While I can't "lift heavy" for medical reasons, I'd still like to start using weights heavier than what I have at home and since I hate treadmills with a passion, I'd love to find a gym that either had an indoor track or a swimming pool to take up doing laps in.

Really, just find exercise you like and it'll make it so much easier to stick to.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I started at 304 but currently around 220.

I'm not a big fan of long workouts, so I like to distract myself or split my workouts across the day. I do incline walking (on treadmill or outside on an inclined street) every day whenever my back isn't acting up and it burns a whole lot of calories. I basically just zone out while I listen to audio books. I also do some compound dumbbell exercises like lunges/curls and weighted squats, and some body weight like pushups, dips, bridges and attempts on pullups.
  • Tora32
    Tora32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 226 right now, so I'm pretty close. So far, I keep coming back to the same stuff since it's what I enjoy. I do a fair amount of yoga (mostly off youtube or dvds for now, though I have taken classes in the past), and do wii dance, zumba, and treadmill running for my cardio (I don't trust myself enough yet to get outside to be honest, though it's something I'd love to work toward). The dancing/zumba is purely because I love it, and the running is because I like seeing the improvement and, again, I'm hoping to eventually feel comfortable about running outside someday.

I'm still wanting to incorporate more core work since that's always been a weak area for me and will be important when I move up to proper lifting down the road. Knowing me, I'll probably end up replacing some of my yoga with pilates to get that done. I'm also hoping to introduce a bit of basic bodyweight work soon.
  • WildHazel
    WildHazel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just starting at 225lbs. :smile:
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ortizb87 wrote: »
    What is your workout routine? Please help!

SW: 253
    CW: 156.2
    GW: 153 (???)

I go for a walk with my husband, kids, and dog a few times a week. In another month or two, it will be too hot to do that (summers routinely get to 100+ for a few months at a time). I do Convict Conditioning twice a week or so. That's it, really.
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So I have an interesting story.

In 2009 I weighed 235 pound and was 5'4 inches tall. That was the biggest I was in my entire life and I was unemployed. How do you lose weight when you have no money and your mom despises you because you live there rent free? I also lived in a tiny bedroom, had no workout machines, was too afraid to go outside because of my appearance, had asthma but i did have a computer.

On a random October day I came across a show called Biggest Loser and it blew my mind. If these people who weigh in the 300 pound range can lose weight, that's embarrassing to say I can't. It empowered me but I had no money only food stamps. I started doing research on the internet and found MFP which would help me with all the tracking of my calories and workouts. I went to the library and realized that they had everything. My library had all the biggest loser books, dvds, P90X etc... I started on the biggest loser dvds in my tiny room with a pair a 5 pound dumbells, started getting healthy foods with my foods stamps instead of all the garbage I was getting and I tracked everything on MFP. At that time, that was literally the only thing I could do from making myself go crazy.

When spring came around, I already was out of the 200 pound range and had my bike fixed so I could start looking for a job and I landed a perfect one. I started working at Whole Foods Market in June 2010 which was perfect. They have weight loss support programs for their employee's and I got off food stamps my first month working there. I rode my bike to work everyday 7 miles there and 7 miles back except in winter.

It took me 2 years to get down to 135 pounds. I had a lot of pitfalls but I still kept persevering because I thought of those 300 pound people on the biggest loser and I worked at the healthiest grocery store who supported my goals which helped. This was the best time in my life. My weight loss resulted in me getting off food stamps and getting my own apartment.

Now I am starting over again. Life took a turn for the worse for me when I was skinny. I started hanging out with the wrong people, forgot about my diet and workouts, lost my job etc... and all the weight i lost came back
    within 2 years. I really don't wanna talk about what led me back here again but it is what it is. The thing I want you to know is that it is not impossible, it takes dedication, hard work, and reading. You can do it. I am doing it again myself and I know I am going to do it because I have already experienced it. You have no idea how rewarding it is when you reach your goal. You basically turn into the princess at the ball and you feel strong, invincible, empowered. Your not tired anymore and the world looks more colorful. And you make your sisters jealous. lol. That's why I wanna do it all over again. Hope this helps give you some inspiration.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Started at 255, currently 229. I do cardio 6 days a week for 50-60 minutes a day. Lots of walking, some jogging (working on c25k right now), and sometimes the elliptical. Trying to incorporate strength training too, but I really can't stand doing that, so that's 1-2x a week at best.
  • Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I started at 241. I do 15-20 mins of cardio 4-5 times per week at the gym. I do the cardio first to warm up, I switch out elliptical/bike/elliptical/arc trainer. Then I lift. I do arms/back on one day, legs the next, then abs the next. I do low reps with heavy weight to burn fat. The way I see it is, it doesn't matter how firm I get my abs if there is a thick layer of fat over them hiding them, right? I also follow nerdfitness.com, but only for the workout advice (they do Paleo and I dont, so I don't follow the eating part of their plan.)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    5'7", started at 231, currently 173. I walk 3-5days a week for an hour+, and i lift weights at home 3x a week. The weight has come off nicely, but when i started back with the weights is when the inches really started moving. I also go for a good hike once in a while.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    SW 224 lbs in feb 2014
    GW 137 reached in December 2015
    CW 135

First 40 lbs my only activity was walking, I then joined a gym in September 2014 and fell in love with lifting. I now lift 3-5 times a week.
  • CorinneEdwards2
    CorinneEdwards2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP today and have been reading like crazy and loving all the stories out there. I gained 75+ over past few years and am wanting desperately to drop as many as possible in 4 months before my daughter's wedding and of course learn to make it a life style..... Anyone out there looking for a partner to track progress with, discuss exercise, eating plans, etc with??? I know any support/inspiration can be a very useful tool to achieving goals and would welcome advise/discussions...etc.
  • JReed2205
    JReed2205 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    pbprincess wrote: »
    5'7", started at 231, currently 173. I walk 3-5days a week for an hour+, and i lift weights at home 3x a week. The weight has come off nicely, but when i started back with the weights is when the inches really started moving. I also go for a good hike once in a while.

When you say lift weights what are you referring to??? Sorry very new to all of this... thank you
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm at 190#. Is that close enough to be a weight loss buddy?
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    JReed2205 wrote: »
    pbprincess wrote: »

When you say lift weights what are you referring to??? Sorry very new to all of this... thank you

I just have a barbell and hand weights at home. I started out with just the bar and have added weight to that. They have loads more equipment at the gym, but i have a job and 3 kids, so it's easier to do it at home.

If it's something you're interested, there's an app called stronglifts 5x5. It shows you the proper way to do lifts and puts you on a course to progressively lift more and more. Weightlifting will not make you bulky or super muscular, but it will make you stronger and help to lose fat and preserve the muscles you do have.

There are several other weight training programs, that one was reccomended to me and it's worked well.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey i started at 217 ! Down to 188 now and my main focus has been eating smaller portions and eating healthy. Goal was and still is to loose 2lbs per week. I work in a gym so I pretty much workout everyday but, sometimes i do skip sundays. I also allow myself to have a treat or one of my fav meals that may not be so healthy, my weakness is pasta ! LOL. Ive been working at strength training because since ive lost 27 pounds my skin is becoming a bit "saggy" so strength training is helping to tone everything up. I make sure my workouts do not consist of working one muscle group at a time. Workouts that target more then one muscle group at a time are way more effective and you will achieve those results faster and better :)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I started between 230 and 240. I weigh 170-185, depending on what I'm focusing on athletics-wise, and I am not looking to get below 165 at any time. I compete in powerlifting now and dabble in Crossfit competitions as well. Right now I'm doing 4-5 sessions of lifting per week plus 3-4 Crossfit metabolic conditioning workouts, and 1-2 yoga classes and sometimes a hike once per week. I got so into it that now I coach others.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I started at 220. It's hard to move a big body around. I started with Pilates and walking. Pilates has always been WONDERFUL for me. When I can't do anything else...I can do Pilates. I had to modify a lot but I got it done and I started to feel stronger.

As for the walking, again, that's something I've always been able to do, even when very heavy.

When I got down to about 210 I started a Jillian Michaels tape. That one has a bit more jumping around and so on, but the focus is more on the muscular. I HATE actual "aerobics" with all the bouncing around and the reverse grapevine with three legs up in doubletime stuff. Not for me. Jillian (it's the 6 Week 6 Pack DVD) is a good crossover for me that way.

I am 192 right now.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started at 232 and am now 204 at 5'3. I do Zumba, just completed C25K, I get on the elliptical, find fun YouTube fitness videos, and walk. Really, like someone else said, I just try to move and be active every single day. I do it more for the mood lift than anything else.