Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is it okay if I "binge" my calories at night before bed?

12346»

Replies

• Best not to. I used to have the same problem as you but i now exercise at night and hop off to bed to distract myself... :laugh: you can do it! Once you get into the habit of not eating after 7pm it becomes soo easy!
    Why not after 7pm? Personally for years and years, I've eaten up to 11pm every night. The reason why the 7pm myth came about is because people reached their daily calorie goal by that time and then anything after was excess. If one is within calorie limits, there is no magical time that you have to not eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It stops me from eating out of being bored/binging. For me it adds on calories that arent being burned off sitting at home.....I guess its just how I like to do things but each to his own, right? :happy:
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    edited April 2016
    DavPul wrote: »
    That's nice. There is still a huge difference between taking in a bunch of calories from junk food and from healthier choices. It is a lifestyle change ;). Also, you adding all your lovely titles just makes me laugh, but good for you. =]

But what if she didn't sign up for the Lifestyle Change? I only signed up for the Lose Weight and Look Hot package. So I eat whatever I want whenever I want and continue to improve my physique and vitals. The Lifestyle Change package required too much commitment, offered too little fun, and the people all seemed kinda preachy.

This is all levels of fantastic.
  • ahumanpug
    ahumanpug Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2016

[smiling at the thought of a majestic, fat fairy]
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    I personally think that the worst part about this would be the fact that you are not learning how to eat properly. You're doing good during the day then gorging yourself at night with junk (even if it meets the calories). There is a huge difference healthy snacks will do to your body compared to the junky ones, even if you are under your calorie goal and you may lose the weight now, but in the future you may revert back into old habits. Eating junk food is fine, but moderation is key. Good luck.
    80/20 rule applies here. If one takes in the correct amount of macro/micro nutrients needed in a day and still has calories left over, it really doesn't matter what you eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's nice. There is still a huge difference between taking in a bunch of calories from junk food and from healthier choices. It is a lifestyle change ;). Also, you adding all your lovely titles just makes me laugh, but good for you. =]

It depends. If eating the "junk food" causes you to regularly miss your daily requirements of vitamins or minerals, then yes, it makes a difference. If you're already meeting your nutritional needs - there's no real difference at all. You get no bonus points for going over on micronutrients, you typically just pee out the rest. And the cases where you don't pee out the rest, you can actually harm yourself by either a surplus or a deficit of the vitamin.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    It's not good to eat before bed if you have GERD or something of the sort. It has nothing to do with weight loss as far as I'm aware.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    The bottom line is this is supposed to be a sustainable lifestyle change. If you enjoy eating at night it's not likely to change. It's possible, but not extremely likely. So eat at night. Save calories to do so. Just as you are now.

I enjoy eating at night. Always have. Always will most likely. So I eat 75% of my calories at night. I'm not going to change that either. I've lost 41 pounds in 3 months so it must not be turning to fat as I sleep, lol.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    If this is what's working for you, then great! I'm on 1200 calories, and am someone who is most satisfied when I get to eat big, rich meals, which you can't really do when you're splitting 1200 calories across 3 meals throughout the day. Since I started my new job I've found that I'm most satisfied when I go the day (usually 9am - 3pm) just having a coffee, then eat a big meal at 4ish when I get home. Getting to eat over 1000 calories in one meal makes me feel happy and satisfied, and I usually don't need to eat again that day (I might have a snack before bed if I get a workout in). And I've found that I rarely get uncomfortably hungry through the day any more now I've adjusted to this eating pattern. I know it seems weird to my coworkers and friends, but I've found something that is sustainable for me and makes me happy so who cares? Plus I've lost 3kg since I started in February (only had 10 to lose overall) B)