I'm just going to leave this here

When I came on this forum, many of you preached to me "a calorie is just a calorie" leading to self laothing, destruction, binging, unhappiness because no matter how hard I tried I couldnt combine the dopamine inducing junk food with healthy food, and I'll just leave this link here for any others sturggling
http://news.health.com/2013/02/07/why-calorie-counts-are-wrong-6-diet-myths-busted/

Replies

• itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    If you were to take those points into consideration where would you even begin?! You have a budget, spend it how you like.
    For my own well being a calorie= a calorie is just fine for me. I eat as well as I can and am seeing steady results. Good luck with your amended plan.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Cynthia Sass has a diet book to sell that promises fast weight loss without counting calories.
    a fast way to failure

Yes. And she doesn't want people to just count calories because then she couldn't sell her diet plan. Just like all the other diet book authors.

Ah the ad hominem fallacy yet again. She's selling a book so anything she says can be ignored on that basis alone.

I wish people would make an attempt to stick to the evidence. I would be interested in a thoughtful critique of the points instead of a blanket statement that does no one any good.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Cynthia Sass has a diet book to sell that promises fast weight loss without counting calories.

ETA: That means she is biased and not a good source of information.

So anyone who has a book out is by definition not a good source of information EVER, because they are "biased".....

Proof please?

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    For the most part I stay away from junk food myself. I prefer food I make myself or buy at a good restaurant. That doesn't mean I don't do junk food at times, in moderation.
    Everyone needs to find what works for them. No particular food is inherently evil and what works for me may not work for someone else. I haven't seen anyone here say you must eat junk food. I think that sometimes get missed when people actually say junk food isn't a bad thing. When people talk about what they really eat what is considered "junk food" or "sweets" is almost always a minor percentage of their total intake, but one they allow for.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, no.

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    baby05phat wrote: »
    When I came on this forum, many of you preached to me "a calorie is just a calorie" leading to self laothing, destruction, binging, unhappiness because no matter how hard I tried I couldnt combine the dopamine inducing junk food with healthy food, and I'll just leave this link here for any others sturggling
    http://news.health.com/2013/02/07/why-calorie-counts-are-wrong-6-diet-myths-busted/

How long did you try? Been here since July. Still having issues with moderating high calorie foods. It has gotten much better but still learning. I suspect I may be learning this forever.and will have to adjust constantly.

If I don't count calories I eat too much 99% of the time. I don't know if it's greed or what, I just know counting is an easy tool that keeps me accountable and honest with myself for how much I have consumed or not.

I read some of Cynthia's book descriptions. I don't believe that certain foods will allow me to eat more calories than my losing goal and still lose.

In general I prefer to read diet books by dieticians, doctors and memoirs of people who have lost a lot of weight. I could become a nutritionist easily through online courses. Wouldn't be qualified after that to write books about it.