Depression and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing lately?

hey, gem. I'm hanging in there, thanks. I've weaned off meds now, and finally got my insurance company to lower my copay for effexor from 200 to 70/mo. in the meantime, i was so frustratingly angry with the process that i can't get myself to take it. i had throughly convinced myself to "screw it" and just try again to live without any meds. am i being passive aggressive with myself? haha! i'll probably start taking it soon..... i've just tried so many in the past 9 months that i've lost faith that anything will work. if that makes any sense.
    now i'm rambling. hope YOU are doing ok too and that acupuncture has continued to help you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    new medicines are working
    body is unhappy but I can deal with that now that i feel less sad
    I also feel like I'm having feellings but not that they are controlling me. which is nice
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    new medicines are working
    body is unhappy but I can deal with that now that i feel less sad
    I also feel like I'm having feellings but not that they are controlling me. which is nice

Feeling in control is so important, I'm glad you're there. I also feel in control today. I'm in my second 16hr work day, home late with very little sleep, and it's my TOM. But I'm nearly 6 weeks off my medication and finally have been feeling more normal. At least my emotions don't run away with my self control and ruin my whole day anymore. I honestly felt more depressed on my medication because it seemed like "well crap if I'm taking all these medicines and nothing has helped then it's just me- I suck thoroughly!"

I have the feelings, they're there. But with more mindful living and positive thinking I'm getting there.
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    68myra wrote: »
    How's everyone doing lately?

hey, gem. I'm hanging in there, thanks. I've weaned off meds now, and finally got my insurance company to lower my copay for effexor from 200 to 70/mo. in the meantime, i was so frustratingly angry with the process that i can't get myself to take it. i had throughly convinced myself to "screw it" and just try again to live without any meds. am i being passive aggressive with myself? haha! i'll probably start taking it soon..... i've just tried so many in the past 9 months that i've lost faith that anything will work. if that makes any sense.
    now i'm rambling. hope YOU are doing ok too and that acupuncture has continued to help you.

Ah weaning off of meds and figuring out the right combo can be hard. I hope you can work out which medication and dose will work best for your emotions and body.

I've been going to acupuncture three times a week as I tried to go only twice a week and I noticed a difference. Thanks for remembering :)
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had a great night with my friends today and also realized that this past week has been the best week I've had since last summer depression wise. So I'm positively looking forward to this upcoming week!

I hope you all are well and had a positive weekend.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a bit better, the weather is finally getting nice here which helps a ton, lots of sunshine! also finally started doing stronglifts and really enjoying going to the gym again and actually working towards something. however I'm thinking about talking to my doctor about changing my meds next time I see her which is extremely nerve wracking since the seroquel works pretty well for me. if only I wasn't in a relationship so that my lack of a sex drive wasn't an issue. sigh.
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi Tribe,
    I have been in the wilderness of weight gain and a mild depression and avoided dealing with the things that were bothering me.
    Today, I got up at 5 am to start a new day and change my trajectory. It's really about the choices we make and don't make. More to come after my run!!! It feels good to be back.
    Shel
  • 68myra
    Options
    Hi Tribe,
    I have been in the wilderness of weight gain and a mild depression and avoided dealing with the things that were bothering me.
    Today, I got up at 5 am to start a new day and change my trajectory. It's really about the choices we make and don't make. More to come after my run!!! It feels good to be back.
    Shel

YAY! welcome back! we have missed you!
  • 68myra
    Options
    I'm feeling a bit better, the weather is finally getting nice here which helps a ton, lots of sunshine! also finally started doing stronglifts and really enjoying going to the gym again and actually working towards something. however I'm thinking about talking to my doctor about changing my meds next time I see her which is extremely nerve wracking since the seroquel works pretty well for me. if only I wasn't in a relationship so that my lack of a sex drive wasn't an issue. sigh.

I'm with you there, sister. I'm back on a drug I gave up on over five years ago because of the sexual side effects. desperate times...... I hope you have an understanding partner.
  • 68myra
    Options
    just waiving hello to you all. trying to make healthy choices here. baby steps in the right direction :)
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    wassup... contemplating switching to lexapro... heard good things about it. anyone else taking it?

im currently on citalopram
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm on 10mg celexa and 75mg bupropion. I better not be gaining weight with a citalopram (I lost 50 pounds).

I'm off of setraline (zoloft) and its keeping me sane. My psychiatrist says depressive patients crave sugar! This was me.
  • raven56706
    Options
    I'm on 10mg celexa and 75mg bupropion. I better not be gaining weight with a citalopram (I lost 50 pounds).

I'm off of setraline (zoloft) and its keeping me sane. My psychiatrist says depressive patients crave sugar! This was me.

im taking 20mg of citalopram and i gained 20lbs since. i cant shake it off
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Since this thread keeps kicking around, I'll bite. Usually, my preiods of depression make it difficult to eat ANYTHING. Some days I have to force feed myself up to 1000 calories just to stay alive. It feels like I have a stomach full of rocks. Thinking of any foods, flavors or textures is a complete turn-off. I try to make swaps like using whole milk, and try to have nibbles throughout the day. Then I have to worry about what happens to my appetite when I come out of it and try to plan for a few maintenance days to get back in sync.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

Are you taking the Seroquel for depression or bipolar? I take Wellbutrin for depression and have no sexual side effects. It being a little speedy works well for me. I did have sexual side effects with Zoloft.
  • raven56706
    Options
    anyone currently on Lexapro?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i was. it made me angry. like the hulk.
    i know other people have found success with it
  • ObsidianMist
    Options
    68myra wrote: »

I'm with you there, sister. I'm back on a drug I gave up on over five years ago because of the sexual side effects. desperate times...... I hope you have an understanding partner.

he..... is not very understanding actually. he makes comments about how long it's been since we last had sex and it really pisses me off but he doesn't seem to care. it actually irritates the *kitten* out of me. and go figure he does it whenever the topic of sex comes up which generally means I was actually thinking about maybe having sex and then he goes and ruins it with a rude comment and doesn't believe that I might actually have been interested for a moment there.
  • ObsidianMist
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Are you taking the Seroquel for depression or bipolar? I take Wellbutrin for depression and have no sexual side effects. It being a little speedy works well for me. I did have sexual side effects with Zoloft.

I have borderline personality disorder and major depressive disorder. I've been on wellbutrin before but it made me insanely shaky and gave me tinnitus and I stayed on it for 11 weeks with no sign of either side effect going away so I went off it. according to the internet, seroquel is one of the worst antipsychotics for sexual side effects. I also believe it's part of the reason for my weight gain so that's another good reason to try something else. I might talk to my doctor about trying a mood stabilizer.
  • 68myra
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I have borderline personality disorder and major depressive disorder. I've been on wellbutrin before but it made me insanely shaky and gave me tinnitus and I stayed on it for 11 weeks with no sign of either side effect going away so I went off it. according to the internet, seroquel is one of the worst antipsychotics for sexual side effects. I also believe it's part of the reason for my weight gain so that's another good reason to try something else. I might talk to my doctor about trying a mood stabilizer.

fyi: i had no sexual side effects with brintellix. it just didn't alieviate my depression enough. might work for you?