Knee Replacement May 24th

Options
Hi, I am a 59 year old with 2 bad knees and a torn Achilles Tendon. I am having a knee replacement (Left) May 24th. I would love some ideas for exercises I can do at home that will help me change my body shape and help me take off the pounds. I will not be able to do much for at least 3 months after the surgery and can barely walk now. Please help!

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Focus on your diet.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    diet will help you lose weight. Look into getting a stationary recumbent bike for at home, you can use it now and you will use it a lot for your knee rehab. you can get them cheap at local thrifts or on craigslist, you dont need anything fancy , just somethign with pedals that turn.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your advice. I wish I could afford a bike or had room for it in our tiny apartment. I will look for something like a recumbent one and find a place to squeeze it in.
  • dcsavop
    dcsavop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had both knees replaced within the last year. I agree with the earlier posts. A stationary recumbent bike will be a great help with the knees. Also start some seated weight lifting. You will need that strength to handle the walker short term. I just used 25lbs free weights and my physical therapist taught me proper form. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck with the replacements.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is an adjustment on your diet. I'm about 6 weeks out from a knee surgery and I lost 5 lbs during the time I was recovering from the surgery.
  • mccarol1956
    Options
    Thank you so very much. I like the idea of the weights. Not sure I could do 25 lb ones but I can sure start smaller and work my way up. I am still looking for a stationary recumbent bike. All your help is so appreciated.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Focus on diet. See if you can get with a physical therapist before surgery to see if you can do anything before to help you get stronger to recover faster. Also discuss what you can do post surgery.

Best of luck.
  • mccarol1956
    Options
    Thank you so much Packerjohn. I have a book of exercises that I was given to do pre and post surgery for just that. I have not learned yet who my PT will be and since I only get so many sessions a year I really want to save it