Hashimotos disease and lost!

Options
I was just disgnosed with Hashimotos disease! Ive been given a slew of supplements to take and was told to eat gluten free! Sounds simple enough right? No! I havent a clue! What can i eat. What has gluten? What does this all mean? I know what ive read but really hoping anyone with experience can give pointers on doing this and losing weight all in one! Thanks in advanced.....

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    who told you to go gluten free? also why a slew of supplements? gluten free is usually for those who have celiac s disease or other issues with gluten(and bowel/stomach/intestine issues).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    marlenadew wrote: »
    I was just disgnosed with Hashimotos disease! Ive been given a slew of supplements to take and was told to eat gluten free! Sounds simple enough right? No! I havent a clue! What can i eat. What has gluten? What does this all mean? I know what ive read but really hoping anyone with experience can give pointers on doing this and losing weight all in one! Thanks in advanced.....

First, if you were told anythign by a person who is not an endocrinologist, you can consider all the advice you were given complete nonsense. Hashimoto's is a very common illness, which means that while treatment is simple, there are also a ton of magical cures and myths that supposedly will make things better. None of it works.
    So, first, Hashimoto's cannot be cured. If you are hypothyroid, which an endocrinologist and no one else can verify, you need levothyroxine, daily, every morning, on an empty stomach. Your dose will take a few months at least to adjust, so during the first year or two you will need several tests and dr appointments. After this, it will be testing once a year or so, with gradual increase of your meds for the rest of your life. Sometimes you will need no adjustment for e.g. 10 years, other times it will be more frequent.
    If you have elevated antibodies and only elevated TSH, you still have Hashimoto's, but are not yet hypothyroid. The usual course of action is to take meds in hopes of delaying the illness, not developing a goiter and avoiding future surgery.
    Being diagnosed with one autoimmune disorder means you are at increased risk for also having others. If you also have a confirmed diagnosis for Celiac's, then you need to be gluten free. If not, gluten is irrelevant. Your endocrinologist will let you know.
    With Hashimoto there is no reason to take supplements. If you were prescribed supplements by an endocrinologist, then either these are for unrelated conditions diagnosed at the same time, or you have some other autoimmune disorder accompanying Hashimoto's, e.g. something like autoimmune gastritis causing vitamin deficiencies, or pernicious anemia causing low iron etc.

• Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Wheat, barley & rye all contain gluten, stear clear of things with those in it. My friend has hashimotos & she went gf & feels so much better.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    what aggelikik said.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You do not need to see an endocrinologist. Most people with hypothyrodism/Hashimoto's are initially diagnosed and treated by their primary care provider. If you're having difficulty keeping your thyroid levels in a good range then at that point you do need to see an endocrinologist.

What tests were done?

What were your numbers?

What supplements were you prescribed?

Were you put on a thyroid hormone replacement medication (Levothyroxine, Synthroid, Armour, etc.)?

Why does your medical provider believe you need to go gluten free right off the bat? It's true there is some correlation between Hashimoto's and Celiac disease, but many people with Hashimoto's do just fine with gluten in their diet.

The fact that you were told to take supplements makes me guess you saw some sort of naturopath? I'm not against that, but with an auto-immune disease I'd also want to get advice from a "normal" doctor.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    You do not need to see an endocrinologist. Most people with hypothyrodism/Hashimoto's are initially diagnosed and treated by their primary care provider. If you're having difficulty keeping your thyroid levels in a good range then at that point you do need to see an endocrinologist.

What tests were done?

What were your numbers?

Were you put on a thyroid hormone replacement medication (Levothyroxine, Synthroid, Armour, etc.)?

Why does your medical provider believe you need to go gluten free right off the bat? It's true there is some correlation between Hashimoto's and Celiac disease, but many people with Hashimoto's do just fine with gluten in their diet.

The fact that you were told to take supplements makes me guess you saw some sort of naturopath? I'm not against that, but with an auto-immune disease I'd also want to get advice from a "normal" doctor.

OP if you did see a naturopath, please keep in mind that when you have autoimmune disorders, herb and supplement that are in general safe might not be safe for you. And unfortunately not everyone who appears confident and gives advice is also trustworthy :( For example, something as simple and commonly used as echinacea, is not safe when you have Hashimoto's.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's also and was told to stay away from gluten from my endocrinologist and prescribed Synthroid but not supplements. The transition to gluten free was easy for me as I don't eat grains or wheat. Take a look at this http://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/gluten-food-list#WhattoEat4 it gives a pretty good list of what you can eat. Good luck!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    who told you to go gluten free? also why a slew of supplements? gluten free is usually for those who have celiac s disease or other issues with gluten(and bowel/stomach/intestine issues).

I'm assuming that by Supplements she probably means Hormones. Also, there are numerous studies linking celiac/gluten intolerance to Hashimoto's, so it is fairly common to prescribe a GF diet in Hashimoto's patients.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »

What tests were done?

What were your numbers?

I disagree! my daughter was diagnosed with hypothyroidism by her primary care dr, and she went to one endo who said she was insulin resistant without doing any tests(she had acanthosis nigricans .),they told her to go on a low carb diet. nothing happened and that dr was a rude biotch so we changed. we found another one and ALL her tests have come back normal, she has no insulin resistance,she has no thryoid issues,her antibodies are good.her acanthosis nigricans has also cleared up and she is not on any diet and has not lost much weight. so I would say that an endo needs to be seen in these situations because they can do extensive testing that a PCD will not do. and tests can be wrong as well
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's, take synthroid, and was recommended by my endo to go gluten free.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. I take thyroid meds every day. In the past year I'd been seeing a health coach and she suggested a GF diet. I tried it and can only say that I felt better in my belly (no bloating, constipation) like I had been having for years. I haven't yet found the magical cure to make me full of energy, I still experience feeling tired (my biggest complaint). My levels are fine so I just live with it.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I have Hashimoto's. I take thyroid meds every day. In the past year I'd been seeing a health coach and she suggested a GF diet. I tried it and can only say that I felt better in my belly (no bloating, constipation) like I had been having for years. I haven't yet found the magical cure to make me full of energy, I still experience feeling tired (my biggest complaint). My levels are fine so I just live with it.

Does your dr know you are feeling tired? My dr always considers how I feel along with the tests, and always tells me that what might be normal for one person could make someone else have symptoms.