Sweet Potatoes

Options

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Roasted with olive oil and salt, or steamed with a little butter and heavy cream (yes, heavy cream, just a tablespoon or two, the potatoes release a surprising amount of liquid on their own!), mash, and stir in some chopped fresh sage for either method - the sage is a nice compliment. The smoked paprika someone else mentioned is also awesome in the roasting process.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Oven baked with some smoked paprika....*slobber*

I LOVE yams -- with butter and brown sugar. I've cut back on the butter and brown sugar tons in the last couple of months. I would be willing to try paprika! So, that's all you use is just the paprika? Are you all talking the white/yellow flesh sweet potatoes, or the orange fleshed yams? I only eat the yams and wonder how paprika would be on that?
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Dice them, dice some apples, a drained can of black beans, some bacon. In a skillet with some olive oil....

Thank me later.

Apples in the skillet also? Hmmmnnn....sounds interesting. I might try it.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I have started to put 2 tablespoons of melted peanut butter on top of mine with maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon. Mmm.
  • Melanie9072016
    Melanie9072016 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've definitely got to give these ideas a try. Thank you
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had a super tasty salad the other day with roasted sweet potatoes, roasted onion and currants on a bed of spinach. A little squeezed orange for dressing, it was so good! The next day I swapped the currants for roasted poblano peppers and added some corn and cilantro, and it was a new kinda super good!
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Roasted with olive oil and salt, or steamed with a little butter and heavy cream (yes, heavy cream, just a tablespoon or two, the potatoes release a surprising amount of liquid on their own!), mash, and stir in some chopped fresh sage for either method - the sage is a nice compliment. The smoked paprika someone else mentioned is also awesome in the roasting process.

Yes roasting is ab fab!
  • Melanie9072016
    Options

I LOVE yams -- with butter and brown sugar. I've cut back on the butter and brown sugar tons in the last couple of months. I would be willing to try paprika! So, that's all you use is just the paprika? Are you all talking the white/yellow flesh sweet potatoes, or the orange fleshed yams? I only eat the yams and wonder how paprika would be on that?

You can let me know! haha
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    bigme3505 wrote: »
    This might sound odd, but ever since I was kid I have enjoyed them raw. Just peel them and cut them up. They're crunchy.

I don't think I'm brave enough for that.
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    My wife and I cut one in half for dinner sometimes and you guessed it....it has half the calories. That leaves room for the butter!

BONUS!
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Dice them, dice some apples, a drained can of black beans, some bacon. In a skillet with some olive oil....

Thank me later.

Haha...
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    They are a staple in my diet. Brown rice, no so much!

Any great Brown Rice recipes??
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    I pan roast mine with cinnamon, salt, black pepper, paprika, and a little cayenne pepper. Yum.

My fav is similar -- baked, with cinnamon, ground chipotle, and a little fat of some kind (butter, Melt coconut oil-based spread, or olive oil). If I were pan-roasting, I think I'd try a squirt of lime juice with those spices.

Lime juice... cool idea
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    They're awesome with hot sauce and a poached egg.
    Also, Carolina pulled pork (vinegary and spicy).

Otherwise, I like them roasted with plenty of salt. I can't stand the sweet preparations.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I cook them in the microwave and also split one with my husband. Yams (more orange color in the inside that the regular yams) are very sweet and don't need additional seasoning. Sometimes I peel them and roast them in the oven, like sweet potatoes fries. Very tasty.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I didn't care for them for a long time either, just recently changed my mind too. I like them with a fried egg on top to take away some of the sweetness.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Technically they are all sweet potatoes. Most of what's sold in the US as yams in some areas of the country (they tend to be called sweet potatoes here) are really sweet potatoes. Yams are different and uncommon in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yam_(vegetable)

I eat both kind of sweet potatoes, but the orange ones more often.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    My hubby does mine on the bbq like a baked potato, but when it's done, he drizzles honey and sea salt and a touch of pepper..SUPER YUMMY! When I do mine, I'm a little less fun, I just use butter and salt. But I'm like you, I have no idea how I made it to 46 without eating them, I now consume at least 5 a week MYSELF!!
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/sweetpotato.html
    more info on Sweet potatoes than you probably want but it is interesting
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I like to buy the sweet potatoes wrapped in plastic. They look like this:

microwave-ready_sweet_potatoes_front_only.jpg

Anyways, you keep them in the wrapper and microwave for 8-10 minutes. The great thing about this is they steam themselves. I've had better tasting sweet potato in this format than the really-long bake time.

I'm a simple salt, pepper, and a lil butter type. ;)