Newbie bike rider

Options
leannraya
leannraya Posts: 95 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
My husband and I just purchased our first bikes today! I got a beautiful Diamond Back and he got a Schwinn. We had a really rough time staying on them for more than a few blocks because our butts hurt so bad. We actually walked with our bikes the last 4 blocks home. I know this is expected, but is it something we will get used to? Please don't tell me it will always hurt this bad LOL. We bought seat cushions from amazon which had great reviews, but I'm scared to injure myself and be too sore to ride regularly.

We are just starting out so we're just riding around our neighborhood for now, but we would love to work up to going to a state park or something similar with a trail. Any advice is welcome!

Replies

• JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Your butt will get used to the saddle. Just try going a little further every time you ride.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree, you will get used to it as you ride for longer periods of time. On another note, if you ride hard enough your legs will hurt bad enough you won't notice the butt pain! :smiley:
  • orange_hoodie
    orange_hoodie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    JagZag wrote: »
    Your butt will get used to the saddle. Just try going a little further every time you ride.
    What JagZag said!

Congratulations and I hope you have fun on your new adventures! If you haven't already, make sure your seats are adjusted properly for your height. I commute by bike and ride regularly. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I might not have the answers, but I can help point you in the right direction. :)
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Yup with time it will feel better. I have a gel seat for when I do spinning and if it's been a while my butt gets sore again.
  • leannraya
    Options
    Well we did about 2.5 miles and after that our legs felt like jello. Keep in mind we have only started becoming more active in the past month, we are both trying to get out in the fresh air more and exercise together, so I know rome wasn't built in a day. I will just push through the pain and see if we get used to it :)
  • leannraya
    Options
    JagZag wrote: »
    What JagZag said!

Congratulations and I hope you have fun on your new adventures! If you haven't already, make sure your seats are adjusted properly for your height. I commute by bike and ride regularly. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I might not have the answers, but I can help point you in the right direction. :)

Thank you you're awesome! We did have to stop and start a few times to adjust the seat and the speeds on our bike to see what worked best for us. It's been about 15 years since either of us were on a bike so we sure have a lot to learn and get used to, but we're excited about it. The weather in NY has been so beautiful lately and we love being outside.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Try giving each other leg messages after you do a longer ride and feel sore. Also a hot shower or bath helps a lot.

Saddles (seats) can be a personal thing, sometimes you'll get used to it, sometimes you and a particular one just won't get along. It's ok if you need to swap it out after you've had it a few weeks. The shop you bought it from probably has a box of "take off" saddles and will probably trade you. Some shops will let you try one for a couple weeks before you buy it.

Please get lights if there's any chance of being caught out after dark or if you'll ride among traffic. Lights get drivers attention.

There's nothing better than being out on your bike on a sunny day and feeling the wind on your face. I hope you enjoy yours a lot!
  • leannraya
    Options
    Try giving each other leg messages after you do a longer ride and feel sore. Also a hot shower or bath helps a lot.

Saddles (seats) can be a personal thing, sometimes you'll get used to it, sometimes you and a particular one just won't get along. It's ok if you need to swap it out after you've had it a few weeks. The shop you bought it from probably has a box of "take off" saddles and will probably trade you. Some shops will let you try one for a couple weeks before you buy it.

Please get lights if there's any chance of being caught out after dark or if you'll ride among traffic. Lights get drivers attention.

There's nothing better than being out on your bike on a sunny day and feeling the wind on your face. I hope you enjoy yours a lot!

Thanks for the amazing advice! I suffer with anxiety and depression, and every day is usually a struggle to stay calm, and really riding in the beautiful weather felt so freeing and relaxing. I really think it made a huge difference in my mood
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of biking! Beware, it's a bit addictive ;) You've hit upon what I love about being on a bike - not only is it good for your physical health, it gives you a mental boost as well.

Sore behinds are par for the course for the beginning. You'll build up a tolerance after awhile. In addition, you may want to try adjusting the seat height and handlebar positions. Sometimes changing the body posture can help alleviate the pressure on that area. You may also want to look into getting some padded bike shorts. I had a pair of these when I was at my heaviest and they fit well - http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Padded-Classic-Workout-Shorts/dp/B000Y0D6TS/

Also join us over in the monthly bike challenge thread - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10362976/april-2016-bike-bicycle-cycling-challenge - it's a great group of people at all levels of fitness who ride lots of different distances and ride lots of different kinds of bikes. We like to see bike pictures and hear about people's rides.
  • tonyvorell
    tonyvorell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you're lucky you're riding with a partner. there are so many little tweaks to the saddle angle and position (as well as the handle bars) that are much easier to do with a partner. A well adjusted bike can make a big difference in comfort. There are some great youtube videos on how to adjust your bike
  • leannraya
    Options
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    Welcome to the wonderful world of biking! Beware, it's a bit addictive ;) You've hit upon what I love about being on a bike - not only is it good for your physical health, it gives you a mental boost as well.

Sore behinds are par for the course for the beginning. You'll build up a tolerance after awhile. In addition, you may want to try adjusting the seat height and handlebar positions. Sometimes changing the body posture can help alleviate the pressure on that area. You may also want to look into getting some padded bike shorts. I had a pair of these when I was at my heaviest and they fit well - http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Padded-Classic-Workout-Shorts/dp/B000Y0D6TS/

Also join us over in the monthly bike challenge thread - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10362976/april-2016-bike-bicycle-cycling-challenge - it's a great group of people at all levels of fitness. We like to see bike pictures and hear about people's rides.

Thank you so much for being so welcoming! I sure feel like a newbie now looking at that thread! Such amazing goals!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If your butts hurt that badly my gut feeling is that the bikes need to be fitted properly. If you bought them from a big box store that could be a problem as they seldom have anyone who has a clue on staff. If you bought them fro a bike shop they'll probably be happy to help you.

If you're doing it yourself here are a couple of resources that may help.....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1VYhyppWTDc

bicycling.com/maintenance/bike-fit/if-bike-fits-buy-it

I will take your sit bones a little while adjust but stick with it, biking can be both great exercise and a lot of fun.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for being so welcoming! I sure feel like a newbie now looking at that thread! Such amazing goals!

Everyone has to start somewhere! Keep going a bit farther each time and don't be afraid to ask questions.

• NorthCascades
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the amazing advice! I suffer with anxiety and depression, and every day is usually a struggle to stay calm, and really riding in the beautiful weather felt so freeing and relaxing. I really think it made a huge difference in my mood

I've suffered from anxiety and depression at times, too. I've taken pills for it. For me, being outdoors is a really big help. So is exercise. It makes me feel like I'm doing the right kinds of stuff, like I'm making myself healthier and all that, which takes a lot of my anxiety away. Also, being exhausted or sore from the workout really takes your mind off being depressed. And all that's on top of how it just makes you happy to feel like you're flying on a sunny day in the park or wherever.

Let me give you a little more advice: use your gears! Go for a couple rides where you just shift all the time and get a feel for it. Being in the wrong gear makes riding a bike so much harder than it has to be, it can be a really leisurely thing (or a hard workout) if you want it to be. But shifting isn't really obvious at first. So spend some time getting used to it.

One more thing. Some people use phone apps (Strava is real popular) to "record" their rides. Some people don't care, others find it motivating to know how many miles you did, or see a map of where you went. Even if you don't care about all that, look at Strava's global heat map to find places to ride nearby you.

You should post some pictures of the bikes. :)
  • leannraya
    Options
    Here she is!

725h2bpmg0wm.jpg
  • leannraya
    Options

I've suffered from anxiety and depression at times, too. I've taken pills for it. For me, being outdoors is a really big help. So is exercise. It makes me feel like I'm doing the right kinds of stuff, like I'm making myself healthier and all that, which takes a lot of my anxiety away. Also, being exhausted or sore from the workout really takes your mind off being depressed. And all that's on top of how it just makes you happy to feel like you're flying on a sunny day in the park or wherever.

Let me give you a little more advice: use your gears! Go for a couple rides where you just shift all the time and get a feel for it. Being in the wrong gear makes riding a bike so much harder than it has to be, it can be a really leisurely thing (or a hard workout) if you want it to be. But shifting isn't really obvious at first. So spend some time getting used to it.

One more thing. Some people use phone apps (Strava is real popular) to "record" their rides. Some people don't care, others find it motivating to know how many miles you did, or see a map of where you went. Even if you don't care about all that, look at Strava's global heat map to find places to ride nearby you.

You should post some pictures of the bikes. :)

I figured out how to post the photo =]

I had it on 3 I think on the left and 5 on the right, seemed to be a little easier to start, not sure what the right handle is but the left I learned it takes less energy to petal on 3. Don't I just sound like a seasoned professional biker?? lol
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Sweet effing ride! That looks like a nice bike! :)
  • leannraya
    Options
    Sweet effing ride! That looks like a nice bike! :)

Really? Thank you!!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you adjust through your gears as you ride, you should be able to keep an even tempo in your pedaling and also make hard spots easier (like going up a hill or if you are tired). Your left adjuster SHOULD adjust the bigger front rings (the bigger the ring, the harder you'll find it to pedal). The right adjuster should adjust the smaller back rings (the smaller the rings, the harder to pedal there). Just keep fooling with them as you pedal and you'll learn what is what and how to keep your pedaling consistent. You'll also learn how to look ahead and adjust for what's coming...example, if I know a hill is coming I may use some harder gears and pedal harder to get some momentum, then back down the gears as I go up the hill and need to make it easier. I also TRY to downshift when I'm coming to a stop, particularly if I'm riding in traffic, so I don't have to start from some super hard big ring!!! (So embarrassing!).

As for adjusting your bike, keep playing with it and realize that your seats can go forward and back, rock up and down (raise and lower the nose) as well as adjust the height. I prefer the nose of my seat to be slightly up. Also, for yourself, consider getting a women's specific seat. Made a HUGE difference for me. And your handle bar adjustment can make a difference in your seat comfort. Play with that, as well. Seat adjustment can make a world of difference. Last year a group of us were out on a ride, one friend on a new bike that she hadn't really ridden much more than a couple of miles on yet. She was in AGONY. To the point I thought I might have to ride back and get a car. We stopped and I played with her seat adjustments, and it was like the woman had a new lease on life. It made ALL the difference. She road her first 20 miles that day.

Welcome! I love biking!!! It's a great way to be outside, get places, and stretch your legs. My ultimate fantasy is to live somewhere that I can give up my car and only bike!
  • leannraya
    Options
    If you adjust through your gears as you ride, you should be able to keep an even tempo in your pedaling and also make hard spots easier (like going up a hill or if you are tired). Your left adjuster SHOULD adjust the bigger front rings (the bigger the ring, the harder you'll find it to pedal). The right adjuster should adjust the smaller back rings (the smaller the rings, the harder to pedal there). Just keep fooling with them as you pedal and you'll learn what is what and how to keep your pedaling consistent. You'll also learn how to look ahead and adjust for what's coming...example, if I know a hill is coming I may use some harder gears and pedal harder to get some momentum, then back down the gears as I go up the hill and need to make it easier. I also TRY to downshift when I'm coming to a stop, particularly if I'm riding in traffic, so I don't have to start from some super hard big ring!!! (So embarrassing!).

As for adjusting your bike, keep playing with it and realize that your seats can go forward and back, rock up and down (raise and lower the nose) as well as adjust the height. I prefer the nose of my seat to be slightly up. Also, for yourself, consider getting a women's specific seat. Made a HUGE difference for me. And your handle bar adjustment can make a difference in your seat comfort. Play with that, as well. Seat adjustment can make a world of difference. Last year a group of us were out on a ride, one friend on a new bike that she hadn't really ridden much more than a couple of miles on yet. She was in AGONY. To the point I thought I might have to ride back and get a car. We stopped and I played with her seat adjustments, and it was like the woman had a new lease on life. It made ALL the difference. She road her first 20 miles that day.

Welcome! I love biking!!! It's a great way to be outside, get places, and stretch your legs. My ultimate fantasy is to live somewhere that I can give up my car and only bike!

I could just hug you right now. since this was the first day with my bike I think I'll read my manual and see what it does!