Apparently, I need friends on this thing...No Rockys Balboas, please!

Options
Don't get me wrong, friends are great! Really, I have several of them already - a fact I try not to take for granted. I'm just a little confused as to how adding "friends" (a.k.a. strangers I don't know) will help motivate me towards achieving my goals. That's all. Also, it weirds me out a little bit that Brandy S. in Reno can see if I've overindulged in a milkshake last Friday night (no offense to any Brandy S.'s. That was purely hypothetical. Also, I did not partake in a milkshake!)

That being said, I want to give this my all and am willing to search for positive and supportive persons who would like a little extra help along their own fitness journey. I have been going 15 days strong on MFP (Woohoo!) and finally decided to introduce myself because all of the blog tips were promising stronger results if I added "friends". Since none of my friends care to be healthy, and my husband is one of those despised mortals who can eat all the carbs he wants and never gain an ounce of fat, I decided to say hello.

If you are a positive individual who promises not to razz on me like Rocky's trainer (what was that old guy's name?) and you'd like to be friends, please add me! BUT, if you are super hard core and one of those unfortunate types who spends two hours staring at your biceps every morning in the mirror, please forget my name. We would not jive.

Also, if you read all of this...well, then, you deserve a sticker, don't you?

Nice to meet you all!

Replies

• tayter_tot7
    tayter_tot7 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You don't have to add people unless you want to
  • shernan2
    shernan2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    *That should be Rocky. I did watch the movies, I promise. Yes, it was because my husband made me.
  • barbara3213
    barbara3213 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I WANT the accountability of Brandy S. being able to see that I just ate 8 Oreos (sad but true). If my food diary isn't a secret, secret eating loses some of its power over me. I'd love to be your friend, to motivate each other and get healthy together.
  • HaywoodJ
    HaywoodJ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Rocky's trainer was Mickey right? Keep up the good work. I have been here for "most" of 2 years. I have lost a total of 28 lbs., and have maintained 20 of those.
  • shernan2
    Options
    Whew! So sorry guys, didn't mean to offend! I'm just a little silly sometimes :)

I should have been clearer with my goals - I DO think the idea of finding supportive partners is a good one! And I certainly didn't mean to sound picky! There are all types and levels of fitness. I just wanted to be honest that my own goals may not be as advanced as someone else's. I recently joined because I discovered I was pre-diabetic. My goal is to exercise at least one hour a day and lose enough weight to counteract this (I have already lost 10 pounds since I started) I want to be healthy and active so that I can do the things in life that I love! If I can cheer for anyone else doing the same, it would be doubly exciting!
  • shernan2
    Options
    Congrats, HaywoodJ! Two years is a long time! Barbara3213, I would love to add you! How do I do that, exactly? Thanks everyone for the comments!
  • TurquoiseViolet
    TurquoiseViolet Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sending a friend request. I have been on MFP for awhile. I have found it most useful when I have friends that are active and I have been able to interact with.
  • radlilstar
    radlilstar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ahahahahaha!!! To all of it! Good luck, lady
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I now want a milkshake. I think I'll have one this Friday night.
  • maryking_
    maryking_ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    let's do this girl! I would love to be your friend and get fit together! feel free to add me:)
  • smithnan
    smithnan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Shernan2, I totally get your sense of humor, and would love to be your friend and motivate each other! I've had an MSP account for a few years, but never really did much with it. As Turquoise velvet said, it's better to have active friends you can interact with.

By the way I do not open my diary to my friends, Maybe someday I'll be secure enough for that, to be honest, I doubt it :-) Feel free to add me, or if I can figure out how, I will send a friend request to you :)
  • Sizzledd
    Sizzledd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm here
  • danniell2016
    danniell2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had an ice cream Sunday for supper.....and sadly. I have no MFP friends...LOL.

Can't promise I'll know how to be a friend. But I am new as well and would love to have some help and offer it.
  • Greenmm92563
    Greenmm92563 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream and I can be a good friend... If your looking for friends who are fun and supportive I'm just a request friend click away
  • 285to170
    285to170 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Lol I found this post absolutely hilarious. I honestly was a bit nervous to interact with the mfp community. Mainly because of my own silly insecurities but I've found people here to be really nice and supportive and it makes some what daunting tasks fun for me.

Like trying recipes (I hate cooking) and fitness challenges! Sending you a request and wishing you lots of success on your goals!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Some need friends on here some don't. What is great about having friends on here is you can talk about what you are going through all day long here and people won't get fed up. Your real life friends may get fed up with the weight loss and exercise talk after awhile.

Things really got better for me here when I started to look through forums and add friends. Seeing someone exercise everyday when you can't be bothered sometimes makes you say I am going to do it myself. Sometimes you may struggle and want to give up your MFP friends will keep you going. 15 days in is ok as you are full of up and raring to go but motivation doesn't last forever. Good luck
  • PantoneRed
    PantoneRed Posts: 40 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Why Do I Need Friends?

Why #1
    I've been lurking the boards since last week and wondering if and where I should jump on in. This post made me laugh and I had to thank you for that Shernan2. Actually, you had me at 'Friday night milkshake'. If you had said 'beer & a burger', I would have thought we were soul mates. No judgment here. Anything in moderation.

Why #2
    Worried about not being able to stick with it as I've let my fitness level bottomed out over the last year. We can learn so much from each other through failures and successes, strengths and weaknesses. Results happen through the good, bad and ugly.

Why #3
    I can't get down on myself about how much easier a workout 'used to be' or how great I looked two years ago. It took a long while to get out of shape, and I know getting back to where I once won't happen overnight. Friends keep me accountable. Kick my behind, I can take it.

Make it a great day!
    Sandee

• kcongel90
    kcongel90 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My husband is a similar type of person. He LOST weight after Christmas, that *kitten*.