Food Addict Looking for Support

Options
I could write a novel on just my issues with food, let alone my anxiety disorders. I've been trying, and failing, for well over a year now to lose weight and have had virtually zero success. I need to be held accountable. I have big issues with food, going all the way back to childhood, and I'm fighting like crazy right now to get this weight off of me. I've been miserable in my own skin for so long, and I'm tired of it. I've been yo-yo dieting for over a year now, and I'm so frustrated with everything. I've decided to get back on here and try to stick to 1200 calories every day. I'm 5'1", and I weigh 163 pounds right now. My ultimate goal is 110-115 pounds, but for now, I'm aiming for 130 (so my BMI will be in the normal range again). The trouble is, my self-esteem is rock-bottom, and I don't even like myself. I just need to be held accountable. My biggest issue right now is my addiction to fast food. It's more of an emotional attachment than anything. All my life, I have learned to associate fast food with happiness and comfort, and now I'm in a heck of a mess. It's honestly embarrassing... I'm trying to abstain from fast food/restaurants completely, because I literally can't control myself around it. One restaurant meal, and I am off track for weeks, and that's not an exaggeration. It's an addiction for me. I feel like I need it to be happy. Fast food isn't the only problem, though. I binge at home, too. I think it's a control issue. I tell myself I don't want to go over my calorie limit, and then I go stuff my face to the point of nausea, almost like I'm rebelling. I keep sabotaging my own efforts, and I don't know why I keep doing it. I know I need help, and I'm in the process of getting it. I'm back on my anti-anxiety/anti-depression medication, and I'm going to start therapy soon. In the meantime, however, I'm going to go completely against my stubborn, hermit nature and ask for support in this effort from the mfp community. I've tried countless times to go it alone, and I'm still at step one... I need help. I think I'll go now and make my diary public, to help feel more accountable for my actions.

Replies

• sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Depression is anger turned inwards, oversimplified I know, but start with that idea. Then the self-sabotage makes more sense. I've been there and still struggle. Everyday that I am kind to myself, eat food that I need for fuel and do not eat anything that is harmful to my body.....high transfat, high sodium, high process sugar......I notice, I congratulate myself and I appreciate myself. Sounds corny, but it matters. Every little step that you take toward self care, make note of it. It will be harder to sabotage yourself when you find out that you can be caring and kind to yourself.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    When you don't feel you are in control, and cannot stop something you want to stop, it is an addiction. I suggest you get professional help from someone who specializes in this. It's a problem that you want to and deserve to solve
  • KittiesGoMew
    KittiesGoMew Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling for a while now with your weight and especially the way you feel. Sometimes we need to hit rock bottom so to speak and it sounds like you have. We can only go up from there!

I'd also like to say that you've made a good move on opening your diary. I might just make you feel a little more accountable. Feel free to add me if you want and I'll be happy to support you with your journey!
  • Dargrohm
    Dargrohm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. :) Very good advice, and I'll take it to heart.
  • coltsmama2015
    coltsmama2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel like I could have written this. Except I am currently 5'6 and 280 pounds. I am so ashamed with myself. I literally eat fast food twice a day. I don't feel "normal" until I've had breakfast and a giant diet coke from McDonalds. Every. Single. Day. I feel so disgusted with myself. I work 12 hours a day and use that as an excuse to not pack a lunch. Then I have to go buy a fast food lunch. Usually McDonalds again. I feel so good and happy while I'm eating it. Afterwards, I usually want more, even tho I feel guilty and exhausted. It doesn't matter if I'm super full, I still think about what I'm going to have for dinner. I've been seriously considering therapy as well... Pretty sure I need professional help.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Maybe ease up a bit on your calorie deficit so you can eat a little bit more and fit in something from McDonalds once a week? It might help if you know you've got something you really want to look forward to and help you avoid binging if the reward is you can eat a McDonalds meal and still meet your goals.
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @coltsmama2015 and dargrohm, I also feel like I could have written this post myself. It's not only embarrassing, but so difficult to face that I just don't have the self restraint to say no. I always tell myself that I will take left-overs from dinner to work the next day, but I NEVER do. I go out to eat and tell myself "I'll order the salad, I'll order the salad, I'll order the salad" then when they ask me what I am having my mouth opens up and a demon from deep inside my body speaks out "I'll have the burger" or whatever else I should not be having. I can hear myself say it, but have no power to stop it. I always regret it later. :(
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are struggling. I also deal with anxiety and currently am having a tough time with not going to go eat more after just having had lunch. I also have a bad relationship with food but I know that it can be changed. You can add me if you would like! Also, I would like to add that I used to love fast food as well (it made me happy I thought) but after cutting myself off from it for awhile, it isn't satisfying to have it and usually tastes bad to me.
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I too have battled the same issues for a long time. I've now lost 54 lbs since January and it's a struggle day to day. There is a difference in my attitude this time that I think is the reason that I am succeeding now when I have failed in the past. In January I decided that I was going to change my eating and exercise habits and get healthier. I still have a very very long way to go.

In my opinion, the difference is this. This time I have my head on straight. I went into this knowing that I was going to work at losing weight, however because of the long way I have to go, I also decided that I was not going to deny myself those things that I really want to eat. I knew I would just deal with the situations when they arose and not beat myself up mentally for it. I told my family not to nag me about what I was eating if I happened to want to have pizza or something and they've honored that wish.

Funny thing is that I haven't wanted to eat those items so it hasn't been an issue. I mentally gave myself permission and that changed everything.

The reason I had to add that permission was because I know I'm on a 2-3 year journey. Nothing happens overnight and I applaud myself for every step I make in the right direction. It is working and I'm grateful that I have had the ability to roll with the ups and downs and not let myself get down on myself which can quickly lead to the depression that leads to what I can the "what the hell" stage where I could possibly reverse all of the good done so far.

My little trick to not overeating is that I will plan my meals ahead of time and even bag the correct amount of food to eat. (Especially in the evening.) I will try to let my snacks (lately I have been eating raw almonds or fruit) last all night and just eat a little at a time which will fool the body into think it is getting more to eat than it is.

I hope this helps, good luck on your endeavor.
  • rccsinger
    rccsinger Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me. We all are here because we have a love affair with food. It takes time to educate ourselves to make smarter food choices. When you feel the need to binge at home take a walk, take a shower, call a friend or I have even gone to bed to avoid eating. You may also want to purge your house of junk food and be sure to have healthy snacks on hand. Once you have resisted it gets easier each time. Find creative ways to make your meals interesting and fresh. Lots of great recipes on the Internet. Be sure to include foods you love in smaller portions so you won't be tempted to binge. If you mess up don't beat yourself up and start fresh the next day (or even the next meal). Remember who you are on the inside is what counts! Good luck on your Journey!
  • The_Changling
    The_Changling Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes it's just baby steps. Take it one day at a time -that's what I need to do. By any means, I am not an expert, I just started my journey yesterday, but I am certain that the big picture will overwhelm me. I have 100 lbs to lose and that sounds like an impossible task.

Take it one day at a time, be nice and kind to yourself. I too need to be held accountable and I would love to support you if you have me.
  • rccsinger
    rccsinger Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Changling. Be sure to set small goals do you don't get too overwhelmed. It's also great to celebrate those victories along the way. Fell free to add me if you like
  • sew205
    sew205 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Dargrohm:
    I'm glad you're starting therapy and getting back to medication. I bet that will be a huge help (especially once you find the right tools for you). Your post resonates for me because of the way you describe the loneliness, self-loathing, and self-sabotage, so even though I'm not struggling with quite the same things, I wanted to tell you that I'm with you. Thank you for your honesty and your courage.
    Here's what works for me, for what it's worth:
    1)Pre-log food as much as possible.This is the single most valuable thing about MFP for me, because it forces me to be intentional about what I eat. (I think there's some psychology there about imagining yourself eating the food, too, that makes you more likely to actually do it.) I pre-log expected heavy-calorie meals, too, and that helps me both adjust the rest of my food for the day to balance it out at least a little, AND helps me enjoy that food more because I get to anticipate it even more. It also helps me avoid going off the rails when I lose it and eat a bunch of cheese, because I've already planned the next meal and somehow that keeps me in line, though its not rational.
    2) Set the calorie limit at a reasonable level. I love food, and a goal below 1400 is not something I can stick to. Keeping it below 1500 most of the time is a good place for me - hard but not awful. (I'm 5'3.5, started at 180lbs, and am now at 147.)
    3) Start emphatically, and then ease up. This was helpful to me because I'm lazy and easily discouraged, so getting immediate results was important motivation. I cut out added sugar and white flour, and ate lowish carbs for the first two weeks, which of course made the water weight fly off. Seeing the number on the scale go down so immediately and satisfyingly was a huge emotional boost that helped me settle in for the long haul.
    4) identify realistically what's going to keep you from your goals, and make a list. (For me it was my bad work lunch habits, and my poor evening supply of willpower.) Then figure out strategies to address every one of those barriers. If your strategies don't work, keep adjusting until it clicks. You're already doing this with identifying the need to address underlying emotional stuff.

I do not find that it gets easier. I don't think I'll ever be a person who doesn't crave unhealthy food, or a person who can't wait to get out for that 5-mile run. But I keep adding tools that help me make better choices, and it does get easier to reach for those tools when I need them.

Please feel free to add me.
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @sew205 you brought up some great points that make me think. You said that you started out cutting out added sugar and white flour. My question is, did you just go all in? I too have such a love/hate relationship with food that I am attempting to cut out certain things one small step at a time to make it a habit, but I don't know that I could go all cold turkey at once. For example, I started by eliminating soft drinks - I don't do the diet stuff, I am hard core, so I've stopped the colas. Am I going nowhere slowly by not changing all my habits at once? This is hard.... props to those who have made significant changes in their lives, I am yet to be that disciplined. I say this as I am sipping my white mocha.... Ugh!!!! :(
  • Charlasek
    Charlasek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What a great discussion. I just want to add that I've been in the same boat and last summer went to a therapist. He told me I'm a food addict flat out and suggested going to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting. I went grudgingly, but kept going back and have stayed in the program just about 9 months. I've lost about 60 pounds and I feel happier and more mentally stable than I can ever remember. My life doesn't revolve around food anymore. You're welcome to friend me, pm me, take a look at my diary if you want. I'm by no means perfect, but I've been at the bottom and don't intend to return to it.
  • sew205
    sew205 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @sew205 you brought up some great points that make me think. You said that you started out cutting out added sugar and white flour. My question is, did you just go all in? I too have such a love/hate relationship with food that I am attempting to cut out certain things one small step at a time to make it a habit, but I don't know that I could go all cold turkey at once. For example, I started by eliminating soft drinks - I don't do the diet stuff, I am hard core, so I've stopped the colas. Am I going nowhere slowly by not changing all my habits at once? This is hard.... props to those who have made significant changes in their lives, I am yet to be that disciplined. I say this as I am sipping my white mocha.... Ugh!!!! :(

For me, cutting out sugar and cutting back carbs was pretty hard-core. I knew I wasn't going to keep doing it for very long, because I love sugar and carbs, but doing it for two weeks made me realize that I CAN go without them, and helped me identify a few places in my life where I didn't miss them.(And I did notice that my hunger level really evened out, so I never felt insanely ravenous like I do when there's more sugar in my life.) Otherwise, I switched to eating salads rather than sandwiches for lunch and generally exercising portion control. But I still ate lots of delicious things. Just not ALL of them. And I let added sugar back into my life, and I still continue to lose weight, though more slowly.

I don't know. I actually think the slow program might be wiser, because you can really groove in healthy habits as you go, and that could help you maintain once you get to your goal. But it could also make you lose momentum and stall out. I think you just try something and see if it works, and then adjust. And no matter what, cutting out soda is a good move!
  • embersoul0417
    embersoul0417 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm one myself. I would love to join you on your weight loss journey. I have had a addiction to food, mine was sweets. I would eat nothing but Oreo's two family packs a day. Everyday. Plus other sweets through out the day. I'm sorry but my device is going dead. I will message you when it charges. I'm here for you to give you encouragement and support. My name is Shelia and I login under embersoul0417. You can do this. It's not always going to be easy, but you need to believe in yourself and know that you worth more than you may think. It's not even about the weight. It's a healthier way to live. Sorry going dead.
  • jenbean12
    jenbean12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a fast food addict too!! I love McDonald's more than anything! A couple years ago I lost 30 lbs with this app and here is what I found: don't starve yourself and you can't completely cut out the things you love. You can eat fast food just keep the portions smaller or pick healthier things off the menu. My rule with myself was I was going to keep it to 1200 calories and if I wanted more I had to burn the extra off with excercise! Soon that cheeseburger wasn't worth the hour of excercise. Keep small goals and remember if you slip tomorrow is always another day! Feel free to add me we can keep each other accountable!
  • lovemykiddos91
    lovemykiddos91 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I have anxiety and depression and food has been my comfort/friend almost all of my life. That's all I ever think about. I so want to have that terrible drive through food, but I want to be confidant in my body more. Feel free to add me. :) we can be each others motivation/support.
  • lavazula
    lavazula Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh girl you're speaking my language. as long as I can remember I have struggled with emotional compulsive overeating and food addiction. I too struggled with fast food and would often go to 3 different ones and get my favorite items and binge the freak out in my car, hide all the evidence and swear to start over the next day. just to wake up with a huge amount of self-loathing and shame over me. I hit bottom several years ago and started therapy as well as Overeaters Anonymous. I've also been through several inner healing sessions at my church that deal with root causes. I've been on an antianxiety/antidepressant (Effexor SR) which has seriously done wonders for me. I can say that all these avenues have helped me in some way. I've come so so far in learning to love and accept myself as I am no matter what size I am, and to nurture that little child within. do I have bad days, weak moments, and fall of the horse for weeks yes. but the feelings of self-loathing and shame are gone. I love myself back on the horse. I've also discovered a lot of new information about the brain and how our diets and what we put in our bodies effects our brain. I recently have implemented a ketogenic diet which is more of a way of life, plus or minus. it's seriously amazing to be able to eat a high amount of full fats, and very low carb (20-50 gm/day) and feel completely satisfied, have no more sugar cravings or highs and lows, and hunger virtually gone...even emotional eating is staved. Leptin is the hormone that's released in your brain that tells you you're satiated and full. this happens with increased fats. healthy whole fats. cut sugar, all whites, and processed foods and you'll be amazed. I'm on it now and just recently started back to working out and I honestly have zero cravings. anyway, I'm here for you on this path to freedom of health!! you are not alone, girl. more people than not struggle with food addiction. my therapist told me once "it's not your fault". and she's right. so stop beating yourself up. make a promise to yourself today. start to look at yourself as if you are the dearest person, friend, or child in your life...of whom you wouldn't dare abuse, harm, or loath. if you want more info about "keto" let me know or if you have any questions at all feel free to add me (lavazula). big hugs. and remember the very next minute is a brand new start! much love. laurie