Avocados

Options
Whats the word on avocados! I love them and have read varying information about whether they are a good choice when eating healthy. I typically eat about five a week, am I sabotaging myself by doing this, or is this a legitimate healthy addition to my diet plan? Thanks.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you like them, they fit into your calorie and nutrition goals, and you don't have any negative effects after eating them, then I don't see any problems with including them :flowerforyou:
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I've heard that they are a good source of healthy fats. Meaning the kind that boost your "good" cholesterol. I love them and find them very satisfying so I fit them into my meal plan.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    If you like them, they fit into your calorie and nutrition goals, and you don't have any negative effects after eating them, then I don't see any problems with including them :flowerforyou:

Do you think this is too long to put on a t shirt?
    :D:D And people wonder why things get called "good carbs" and "good fats" heh. Love the t-shirt comment!!
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    In a nutshell, good filling source of fat, good micronutirient content too. Like anything else requires moderation if you're counting calories. If you love them, you can fit them in to your calorie goals though. There are worse things that you could crave (such as jelly bellies, myself :D )
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love avocados, They are a healthy source of fat! I eat them frequently because it helps me reach calorie goals since I am usually always under.
  • ashleym1481
    ashleym1481 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback! Even with my avocados I have been consistently under my calorie limit and (although only 2.5 weeks into my journey) have lost four lbs! Since they are so satisfying and make me feel like I'm indulging, I'll definitely keep them around!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Whats the word on avocados! I love them and have read varying information about whether they are a good choice when eating healthy. I typically eat about five a week, am I sabotaging myself by doing this, or is this a legitimate healthy addition to my diet plan? Thanks.

Avocados are packed with nutrition...they are also calorie dense, so you have to be aware of that. One has nothing to do with the other...there are any number of very healthy foods that are also calorie dense...and there are any number of foods that provide very little in the way of actual nutrition that have few calories.

Don't confuse "healthy" and calories...calories are just the measurement of energy, not nutritional value.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hooray for avacado
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I love avocados, but haven't eaten them much recently because they have been too expensive and mostly not very good anyway. If I pay AU$4 - 6 for a single avo, I want something really good!

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I love avocados, but haven't eaten them much recently because they have been too expensive and mostly not very good anyway. If I pay AU$4 - 6 for a single avo, I want something really good!

Woolies have them 2/4$ at the moment. I hate the normal price as well. If it weren't for the price I'd have them everyday too.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    @_SKIM_
    Thanks, I'll put them on my list and hope they are good!
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat one most mornings at breakfast. Over 75 pounds down. Avocado is one of my favourite foods though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had rye toast, topped with poached eggs and pan fried avocado for dinner tonight, so good! Avo's go with everything and have great macros.
  • Fabbingit
    Fabbingit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started incorporating the Seed / Pit. I dry them by cutting into smaller pieces and then grind them up into a powder form with the Vita-Mix (awesome machine) and add to smoothies and eggs or oatmeal. Not a bunch written on them but I'm trying that avenue for now. Do your own research for sure!
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Also very high in fibre. Lucky you to have 5 avocados a week!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    They are so good baked with an egg in the middle for breakfast!
    Fit them into your daily calories and eat them as often as you like!
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm making go to make avocado dip this evening to go with my low-fat tacos.... so I don't see a problem with it.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Avocados are amazing and so versatile. Sometimes I just cut them up and eat them as is with a little s&p. I love to make a fresh salad with avocados, tomato, red onion, fresh cilantro, lime juice, and evoo.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Whoops, I posted too soon LOL

I also like to mash them and mix them with egg yolks for a fun twist on deviled eggs. They are great served with OE, sunnyside, and soft boiled eggs. Of course, there's always guacamole. They also make great topping for burgers and sandwiches.