mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Cave_Goose wrote: »
    5canicnpkdr9.jpg

I like that image - thanks!!!
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    2 main tips here: slow your running down a little. You can probably continue at a slower pace. that's fine. Speed will come as you stick with it. The other is if you are really not keeping up, you can repeat a week. That helps make sure you are ready. If your race is locked in to the completion time of the program straight through, go back to option 1. Keep working! I coach a few c35ks per year and its a great program. Not always easy, but always worth it.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    So today was Day 2 and it was so much easier today. Yes my legs were tired by the end but I wasn't nearly so out of breathe and was even a little faster than I was on Tuesday. Looking forward to Saturday's run now.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i'm starting week 4 on saturday! a couple of things that have helped me so far are to run slow, take small steps and to control my breathing by inhaling for 2 steps and exhaling for 2 steps. i walk the walking parts pretty slowly because i take my dog and he has other needs to attend to.

i'm glad i found this thread. :)
  • firef1y72
    Options
    Better late than never, after being delayed by some horrible weather I finally completed week 4 day 3 this morning. So yes pushing though was the way to go. Now I'm mentally preparing myself for week 5, day 1 doesn't sound too bad, reckon I can manage the 3x5minute runs. Day 2 sounds a bit more of a challenge at 8min runs, but day 3 is the one making me nervous, a whole 20 minutes without stopping. Decided that I'm going to go for it, run for as long as I can and if I don't manage the whole 20 minutes, well I'll just repeat the week until I do.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »

One tip: the running sections - run them slow (even if it feels like you are crawling), the walking sections - walk them fast.

I must be one of the slowest joggers ever seen in the village, tested out my jogging speed on the treadmill earlier today and it was 7km/hr and probably less than that out on the road running up a slight incline in to the wind. (Doing about 11.5min/km when combining warm up, jogging and walking intervals and cool down)

7 hm/h is not as slow as you think for a complete beginner. If you cannot handle it, no shame in going even slower. Can you walk/sing while running? If not, slow down.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Better late than never, after being delayed by some horrible weather I finally completed week 4 day 3 this morning. So yes pushing though was the way to go. Now I'm mentally preparing myself for week 5, day 1 doesn't sound too bad, reckon I can manage the 3x5minute runs. Day 2 sounds a bit more of a challenge at 8min runs, but day 3 is the one making me nervous, a whole 20 minutes without stopping. Decided that I'm going to go for it, run for as long as I can and if I don't manage the whole 20 minutes, well I'll just repeat the week until I do.

I just finished Week 5 Day 1 this morning. It felt great to go out and run for 5 minutes each time, and to find myself able and eager to do it!

I'm a bit nervous about the 8 minute stretches on Wednesday, but also eager again to do it.

And i agree.. Day 3 is quite ambitious; but i've gained confidence in myself, and trust in the c25k program's designers, by finding that the program can take help me get this far. I look forward to completing Day 3 on Friday, and finding that i CAN run 2 miles without stop, when the time comes.
  • krs83301
    krs83301 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread! I'm at Week 2 Day 1 today and it's super motivating to read everyone's posts...
  • firef1y72
    Options
    Today was week 5 day 1 and although a little harder not as tough as I imagined. Those five minutes seem to last forever but I managed without stopping. Friday sees me needing to run for 8 minutes at a time but there's only an overal increase of 1 minute.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week8 (the days no longer matter!! :) ) and I have to say 2 things: TRUST the system, and yesterday I changed routes because there was a woman that came on the path that I'm pretty sure was walking the same speed as I was running. I was a bit embarrassed about that (I'm running a 16 minute/mile), but nothing is going to stop me now, God willing. My 5K is still 7 weeks away, so I'll worry about speed in 2 weeks when I've finished the program. Keep on keepin' on!!
  • wonko221
    Options
    Today was week 5 day 1 and although a little harder not as tough as I imagined. Those five minutes seem to last forever but I managed without stopping. Friday sees me needing to run for 8 minutes at a time but there's only an overal increase of 1 minute.

Good going, Firef1y72!

Week 5 Day 2 for me, this morning. Monday, when i completed Day 1, was like you said: a little harder, but not as tough as i imagined. I expected the two 8-minute segments this morning would be grueling.

It actually went by quite nicely! I kept my pace relaxed, and kept the phone screen blank so i wasn't watching the time, and each of the two eight minute jogging portions went by smoothly. Instead of the 3/4 miles over eight minutes i only completed a little over 1/2 mile each, so my pace is slower than the program expects; but i freaking joggedfor eight minutes - twice!

I admit to some anxiety about friday morning's plan to run for 20 minutes without a break, but i have found the program's pace to be challenging-but-manageable so far, and i expect i'll make it!
  • bfit2017
    bfit2017 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I would push on to Week 4 and see how you go. A lot of running is mental and you may surprise yourself with your capability.

One tip: the running sections - run them slow (even if it feels like you are crawling), the walking sections - walk them fast.

You'll be golden.
    Great advice
  • mshelyla
    mshelyla Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 1, Day 3 today! It's actually not nearly as bad as I expected it to be... and I'm doing better than I expected. I'm at about a 15:30 mile.
    I signed up for a 5k at the end of June to keep my motivation up. And I'm really happy to have found this thread to see that others are doing it as well!
    Anyone who wants mutual support is welcome to add me!
  • firef1y72
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »

Good going, Firef1y72!

Week 5 Day 2 for me, this morning. Monday, when i completed Day 1, was like you said: a little harder, but not as tough as i imagined. I expected the two 8-minute segments this morning would be grueling.

It actually went by quite nicely! I kept my pace relaxed, and kept the phone screen blank so i wasn't watching the time, and each of the two eight minute jogging portions went by smoothly. Instead of the 3/4 miles over eight minutes i only completed a little over 1/2 mile each, so my pace is slower than the program expects; but i freaking joggedfor eight minutes - twice!

I admit to some anxiety about friday morning's plan to run for 20 minutes without a break, but i have found the program's pace to be challenging-but-manageable so far, and i expect i'll make it!

That's brilliant. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same on Friday. My 20 minute run will be on Monday, as I said I'm going to try my best and if I can't manage the full 20 minutes then I'll just restart the week.
  • firef1y72
    Options
    mshelyla wrote: »
    I'm on Week 1, Day 3 today! It's actually not nearly as bad as I expected it to be... and I'm doing better than I expected. I'm at about a 15:30 mile.
    I signed up for a 5k at the end of June to keep my motivation up. And I'm really happy to have found this thread to see that others are doing it as well!
    Anyone who wants mutual support is welcome to add me!

One of the reasons I've continued with the post is I would have found reading about other C25Kers concerns and triumphs helpful as I started this journey. It helps people know what to expect and that the longer runs are perhaps not as bad as they imagine.
  • wonko221
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »

Good going, Firef1y72!

That's brilliant. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same on Friday. My 20 minute run will be on Monday, as I said I'm going to try my best and if I can't manage the full 20 minutes then I'll just restart the week.

There's no shame in restarting weeks as needed. BUT - I think we've got this!
  • firef1y72
    Options
    So today was week 5 day 2 with the 2 8 minute run/jogs and despite having the wobbles before starting out in pleased to say that I successfully completed the run.

OK I was barely above fast walking pace and yes it was hard but I finished both runs. I don't know about how anyone else felt during this day of the program but I found myself hitting a "I can't do this" barrier around halfway through the first run where I lost control of my breathing just a little. But after getting back in control and pushing on there was no stopping me.

So here's looking forward to Monday and the 20 minute run.
  • wonko221
    Options
    So today was week 5 day 2 with the 2 8 minute run/jogs and despite having the wobbles before starting out in pleased to say that I successfully completed the run.

OK I was barely above fast walking pace and yes it was hard but I finished both runs. I don't know about how anyone else felt during this day of the program but I found myself hitting a "I can't do this" barrier around halfway through the first run where I lost control of my breathing just a little. But after getting back in control and pushing on there was no stopping me.

So here's looking forward to Monday and the 20 minute run.

Congratulations!

I look forward to reading your updates, and am super proud of your progress. It's nice to find someone right around the same day as me, and working hard at it.

I know what you mean about losing control of the breathing. I"ll be super focused on it, and keeping my pace relaxed. Then i'll notice my arms coming up high and crossing my chest, and focus on that. Before too long, i'm appreciating the morning, and lose track of breathing. Always need to get my focus back on that, and often slow my pace again just a little.

This morning i did my twenty minutes for Week 5, Day 3. Just last night i was admitting my apprehension to my girlfriend, who is a fountain of encouragement and support. She told me "you've got this!" - and i did.

I didn't run two miles in twenty minutes (i did a little over two miles for the full 30 minutes program, warm-up and cool-down included), but i did run for twenty minutes straight.

When i hit a branch in the path and my legs were a bit shaky but my breathing was fine, i checked the time. Five minutes left.... "Alright.. i have doe fifteen minutes... i can do this...." When my "1 minute remaining" indicator went off, i found a little extra energy, and upped my pace for the last minute. Was super thrilled to complete twenty minutes!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 4 today, which is the first week that has more running than walking. It looks a little daunting, but I'm going to trust myself. Week 5 looks almost impossible right now, but I'll re-evaluate when I get there. :smile:
  • wonko221
    Options
    I am starting week 4 today, which is the first week that has more running than walking. It looks a little daunting, but I'm going to trust myself. Week 5 looks almost impossible right now, but I'll re-evaluate when I get there. :smile:

each the time the program has upped its expectations of me, i've felt that bit of anxiousness. but i've also found it achievable!

Congratulations on starting the program, and sticking through it to the fourth week. Look at how far you've come.

I'll see you at the finish line!