What's the biggest pain in the butt when it comes to cooking at home?

Replies

• kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    I didn't really learn how to cook until two years ago, when I decided to work on losing my excess weight. I found I really enjoy it! I like searching for tasty and healthy recipes online, and I like perusing the produce and selecting what I think is the tastiest. I LOVE handling the ingredients, washing, chopping, mixing, spicing. I don't know why it feels so satisfying. It's like, "Wow, I am in complete control of what I'm eating today. The only things in this casserole/stew/pasta/smoothie/oatmeal/whatever are what I choose to put in there. No weird preservatives or food coloring, no excess grams of salt or sugar, nothing I can't identify easily." It's just so nice, washing peppers, mincing garlic, measuring out oil, shaking in herbs, stirring a big pot or carefully assembling a lasagna or ratatouille.

The most obnoxious thing about cooking is my current kitchen. I have very little counter space (I live in a studio apartment), literally the only counter is the space over the dishwasher. Next to that is the sink, and then beside that is the stove. So, I have to be very efficient and clean up as I make things, which is annoying.

I don't really cook during the week, aside from assembling smoothies in the morning and salads at lunch. I usually cook my main dish and a side dish on Sundays, when I have free time, and eat leftovers throughout the week. I have time to cook during the weekdays, I just prefer to use that time for working out and then reading (I lament how much reading time I've lost, but I know I need those 90 minutes in the gym to be healthy, so it's a sacrifice I got to make).
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    I cook once a week. Basically everything we eat is a leftover before we ever have it the first time. I have to wash, peel, cut, chop, and clean up only once.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    I have two things I hate: one is all the weighing and measuring I currently do, which significantly slows down meal production. When I could just eyeball a wodge of butter, a couple pork chops, half an onion and a pepper, it went much faster.

The second is that my partner constantly requests meals that don't fit with the number of calories or effort to prepare them. I'm not spending 3 hours making eggplant parmesan when I can only fit one tiny piece into my calorie allowance. It's even worse when I'll make something that's a little calorie heavy (like beef pot roast), and he doesn't eat the leftovers.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Just thinking of what to cook that everyone will like or eat. I'm trying to eat healthy and honestly I'll eat whatever is put in front of me. But hubby and kids are picky.

You could try to ask them what they want :D

Or what my mum did; have them take over the cooking. She did this when my brother had a picky period. He grew out of it superquickly
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Biggest drain is the prepwork for some recipes. If you make everything fresh, from scratch, the prep work can be very involved. I love eating bruschetta, but it takes forever to chop the two pounds of tomatoes to make it (we eat it as its own meal).

I tend to make 2 days worth of meals at a time, so obviously, we eat a lot of leftovers. We also eat a lot of lazy quick things like burgers and baked potatoes. We maybe eat out once every 6-8 weeks, usually either because it is a special event or we are on a very long day trip/vacation. It just isn't worth it to eat out the vast majority of the time, both in terms of calories and money. I hate spending a crap load of money at a restaurant and leaving feeling like it was...ok...but I could have done better myself for way less.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Cleaning afterwards
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    I am not skilled in the kitchen and hate feeling stupid when it comes to cooking. I'm just not a natural. But when I do get something right, I love it. I like it when I make my partner happy and family all likes the meal.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    3 years ago, my husband and I both ate out pretty much every single day. Sometimes 3 times a day! Yikes! Fast forward 3 years and I have not been to a fast food place except Subway (for a chopped salad) since January 2013.... Loving it! I have discovered the Joy of Cooking -- not the book, just the joy. Had cooked for the family back when the kids were young, of course, but after they left it was like I was allergic to the kitchen! Finding different ways to cook the fresh veggies, lean meats, and finding delicious but simple desserts has been fun! We are not spending anymore $$ than when we ate out all the time - less, since we bought food we were "going to" fix And ate out anyway, wasting all that food. Never said we were terribly bright! I prep for a couple hours on the weekend for breakfasts and lunches and after working from 6:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. at a desk job and working out & doing chores until 6 p.m. - I hit the kitchen to see what moves my meter. Making sure there are plenty of fresh options to choose from, I just run with it and it usually never takes me more than 20-30 minutes to get a fresh, healthy, and delicious meal for us. Not a pain in the least (anymore).
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I don't cook. I have plenty of time and energy - I just have no interest. I can always find something more fun to do.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Finding something to make that's somewhat healthy and that everyone will like (or at least eat without too much complaining). Also the timing ... and finally, the clean-up. I'm the only one that cooks and cleans up... I also work, help my daughter homework, go to school meetings/functions, take my daughter to most of her activities, etc.......
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Not having enough counter space. We have literally one counter.
    Dishes - goes without saying.
    "30 minute meals" that are never 30 minutes because I don't have someone to set up my mise en place for me!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    "30 minute meals" that are never 30 minutes because I don't have someone to set up my mise en place for me!

Yep. The actual cooking time may be 30 minutes, the prep work to get there is often conveniently excluded.

Main dishes I can actually make in 30 minutes, start to finish:

Baked potatoes in the Instant Pot
    Turkey and cheese oven toasted sandwiches
    Burgers on the grill
    Spaghetti/penne in tomato sauce (assuming I have prepped in advance sauce somewhere)
    Leftovers
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Thanks everyone for the insightful answers! So I see that some of the unanimous pain points are:

1) Lack of time
    2) Lack of energy
    3) Challenge deciding what to make daily
    4) People really hate cleaning!
    5) Family member may not like what you make

It seems to boil down to lack of time and energy. It really appears to be the story of our lives when it comes to anything! For simplification purposes, let's just say cleaning is still part of the cooking process. After all, it does take time and energy. So what do you all think is the best way to make the best use of time and energy when it comes to meal planning, cooking, and cleaning? Should you:

A) buy precut produce or just cut all your produce in the beginning of the week so the ingredients are "restaurant ready" and you can start cooking right away?
    B. learn more general recipe "templates" or "guidelines" so you can easily make substitutions ie: recipe calls for 1 cup green leafy veggie, 2 tablespoon fat, 1 cup starch, 4 oz protein?
    C) Organize and simplify your kitchen? Maybe you have too many pots, pans, plates that you don't use daily causing you to wash too many unnecessary items?

Thanks again everyone for sharing! I would love to hear your thoughts!

I like cooking, but I like it a lot more when Husband is out of town and I only have to cook twice a week. Even though he does the dishes when he's home (I HATE doing the dishes), it's really tiring to spend an hour in the kitchen after a long day at work and a hard workout. I usually don't get to eat until 8:30 or 9 if I have to cook during the week, and by then I'm grumpy. I've thought about making larger batches of food on the weekends so I don't have to cook during the week, but Husband likes variety, and I find cooking 8-10 servings instead of 4 a little challenging. Things that have helped:

-Common ingredients for the week. I can cut up a whole onion on Monday, use half, and have the rest ready to go on Tuesday. I would never use pre-cut ingredients; they're so overpriced.
    -Slow cooker recipes. I can get up early, dump everything in the slow cooker, and have food ready for us when we're done working out. This also makes more servings, usually.
    -Templates do take some effort out of planning. Pick a protein from the freezer, use common spices for seasoning, pick up whatever veggie looks best as a side, make rice. It's not as elaborate and creative as I prefer to be, but it's fast.
    -I practice cooking techniques on the weekends, and I don't try recipes that sound complicated or outside my comfort zone during the week. Getting practice in when there's time to screw up and start over means I'm not stressed and hangry at 9pm on a Tuesday.
    -I am hyper aware of how many dishes I'm using. I'll cut all my veggies before cutting meat so I only dirty one cutting board and knife. If I can get away with only using one pot, I do. I put my cooking/mixing dish on the food scale and weigh food directly instead of using measuring cups and spoons whenever possible. I'm very careful to buy dishwasher-safe items so the only things that ever have to be cleaned by hand are knives, pots, and pans.
    -Sometimes cleaning waits until the next morning, or even the next night. That's just how it is, and giving ourselves permission to be messy sometimes means we don't stress ourselves out when we're too tired to deal with it.

My sister-in-law HATES cooking. If her husband doesn't cook, she makes a sandwich (with pre-sliced bread and no veggies, so the only thing a knife is used for is to spread on mustard) or gets take-out. She's very uncomfortable in the kitchen - she hasn't ever practiced knife skills or basic cooking techniques - and her list of food she thinks she likes is very limited (as in, she won't try new foods because she's already convinced she'll hate them). She's content with the taste of convenience food and can afford it, so it leaves her with no motivation to learn a new skill.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    The worst part for me is going to the grocery store. I love to cook and I'm pretty good at it. I'll make whatever as long as I have the ingredients, so if someone else does the shopping I'll do the cooking. Plus, husband always cleans up afterwards so that's nice.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    Cleaning afterwards

Yes - clean up and dishes. I try to use as few pots as possible. I have a whole repertoire of one pot meals.
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    For me there are many factors, and different factors affect different days. Time, but not in the sense that it takes less time to grab food than cook, but in the I have so many errands to run that can't wait until the weekend. I have three young kids, and there are just some days I need to run errands that can't wait until the week that we'll go out after work, so we'll grab fast food while we're out. I have intentions of getting everything done, including meal planning, on the weekend, but it doesn't always happen.

Also energy, sometimes I just don't have the energy to cook, but those days aren't typically fast food days, more like the kids are going to eat cereal and I'll just eat these chips LOL.

And then there's the dishes...I loathe doing the dishes.

One last reason...I'm a terrible cook, I can follow a recipe exactly and it'll still come out bad LOL.

That said, I just started trying out Plated and Home Fresh, it's made me learn some cooking techniques that make cooking easier. Plus I don't have to plan the meals, or do the shopping for them. It's also given me new menu ideas, instead of being in such a rut with easy to cook meals.

When my husband is home things are a little easier because he does most of the cooking, or I'm just not as rushed as when I have to manage kid drop off AND pick up.
  • moniyq1994
    moniyq1994 Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2016
    For me I also think how you feel about cooking starts when your a kid. My mother cooked almost every day so I grew up on home-cooked meals and when I turned 16 she started teaching me to cook certain meals so she could have breaks from cooking on certain nights. Now I'm 22 and I developed a love for cooking and cook dinner nearly every night. However the biggest pain in the butt thing is my Fiancee he is extremely picky he hates almost all vegetable and fruits and if he does like them he likes them only one way and its a chore just to get him to eat those. I've learned how to use/create recipes that i can cook and then add the veggies or fruit to after separating his share. Ive become quite adept at this. His grandmother also makes cooking a pain in the butt because she doesnt allow cooking after 5 o'clock and i can only use the oven once a week and the stove top is broken so im limited to a foreman grill, an electric skillet, a toaster over, and the microwave. I've had to get really creative (i use the toaster oven as a mini oven often makes heavenly baked stuffed pork-chops) as for time im pretty good at planning a mix of quick and easy meals (ex hot dogs and homemade fries; i buy these yummy minimally processed mushroom and Swiss chicken hot dogs comes in 4 pack so 4 meals yay!!) and doing more complicated involved meals most of the time i cook from scratch but not always. I used to hate clean up till i discovered that listening to music while doing it makes it fun and the fiancee gets a kick out of watching me sing and dance while doing dishes and ect, LOL pus i try to clean up as much as I can while cooking
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »
    For me, as a single person, cooking every meal tends to be a chore, although I do enjoy cooking. Yes, that is a contradiction but it's mostly because of the clean up that I don't like. This is why I spend my Sunday mornings food prepping for the entire week. This way my kitchen gets messed up once and then cleaned.

My brother, who is a wonderful cook, and who taught me many things, included an important one when I first started cooking for my parents: Clean as you go. I practice this religiously and when I'm done, there's no mess to clean afterward.

This is what I do too! Anyone else do this or have other strateigies to share that makes cleaning more tolerable, or dare I say even enjoyable?
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the insightful answers! So I see that some of the unanimous pain points are:

1) Lack of time
    2) Lack of energy
    3) Challenge deciding what to make daily
    4) People really hate cleaning!
    5) Family member may not like what you make

It seems to boil down to lack of time and energy. It really appears to be the story of our lives when it comes to anything! For simplification purposes, let's just say cleaning is still part of the cooking process. After all, it does take time and energy. So what do you all think is the best way to make the best use of time and energy when it comes to meal planning, cooking, and cleaning? Should you:

A) buy precut produce or just cut all your produce in the beginning of the week so the ingredients are "restaurant ready" and you can start cooking right away?
    B. learn more general recipe "templates" or "guidelines" so you can easily make substitutions ie: recipe calls for 1 cup green leafy veggie, 2 tablespoon fat, 1 cup starch, 4 oz protein?
    C) Organize and simplify your kitchen? Maybe you have too many pots, pans, plates that you don't use daily causing you to wash too many unnecessary items?

Thanks again everyone for sharing! I would love to hear your thoughts!

I plan 28 dinners at a time. I divide that into groups of 7 and post the list in my kitchen and cross things off as we have them.
    I have a chalkboard in my kitchen and write down stuff as we run out. By the weekend I add stuff for the next weeks meals. I save my grocery list on the computer because we get a lot of the same stuff every week. I alter it and print out a new list.
    I've found that I can roate the same list of 28 dinners for a couple of months and my family is perfectly fine with that. Try a limited rotataing menu. If you make a menu for a week or month save it and reuse it in future. You don't have to rack your brain every day deciding what to eat if you don't want to.
    I plan to use leftovers. Say I cook a bunch of chicken. I can use that in salad, sandwiches, tacos, pizza, fried rice, casseroles, pasta, soup, etc. There are a lot of ways to use pre-cooked chicken. I can divide it up and put it in the freezer and it is ready to use. Same thing with beans, ham, turkey.
    I have a slow cooker. Most slow cooker recipes do not take long to prepare for cooking. Set it up and let it do its thing all day.
    I usually make soup once a week. Soup reheats or freezes well usually.
    I do no cook or low prep breakfasts and lunches. Lunches are often dinner leftovers.
    If I didn't use a dish it is not dirty and does not need to be washed. You could make more grilled, slow cooker, one pot, or casserole type dishes.
    I use a food processor to quickly shred, slice or chop things.

I love the rotating menu idea! I also love that you "pre-set" your meals! Thanks for sharing!
  • SoulReckoning
    SoulReckoning Posts: 48 Member
    CONS: I HATE DOING DISHES

PROS: Less Expensive, I control what I eat and the nutritional value of the meals, it's always fresh, I get to use my fancy kitchen which is rewarding in and of itself!