No happier after weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. I have been working out, 6 days per week lifting ever since I started my diet, I have to say I never get the endorphin rush, never did. I get the satisfaction of having done it after I finish though and that's about the height of it.

I go to the gym everyday too. Never have really gotten to like it though, but I am glad to get it out of the way for the day (I go very early before work).

It really is hard to get over being picked on as a child. It truly does something to self esteem. All you can do is know what you are accomplishing now. It is awesome, and so are you!

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    There is a myth that some of us fat people tell ourselves--namely that all of our problems (health, family, relationship, financial, and otherwise) will go away when we are thin, we will become the person we''re supposed to be.

Variations on this myth are that we will be loved when we are thin, or the will be happy when we're thin, or that we'll not be bat-*kitten* crazy when we're thin.

The truth of the matter is that we are who we are.

I only need to look at my coworkers and friends to find examples of skinny people people who wish they could change major aspects of their lives, who have serious problems (health, family, relationship, financial, and otherwise), who are not happy, who have not found the love they deserve, and who are also bat-*kitten* crazy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's worth it for your health...but really, being happy with yourself and happy in life doesn't really have anything to do with some number on the scale. There are plenty of lean people are are unhappy/depressed, etc.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I think I'd be in the same boat except I also had a serious reality check to my self - judgement.

I didn't realize how much I'd linked my sense of self worth to my career until illness fixed me to step back. I became very depressed, into I realigned my thinking. The thing that upset me wasn't my not working, or my illness, or my weight per se, but the idea I held unconsciously that my value as a human being was in what I did. Of course, that's absurd and I don't hold anyone else to that standard. Doubly absurd as I'm a Christian, but there you have it. Once I realized that, and addressed it, life became ever so much better even without my circumstances changing.

I don't know what your underlying pain is. You probably don't yet either. But it's worth finding and coming to terms. I wish you the best.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I have been working out, 6 days per week lifting ever since I started my diet, I have to say I never get the endorphin rush, never did. I get the satisfaction of having done it after I finish though and that's about the height of it.

I go to the gym everyday too. Never have really gotten to like it though, but I am glad to get it out of the way for the day (I go very early before work).

It really is hard to get over being picked on as a child. It truly does something to self esteem. All you can do is know what you are accomplishing now. It is awesome, and so are you!

About exercise high, I recommend you guys try sports. I play with so many people and I'm constantly amazed how everyone is so excited about doing the same hard work over and over. They come out consistently.

Exercise alone feels tedious and challenging to my mind though I can do it.

During the exercise it's just "mental pain" but for hours afterward I do feel very good physically.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    A lot of good thoughts on this thread already. I've found that being overweight is a symptom of unhappiness, not the cause--but sometimes a mask to stay that way. If you've dealt with your relationship with food, that's great, and now it's time to improve your relationship with yourself.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Everyone's given really good advice.

I'll just add, while we lose weight we're constantly focused on this thing we need to 'fix' and on what is 'wrong' with us. It's hard to change the mindset when you've lost that really, there was nothing wrong with you the whole time. You were strong and capable of great things before, and are now also capable. Maybe try to focus on some new goals that aren't scale related. Achieving weight loss can make us think we are accomplishing something and when the loss stops we lose those feelings of accomplishment. Try to find new mountains to climb, new goals to achieve, new barriers to break. This can be either fitness or personal or anything really.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I get what you guys are getting at though, Its the same with folks who win the lottery, they assumed once they had millions they'd he happy, I guess we all do but its true what they say money doesn't buy happiness and neither does weight loss, sure its a good thing I've lost the weight and I am still planning on cutting until I get into single digit body fat percentage but as you say there is more to this. Someone once said happiness is an inside job and its very much true, I just have to figure out what happiness is to me.

I have one practice that for me literally changed how I thought about life. I used to be pretty negative. I never thought I was miserable really just things sucked and I wanted to talk about and talk about it and talk some more. It was poisoning me and I was allowing it to. I saw this ridiculous practice on facebook one day that was called 100 happy days. For 100 days you posted one thing about your day that made you happy along with a picture. I did this just because but, every since it was over I feel I focus on what is right with my life instead of what's wrong. Even if the only thing that day that made you happy was having an amazing lunch it is what you focus on. It really does help!
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    A thinner body, more money, more stuff, etc will not make you happy. This is something that you need to turn inward to figure out.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A while ago i started looking at my life and all the activities in it, asking myself, "am i doing this for myself or to make others happy?" I found a lot of things in my life that I was just doing to make others happy, destroying my own happiness.