Jogging

Options
How do you feel about it? We're you self conscious starting out (I am) and about how long do you run and often?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It's normal to be self-conscious. Others tend to be focused on themselves and won't remember you. Unless you're jogging like the Prancercise woman. B)

As far as scheduling, you can't go wrong following the C25K program. Also check Youtube for "how to run", to learn the common form errors. Also get fitted by the staff at a good running shoe store. :+1:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm self conscious about nothing. I'm sure I looked super stupid when I started, but I'm too self-centered to worry about that kind of thing. Character defect, I guess. I have also been known to dance on the elliptical.....so I'm probably not a good judge.

I'd also recommend c25k app. It worked for me.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of C25K and am so self-conscious, I started going out at 5:00 a-freakin-m so no one would see me. Being it's still COLD here, I've given that up and now head to my community gym at off hours to hit the treadmill. I don't look at anyone, I put in my earbuds and focus on the timer.

I hope someday I'll get over this nonsense, but there you go.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I started out very self-conscious and only jogged on the treadmill. Lately though, the self-consciousness seems to have evaporated, because now I'm like YEAH, let's go running outside! Who care who sees me, I need to get my workout! I still jog slow AF but I figure I'm doing better than sitting on the couch.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have never run in my life. I started the c25k program and am currently on week 5. I jog very, very......very slowly. But the fact that I have even gotten this far fills me with pride and wonder. And I have seen that most people i come across on the trails are very supportive. So go for it!

I'm also on week 5 in c25k. This morning was day 1 for me.

I'm proud and surprised to find myself not only running, but looking forward to running. And how i enjoy the bit of fatigue at the end.

I've also had to learn to slow my jogging down considerably, and now that i've come to terms with it, i find it quite calming to be out for a bit of a jog. I can definitely see myself going out for a several-miles jog a few times a week in the near future.

As for people on the path - i have never noticed anyone unfriendly, or judgmental. Some people are absorbed in their own world and simply don't acknowledge me, and almost everyone else returns my friendly wave and "good morning" as we pass.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years. I give a friendly wave to any other runner I happen to cross paths with while out. I could care less about how fast our slow they go. Fact is we're all in this together.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have found other walkers/joggers/runners to be friendly but truly just focus on their own workout. I just wave/smile and do my own thing.

Otherwise, anyone else who feels like "commenting" is getting lapped :P
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Just don't trip when you're in sight of others.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Just don't trip when you're in sight of others.

I always speed up when I see other people!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Never have been self-conscious about running, even when out of shape, not sure why not. At this point I've run off and on for years, so know no one else is paying attention, and also live in an area with lots of runners, so don't think I'd stand out (and know I don't watch or think about how anyone is running).

My running varies depending on what I'm training for and what else I do (cross training). Currently I run about 4 days per week with one long run (around 13 miles), and other runs between 4 and 8 miles with some hills and speed work. I try to run home from work (I have a backpack for my things) a couple times a week (it's 6-8 miles depending on route).
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Shortly after I started running, using the C25K podcasts, I realised that if anyone was looking at me then they had no idea how long I'd been running, and what sort of session I was doing. Essentially the opinion of others didn't matter because tey knew nothing about me or what I was doing.

Other runners would acknowledge me, regardless of whether I was doing 90 second run/ walk intervals or not. And now I acknowledge other runners when I see them.

Someone who sees me running has no idea if I've been running for 10 minutes or 4 hours.

This is so true!
  • wonko221
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I just finished c25k. Today I did my second 30 min run. Fri I ran with a friend, so today was the first time alone. I turn 61 this week and 2 yrs ago I couldn't walk more than 1/4 mile. My running pace (15.5 per mile) is only 1 min per mile faster than walking. I plan to work my way up to 40 min, then start focusing on speed. So good luck to everyone currently in progress.

Fantastic! Congratulations on this major turn-around.

That cloud of huffing-puffing dust on the horizon behind you.. that's me.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Yes I was really self conscious when I started. Used to wear more clothes than I needed so I could cover up as much as possible. I consider myself a shy person in general, and I can't believe how soon that wore off. I no longer care. Most runners wave or smile at me like I'm one of them. The occasional thumbs up / high five can seem patronizing, but I know they mean well.
  • JoshuaJarrett
    JoshuaJarrett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Did my first day and yes I had Somone give me a hard time but idc I liked running for some reason it was fun and that person giving me a hard time was well over 250lbs around 5ft 5 but any way c25k was great I had to stop the clock on walk to catch my breath before the 7th jog I finished around 18minutes per mile but I'll get better and I'm happy, so thanks guys
  • wonko221
    Options
    Did my first day and yes I had Somone give me a hard time but idc I liked running for some reason it was fun and that person giving me a hard time was well over 250lbs around 5ft 5 but any way c25k was great I had to stop the clock on walk to catch my breath before the 7th jog I finished around 18minutes per mile but I'll get better and I'm happy, so thanks guys

Good job! Starting the program is a big step, and will get you so far, so quickly!

The advice i read a lot when i was starting, and which clicked for me around week 2 or 3, was to jog slowly! You don't want to run out of breath; you want to jog slowly enough that you could carry on a short conversation.

My first few runs, i would chug along until i was gasping; but as i learned to control my breathing, breathe from my diaphragm ("belly breathing") and slow my running pace a bit, i have come to enjoy my c25k mornings immensely!
  • Jcimon
    Jcimon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started out very self-conscious and only jogged on the treadmill. Lately though, the self-consciousness seems to have evaporated, because now I'm like YEAH, let's go running outside! Who care who sees me, I need to get my workout! I still jog slow AF but I figure I'm doing better than sitting on the couch.

I love that you threw AF in there!!
  • cbrunenkant
    cbrunenkant Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Awesome! I'm in week 5 of C25K right now. I was self-conscious about people watching me and making comments about the chubby guy try to run. I found that C25K helped me get excited about improving and boost my confidence every time I was able to move on to the next week. They might seem like baby steps, but it's really fun to see your progress and to think about the hard work you've put in to get there. It's taken me 12 weeks to get to C25K week 5 but I'm also down 30 pounds since I started! I've also found that almost everybody I come across is supportive and not judgmental.

Keep up the good work and don't throw in the towel! Don't worry if it takes longer than 8 weeks to complete the program either!