Yay, found a Weightloss shake made with REAL sugar!

Options

Replies

• coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Amfmmama: The carnation powder is OK, but the downside is it doesn't blend well with ice, like in slimfast. It gets watery fast, and if you add too much ice to blender, the flavor of your powder will disappear. Find it mixes very well with 2 tbsp.creamy peanut butter, especially the milk chocolate flavor powder, and use a little less ice. I found this method on Livestrong.com. it's nice, too, because it contains vitamins, and is convenient in the packet form, ESP when you gotta take it to work. Also waiting for small pack of chocolate protein powder from Nutrisystem on ebay, which is made with Sucralose. Kinda weary of this, but, it got fantastic reviews on many sites related to this Nutrisystem protein shake. So we'll see. Hope it tastes decent.

Pearblossom: rather have real sugar in my food/drinks/diet shakes, than the artificial crap-sweeteners. I'm just one of those sensitive people that respond differently to certain ingredients, and by golly, ASPARTAME is one of them. If I have diet ice tea or SF jello just once a day X a few days, I will get debilitating headaches!!! Lasting day into night. No fun. So that's why I stay away from it, and try to avoid it if I can. Never had a reaction to real sugar, I just have to be more aware of how much sugar per serving, etc., and not overdo it with sugar. Yeah, I know it don't help when it comes to weightloss, but slimfast is helping greatly with my portion control, which currently, is a real, big problem. Rather drink slimfast, than eat bread w/PB & J, which is turning into ALOT of sugar, anywayanyway, and then I wind up feeling real tired and no energy later in the day. Since I began slimfast, I have alot more energy, and dont get that horrible, cranky, sleepy mode at 5 - 6:30 PM anymore. Gotta stay awake and be in a nice mood when I help get child ready for bed. Rather not be a monster mom when I spend time with my child. I get bloated real bad with breads, and I find slimfast is slowly helping with belly bloat, too!!! Rught now, real belly bloat cuz i had 2 slices of excellent italian bread with dinner. Oh was it good, but it really shot up my calorie count for today. Thanks and have a nice evening to all! Looking forward to tomorrow, another day of making positive strides toward this weight-loss and healthy lifestyle "journey".
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @PattyBanzhof1 Have you considered making your own smoothie? This is what I do, and have perfect control of what I put in there, as well as the macros.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Patty- kudos to you for being civil to all those critiquing your journey. Each and everyone of us is on our OWN journey and must do what works for us. My god it was mind boggling to read the continuing harassment. Artificial sweeteners are in no way shape or form good for anyone. The ARTIFICIAL in the name is the clue here people. If you want to put that chemically created crap into your body by all means do so. I also have issues with them but mine are bladder related. Hubby gave up diet soda and dropped 10 pounds with no other changes. Again, glad you found something that works for you! Stay classy Patty and good luck on your journey.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    [/quote] We know how artificial sweeteners work. They're not detrimental to your health and it's not possible to drop 10 pounds from removing something with 0 calories from your diet.[/quote]

So wait, now I am a liar? Ugh. Again, just talking about MY EXPERIENCES. Not sure why you would think I would make something up, I have no reason. This is the reason I post so little. Some people are so rude and obnoxious and make these one size fits all statements. You can't possibly, it's not possible, there's no way..... My mother drilled into me when I was little, "If you do not have something nice to say Michele, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING at all." This is sound advice I am passing along.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    We know how artificial sweeteners work. They're not detrimental to your health and it's not possible to drop 10 pounds from removing something with 0 calories from your diet.

Sometimes I can see some water weight retention if I drink a bunch of diet soda the day before (like 2-3cans), which falls off the next day if I don't drink any. But it's definitely anecdotal, could be all kinds of crap.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Berkgal33 wrote: »
    We know how artificial sweeteners work. They're not detrimental to your health and it's not possible to drop 10 pounds from removing something with 0 calories from your diet.[/quote]

So wait, now I am a liar? Ugh. Again, just talking about MY EXPERIENCES. Not sure why you would think I would make something up, I have no reason. This is the reason I post so little. Some people are so rude and obnoxious and make these one size fits all statements. You can't possibly, it's not possible, there's no way..... My mother drilled into me when I was little, "If you do not have something nice to say Michele, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING at all." This is sound advice I am passing along.
    [/quote]

I'm saying you attribute someone's weight loss to something that can't possibly be the cause.
    Yes, can't possibly. As in "with this, gravity doesn't apply to you" not possibly.
    This has nothing to do with rudeness, but with reality.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Berkgal33 wrote: »
    We know how artificial sweeteners work. They're not detrimental to your health and it's not possible to drop 10 pounds from removing something with 0 calories from your diet.

Except no one was not being nice, just correcting false info. That phrase doesn't mean that you should only speak if you agree with them person and if you don't agree to stay silent.
  • coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Let's all just TRY to not be so "defensive" if you wanna call it that, RESPECT each other's beliefs and not be so nit-picky. Just shut up already. I'm starting to get a headache from all this, and it's not ASPARTAME -related, either. Please try to keep FOCUSED on our weightloss and/or healthy lifestyle goals, which is why we're all on this MFP site, anyway, right?? If you're here to nit-pick and *kitten* up a storm, then go post your anger somewhere else. Little did I realize MFP had such angry, stressed-out, and unwelcoming members!!!
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think you aren't understanding that sugar is not healthier than artificial sweeteners. I can agree to everything in moderation but sugar has its own negative affects on your body.

The answer here is eat real food as much as possible.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Let's all just TRY to not be so "defensive" if you wanna call it that, RESPECT each other's beliefs and not be so nit-picky. Just shut up already. I'm starting to get a headache from all this, and it's not ASPARTAME -related, either. Please try to keep FOCUSED on our weightloss and/or healthy lifestyle goals, which is why we're all on this MFP site, anyway, right?? If you're here to nit-pick and *kitten* up a storm, then go post your anger somewhere else. Little did I realize MFP had such angry, stressed-out, and unwelcoming members!!!

Facts care little for your beliefs.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I mean seriously, just drink some milk. This shake is a waste of time and calories. Do what makes you happy, but you are just drinking sugar.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    Patty, I love that you are keeping it positive, even with the haters!! It's great that you have found a shake that is working for you. I used to have a shake for breakfast every morning. It's convenient, quick and fit in my diet. Now, I have switched it up and will grab one when I need one. I have never tried the carnation, but maybe I will give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip!

Haters?! Lol oh how I love that word. Haters....as in jealous? Yeah I'm jealous she is drinking a chocolate shake for breakfast, a shake I can go to the store and buy for myself......but I know, I'm so jealous. I gotta put that hateraide down!! ( unless it helps me lose weight)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Cheri1218 wrote: »
    Why do so many people sound angry on here? Relax people! It's just a shake! Tastes good, filling for some people, a set number of calories, offers more nutrition than chocolate milk. She likes it. No big deal.

Are you sure about this?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    So I had to come see what all the fuss was about !
    What is this shake ? Could someone post the macros and nutritional info ? I'm just curious because I never tasted it and do like sugar :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    So I had to come see what all the fuss was about !
    What is this shake ? Could someone post the macros and nutritional info ? I'm just curious because I never tasted it and do like sugar :)

Weirdly enough I used to drink them in high school for a while when I was too lazy to get up in time to make breakfast (I hate cold cereal, so for me making breakfast was cooking eggs or making some oatmeal). I don't remember them being that great, but tasty enough, basically like the way a decent protein powder tastes. (I wouldn't recommend them for a teenager now, of course, and they may not taste the same at all.)

(I didn't lose weight when drinking them, but I wasn't trying to and didn't need to.)

Macros and nutritional nothing to write home about:

130 calories plus whatever is in the milk you mix it with.

5 g protein, 27 g carbs, .5 g fat. Seems to be fortified with various vitamins.

Ingredients:

NONFAT MILK, SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), LACTOSE, AND LESS THAN 2% OF DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM HYDROXIDE, SODIUM ASCORBATE (VITAMIN C), SOY LECITHIN, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (IRON SOURCE), CORNSTARCH, ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), NIACINAMIDE, SALT, COPPER GLUCONATE, ZINC OXIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE (PANTOTHENIC ACID), MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), BIOTIN, VITAMIN K1 (PHYTONADIONE), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN D3 (CHOLECALCIFEROL), VITAMIN B12 (CYANOCOBALAMIN).