Losing my favorite asset....

Options
I've been changing my eating habits and exercising for the last 20 days. I have lost 4 pounds so far. I'm 5'2 and currently 112 lbs. I'm trying to gain muscle and lose fat but to my dismay my butt is definitely shrinking faster then other areas. Long story short is there any way to gain muscle mass and still keep my "asset" but just in a more improved way? What exercises could help? I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred yesterday and didnt know if that would help. Thank you!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Ya can't spot reduce or spot gain. Shake that groove thang.
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You can build those muscles.

Squats, lunges, donkey-kicks, box-jumps. All good for boo-tay gains. Gains will be hard on a deficit, but these are still great exercises to do now.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options

You can spot gain, but not really in a deficit.
  • Rebecca_MT
    Rebecca_MT Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im slowly decreasing my calorie deficit so hopefully it'll help!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    There's always your personality.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    While you can't choose where fat comes off, strength training has the possibility of improving your butt. I'm actually in the process of switching from Stronglifts (a strength based lifting program that only uses 5 compound lifts) to Strong Curves (which is supposed to focus more on those glutes), because well my butt is flat. The book has a beginners program, an advanced program and a body weight program in it. I bought the kindle version a couple days ago. My current debate is finishing out this week with stronglifts or just opting out of lifting for the week and starting up Strong Curves next week.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    walk uphill. squat. do lunges. ride horses.
  • Rebecca_MT
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    There's always your personality.

That one's a given
  • Rebecca_MT
    Options
    While you can't choose where fat comes off, strength training has the possibility of improving your butt. I'm actually in the process of switching from Stronglifts (a strength based lifting program that only uses 5 compound lifts) to Strong Curves (which is supposed to focus more on those glutes), because well my butt is flat. The book has a beginners program, an advanced program and a body weight program in it. I bought the kindle version a couple days ago. My current debate is finishing out this week with stronglifts or just opting out of lifting for the week and starting up Strong Curves next week.

How has the program been working for you?
  • LBirkholz725
    LBirkholz725 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Squats are a girl's best friend! ;)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Google Bret Contreras. He wrote Strong Curves and he is "the" butt man in the evidence-based fitness blogging/writing/seminar industry.
  • Rebecca_MT
    Options
    @sunnybeaches105
    Thanks! Im probably going to buy the book from him :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Squats. Different kinds of them, not just one kind (in other words, with your feet/legs in various (safe) positions. Also you may find Bret Contreras a good resource. He is "the glute guy."
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Rebecca_MT wrote: »

How has the program been working for you?

Haven't started yet. I'll be starting next week and I'm thinking I'll either take pics weekly or every other week for comparison. I want reread a few chapters before I start.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

You can definitely spot gain by building muscle (I have a bigger butt and smaller waist now - which wouldn't be possible unless I'd lost fat overall and gained muscle in a specific area). To gain muscle on your butt you'll need:

1. Calorie surplus;
    2. Adequate protein (2xbody weight in kgs is ballpark);
    3. Strength training - progressive overload; and
    4. Exercises that directly target your glutes in multiple planes and with varying rep ranges, 3-4 times a week.

I also recommend Bret Contreras as a source of information/programming - I did Strong Curves for 12 weeks and it's the best my butt has ever looked.

• Rebecca_MT
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just bought the book on my phone. I was expecting it to be dry but I'm surprisingly sucked in lol. I'll probably read it through while still trying to slim down (fat) and then start trying to build back up with muscle.
  • CajunCher2005
    CajunCher2005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wish it was that easy. Plastic surgery is probably your best bet.
  • Rebecca_MT
    Options
    Wish it was that easy. Plastic surgery is probably your best bet.

Plastic surgery would definitely be easier but with all my student loan debt and being only 19 I find it nearly impossible lol I feel like working out for a fit butt would be more rewarding!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Rebecca_MT wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I just bought the book on my phone. I was expecting it to be dry but I'm surprisingly sucked in lol. I'll probably read it through while still trying to slim down (fat) and then start trying to build back up with muscle.

That was the path I took. I lost until I was lean enough to bulk. My big butt got pretty flat. Once I started doing a lot of the lifts in the Strong Curves book in a surplus I gained 3 inches back and now I'm cutting again to see if any of it is muscle. It's a process. And I guess I'm not building my dream butt in one bulk and cut cycle lol.
  • Rebecca_MT
    Options
    @arditarose
    Thats honestly what scares me about bulking! (If anyone can shine light on this that'd be great) When I gain weight it is mainly in my thighs and its predominantly fat, which is what im trying to lose. I'm nervous that if I "bulk" it'll be counter productive to what I'm currently trying to achieve with my calorie deficit (less body fat).