Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Rebecca_MT wrote: »
    @arditarose
    Thats honestly what scares me about bulking! (If anyone can shine light on this that'd be great) When I gain weight it is mainly in my thighs and its predominantly fat, which is what im trying to lose. I'm nervous that if I "bulk" it'll be counter productive to what I'm currently trying to achieve with my calorie deficit (less body fat).

When you bulk you need to have a heavy lifting program with a progressive overload set up. You should probably not do it as a beginner lifter. You can see changes by lifting in maintenance and trying a body recomp if that's the case.

When you're bulking you are lifting heavy in a surplus so you will gain some muscle, as well as fat. Of course it's counter productive to what you're doing at the moment. Because you want to lose fat. But once you lose the fat and you're lean enough (not more than 22% body fat), and you want to gain muscle/change your physique...you make a decision between a bulk or a recomp.
  • Rebecca_MT
    Rebecca_MT Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    @arditarose
    Thats honestly what scares me about bulking! (If anyone can shine light on this that'd be great) When I gain weight it is mainly in my thighs and its predominantly fat, which is what im trying to lose. I'm nervous that if I "bulk" it'll be counter productive to what I'm currently trying to achieve with my calorie deficit (less body fat).

When you bulk you need to have a heavy lifting program with a progressive overload set up. You should probably not do it as a beginner lifter. You can see changes by lifting in maintenance and trying a body recomp if that's the case.

When you're bulking you are lifting heavy in a surplus so you will gain some muscle, as well as fat. Of course it's counter productive to what you're doing at the moment. Because you want to lose fat. But once you lose the fat and you're lean enough (not more than 22% body fat), and you want to gain muscle/change your physique...you make a decision between a bulk or a recomp.

Thank you for explaining! I've heard of a "lean bulk" would this be a better option since I've never done any serious lifting? I had a trainer but with my school schedule it was too much so I know basic moves but I feel like I would look silly walking into the weight section of the gym as I have always stuck with cardio!
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    @arditarose

Thank you for explaining! I've heard of a "lean bulk" would this be a better option since I've never done any serious lifting? I had a trainer but with my school schedule it was too much so I know basic moves but I feel like I would look silly walking into the weight section of the gym as I have always stuck with cardio!

I think your best bet is to get on a lifting program NOW. First of all, it's going to help you maintain muscle mass/lose less muscle at the moment (we lose muscle along with fat unfortunately), and you'll have a better baseline once you're at goal weight. Second, you'll have more time practicing the lifts and be a little more experienced for when you start upping your calories. Programs that are tried and true: Strong Lifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves (this is the booty program, you can start it now), All Pros Beginner Routine, Starting Strength.

I think the best option would be to start one of these, get to your desired body fat %, and then decide what to do. Honestly you might want to lift in maintenance for a bit before a bulk.

A lean bulk is just a 250 calorie surplus. A half pound per week gain. That's what I did...though a little fast because it was during the holidays. I definitely got chubby but after 3-4 weeks of cutting I feel relatively lean again.
  • Rebecca_MT
    Rebecca_MT Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @arditarose
    Thank you so much for all the information! I'll probably start the Strong Curves program in the next couple days and get in the gym to start lifting. I'll eat at my maintenance calories as well.
  • arditarose
    Options
    @arditarose
    Thank you so much for all the information! I'll probably start the Strong Curves program in the next couple days and get in the gym to start lifting. I'll eat at my maintenance calories as well.

Awesome! Great program. Love Bret Contreras.