Low Calorie Alcoholic Beverages!

Options

Replies

• lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    vodka with tonic and a good twist of lime. I had to work on aquiring the taste for it (i used to go for the sugary drinks), but I know I can have one and still enjoy.

Tonic is soda so calories and sugar.. I like absolute wild tea with club soda and a lime. 69 calories if you use 1 oz of vodka. You said no vodka so you can try malibu rum (only 51 cal per oz) with club soda or flavored club soda for a really low cal drink.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I used to make my own Mojitos. Rum or citrus rum, diet sprite, lime juice and mint leaves on ice. I quit drinking alcohol as the sweet drinks sabotaged my clean eating. I stay away from sugar as much as possible as it is so addicting and the more you use the more you want. That includes artificial sweeteners as well, but that's just me as I have a nasty sweet tooth.
  • xmas310
    xmas310 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the Skinny Girl Margharita? It became popular on one of the Housewives Series. Here is a link to the recipe.
    http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/skinny-margarita-cocktail-recipes
    You can use a splash of orange juice and leave off the Grand Marnier/Contreau, and you can make it more diluted with clubsoda. The trick though, is no sugary margharita mix, but lime juice instead. I would bring a splenda if it is too sour. Some bars add splenda. :smile:
  • Ellastrong
    Ellastrong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas!! Just in time for bbq season!
  • linzoglesby
    linzoglesby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I stick to vodka with soda water and lime. It's actually very refreshing and the only calories are from the vodka. It tastes likes sparkling water with lime.
  • tpark952
    tpark952 Posts: 4
    Options
    anything that in clear liquid with seltzer water, club soda or diet soda. If your not a beer drinker this may help...I used a drop of flavored Mio water in my beer...took that nasty taste away.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I know you said without vodka... so first off all I want to address your bias... since I'm a bartender... and I LOVE vodka... vodka will taste like whatEVER you mix with it... it is the only spirit that will do that... it has very little taste of its own...
    But I do understand that everyone has their own life experiences.. and if you had a bad experience with vodka.. nothing will take that away..lol

But for an education on alcohol...

Clear liquors tend to have less calories than dark liquors.... anything called a Liqueur has added sugar and should be avoid.. (ie Schnapps, cordials.. ect) and just because something is called "rum" doesn't mean it is... MOST flavored rums are actually cordials... and as per above... should be avoided....

That said... clear rum... like bacardi.... but not FLAVORED bacardi's or parrot bay... are ok...
    Vodka is ok....
    Clear tequila is ok....

It's really the mixers that get you... coke zero and pepsi max are your friends...
    Anything diet is obviously better than anything not...

Fruit juices while high in vitamins tend to also be high in sugar which translates into high in calories..

and Club Soda is better for you than tonic

I personally recommend... going to the grocery store and buying a container of MIO (your personal water enhancer) in your favorite flavor... I recommend Strawberry Watermelon or Berry Pomegranate... then when you go to the bar you order your liquor of choice and water... and add the MIO to taste... MIO has 0 calories and tastes very sweet (if u want it to) My very favorite is strawberry vodka and water with strawberry watermelon MIO added to taste...

There are LOTS of ways to reduce calories on alcohol.. the problem is remembering them when you are wasted...LOL...

Anyone needing diet alcohol help... I'm your girl... ;-)

bump
  • Destinie91
    Options
    Very helpful! I do alot of promo work at different bars and clubs and its hard to pass up a drink or two:) But now I know I can drink and not feel so guilty about it on the morning!
  • gglitha
    gglitha Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love this one Sunkist Diet sparkling lemonade with 1 shot silver rum and 3/4 shot sour Apple Pucker. It's is a delish hard lemonade.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Do the calories even matter if you puke them back up?! :D
  • lvmermaid
    lvmermaid Posts: 3
    Options
    I was looking around for you on the internet and found the following sites for low calorie alcoholic drinks:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/drinks/wine/low-calorie-summer-drink-recipes/ - 9 recipes for yummy drinks

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meals-and-menus/holidays-and-entertaining/entertaining/top-low-calorie-alcoholic-drin?slide=28479 - Several recipes

These sites all have pictures and everything looks pretty good! Enjoy!
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I usually go for Vodka Lime and Diet Lemonade, but I used to HATE vodka and wouldn't touch the stuff. If I put enough lime and lemonade in it takes away the taste of vodka.

Most bars dont do diet lemonade so at those times I will be more inclined to change it to soda water which I don't particularly like either but I am getting used to the taste the more I drink it.

I usually have to ask the bartender to put a little more lime in there to take away some more of the vodka though but im getting there :)
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    vodka with tonic and a good twist of lime. I had to work on aquiring the taste for it (i used to go for the sugary drinks), but I know I can have one and still enjoy.

Tonic is soda so calories and sugar.. I like absolute wild tea with club soda and a lime. 69 calories if you use 1 oz of vodka. You said no vodka so you can try malibu rum (only 51 cal per oz) with club soda or flavored club soda for a really low cal drink.

Not if it's diet soda water, therefore no cals/
  • Amanda2760
    Amanda2760 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Check out the Cocktail Cheat Sheet on weight watchers website! Some good tips there too!
  • divanikki
    divanikki Posts: 12
    Options
    that sounds yummy
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    bump!
  • ChaZilla2
    Options
    What if I'm not at a bar and just want to get something low cal from the convenience store for a gathering?
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    obviously, the sweeter the drink, the more calories.. a shot of distilled liquor (whiskey, vodka, etc) is about 65 calories.. add in an couple of ounces of juice (another 40-60 cal), you're up to about 100-125 calories.. Add the sweet syrups or an ounce of sweet liqueur (120-175 cal) and a sweet cocktail is worse than a couple cans of reg Coke. it's easy to see how a Long Island Iced Tea is a good 300 calories or so..

My drink of choice is Jack Daniels & Diet Coke... 65 calories.

Actually, an ounce of liquor is closer to 100 calories, and most bars measure anywhere from 1 to 2.5 ounces as a shot. Sorry to burst your low-cal bubble, but I'm a bartender. :ohwell:
  • colortheworld
    Options
    I'm laughing (politely) at those of you suggesting ginger ale or tonic as a low-calorie mixer! LOL. Both have about 140 cal. / serving.

The lowest calorie mixed drink is gin or vodka (60-80 cal. / oz.) with club soda (0 cal.).

I LOVE gin & tonic... but I'm not deluding myself that it's low-cal.

They're probably thinking soda water or club soda, not tonic. I used to think it was the same. Then I became a bartender. :laugh:
  • colortheworld
    Options
    As a general rule, the lighter the liquor the lower the calories per ounce.
    I usually use club soda and a splash of juice, or diet as a mixer.
    As far as drinking outside of a bar, Skinnygirl has some premade drinks and low-cal wines that aren't too bad. And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Smirnoff has some low-cal flavored vodkas? I've never tried them. Low-cal drinks are becoming more popular.
    There's also quite a few low-cal beers. I drank Coors Light or Bud Light for awhile. Then I found out Guiness isn't that much higher calorie, and I love me a good dark beer. Yum. :happy: