Strength training for distance running.

Options
I am currently training for a half in September and full in October. I run 4 days a week and do PiYo three days a week. I would like to add 1-2 days of weights but hate to overdo it. What is the best strength training while running distance (body weight, low weight high rep or high weight low rep).

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe for strength training low reps high weights.

I lift heavy and run (not for distance) now...I lifted for 2 years before I started running and I do compound lifts like weight low bar squats and dead lifts.

I found that when I started running (on non leg lifting days) that my legs did not get "tired" at all...ever.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    ^^^ Good advice from SezxyStef. Power/Strength training is the name of the game for distance athletes. You already get all your endurance training from your other training.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for a half in September and full in October. I run 4 days a week and do PiYo three days a week. I would like to add 1-2 days of weights but hate to overdo it. What is the best strength training while running distance (body weight, low weight high rep or high weight low rep).

Run more. No lifting will be as useful for running then running more will be.
    In other words, running is the best use of your time to be a faster runner.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What is your specific goal(s) in adding in the strength training into your routine? Obviously if it is important to you to get stronger generally then a high weight / low rep routine will be more targeted to that goal.

If your goal is something else (e.g to get faster as a runner) your efforts may be best suited elsewhere.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My goal is to get toned. I am not necessarily looking to get faster:).
  • haugentimo
    haugentimo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    IMO - If you are doing ultra-events (half is an ultra) you do need weights. However, with weights you need to build muscular endurance(ME). If you use too much weight and move too fast, you are building neuro-muscular strength not ME. You really need to to focus on weight with more reps and duration than you would think possible. I.E. Kettle Bell Lunges - 5 sets with 3-4 minute of reps. The number of reps are not important compared to the length of an individual rep. The slower you move and the more resistance your put on your muscles that more you will build that ME that you need for ultra.
    I have found the most effective cross training for me is Yoga Skulpt or Bar Class. These classes are focused on ME not NM. I use many of these movements in a 1hour class and I perform them on my own for desired workouts.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week and run 3 days and mix in swimming, pilates and stairs for variety. While I've never done a full, I do halves and ragnar every year. If you're not working on speed or have specific running goals beyond finishing your races, I would go low reps, heavy weight for your strength training.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Suggesting to not do resistance training or only doing muscular endurance resistance training is dangerous advice. That is the reason over 50% of runners get overuse injuries each year. Strength training is important because it improves running economy and greatly reduces the likelihood of overuse injuries.
  • msf74
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My goal is to get toned. I am not necessarily looking to get faster:).

Toned is generally meant to describe a look where a reasonable amount of muscle mass is shown off by relatively low body fat. Bearing this in mind you could use either approach and get good results.

Personally I would swap out some of the PiYo for a decent resistance training programme using compound movements 2-3 times a week while keeping calories in check and diet in good condition.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    haugentimo wrote: »
    IMO - If you are doing ultra-events (half is an ultra) you do need weights.

I'm not sure if there is a true definition but I was under the impression that an ultra event would be > Mara. Certainly in the UK these seem to be timed events (10hrs or 12hrs for example) or 32 miles or 50k and up.

And this stuff...
    haugentimo wrote: »
    However, with weights you need to build muscular endurance(ME). If you use too much weight and move too fast, you are building neuro-muscular strength not ME. You really need to to focus on weight with more reps and duration than you would think possible. I.E. Kettle Bell Lunges - 5 sets with 3-4 minute of reps. The number of reps are not important compared to the length of an individual rep. The slower you move and the more resistance your put on your muscles that more you will build that ME that you need for ultra.
    I have found the most effective cross training for me is Yoga Skulpt or Bar Class. These classes are focused on ME not NM. I use many of these movements in a 1hour class and I perform them on my own for desired workouts.

Seriously?

+1 for this suggestion...
    ^^^ Good advice from SezxyStef. Power/Strength training is the name of the game for distance athletes. You already get all your endurance training from your other training.

and @SezxyStef's comment
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

Run more. No lifting will be as useful for running then running more will be.
    In other words, running is the best use of your time to be a faster runner.

Disagree with this entirely. There's a reason to cross train and why athletes of all sports lift weights and not just "do more of whatever you're going to do". Cross training helps even out muscle imbalances and strengthen weak points. I was always a runner/soccer player and never touched weights until a couple years ago (25years of running/soccer with no weights). I could feel a noticeable difference in my speed and endurance when I started weight training along with my running that I never had when I was just running.

Strengthening those weak point also help to prevent injury as your body mechanics can be more natural/fluid and not change to compensate for those other weak areas.

All of that being said, I agree with the general consensus of lower reps/higher weights, 2-3x per week, full body lifting. That will give you the most bang for your buck and won't leave your muscles so tired from a leg day that you can't run the next.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Another vote for lifting heavy. I did Stronglifts 5x5 3x per week over the winter. Now that I'm upping mileage to train for a half, I switched to 3x5 2x per week. Lifting has been a huge benefit to my running. Hills are so easy I barely notice them and my hips & knees rarely bother me anymore.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I supplement my running with strength training. When I am not in a marathon training cycle, I use weights for my upper and lower body strength training. But during a training cycle, I only rely on body weight exercises for my lower body and core. I have found that adding weight just causes too much fatigue during my runs and has an overall negative impact when I am hitting 40+ miles per week. I also do yoga and pilates during marathon training. I think it's important for runners to keep a solid, strong core to help avoid injury.

• msf74
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I supplement my running with strength training. When I am not in a marathon training cycle, I use weights for my upper and lower body strength training. But during a training cycle, I only rely on body weight exercises for my lower body and core. I have found that adding weight just causes too much fatigue during my runs and has an overall negative impact when I am hitting 40+ miles per week. I also do yoga and pilates during marathon training. I think it's important for runners to keep a solid, strong core to help avoid injury.

That's a pretty good strategy I think.

Once passed the HM stage adequate recovery time will become a much bigger issue.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I agree with the general consensus, that strength training will help (low rep, high weights). Don't ignore strengthening your core too. Your back and abs are important. Please ensure to include lunges and/or squats. It swill strengthen the muscles in the knees, hamstrings, and gluts that otherwise wouldn't develop as fast as your quads will from the running. Balancing the strength of opposing muscle groups will reduce the chances of injury and discomfort.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Once passed the HM stage adequate recovery time will become a much bigger issue.

My experience agrees with this. I was doing a 5x5 program when I added in running. Once I got to the HM level, recovery became an issue and my lower body lift numbers suffered. I now am now a runner averaging 45 MPW with peaks of 60 MPW during training cycles, but I still try to incorporate strength training and ESPECIALLY core training to support my running and help with injury prevention. I have a prior/ongoing disc injury and without a strong core, I suffer. My core work is prescribed by my PT plan and similar to Pilates.

In terms of higher reps/lower weights vs. heavy weight/low reps training, I've seen reasoning like the above posts in this thread to support either, but no studies or solid evidence to support one vs. the other. I know some runners who do heavy 5x5, and some who do just bodyweight exercises at fairly high reps. I would choose the one that fits best with your preference and situation, but do incorporate some strength training into your program.
  • msf74
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

My experience agrees with this. I was doing a 5x5 program when I added in running. Once I got to the HM level, recovery became an issue and my lower body lift numbers suffered. I now am now a runner averaging 45 MPW with peaks of 60 MPW during training cycles, but I still try to incorporate strength training and ESPECIALLY core training to support my running and help with injury prevention. I have a prior/ongoing disc injury and without a strong core, I suffer. My core work is prescribed by my PT plan and similar to Pilates.

In terms of higher reps/lower weights vs. heavy weight/low reps training, I've seen reasoning like the above posts in this thread to support either, but no studies or solid evidence to support one vs. the other. I know some runners who do heavy 5x5, and some who do just bodyweight exercises at fairly high reps. I would choose the one that fits best with your preference and situation, but do incorporate some strength training into your program.

Yup.

I think it is important for endurance athletes to incorporate sensible resistance training into their routines to help with muscle imbalances and so on and for longer distances in a periodised manner as neccesary. Does it need to be strength training (in other words improving neuro-muscular adaptation or the ability of the CNS to move a heavy load?) Not really in my view although I would be open to seeing evidence that it has a particular benefit however.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Suggesting to not do resistance training or only doing muscular endurance resistance training is dangerous advice. That is the reason over 50% of runners get overuse injuries each year. Strength training is important because it improves running economy and greatly reduces the likelihood of overuse injuries.

I would agree based on my ownexperience regarding injuries. No issues when lifting while my non lifting friends we laid up during their running training

I tried a little different approach on lifting legs during one marathon training cycle. One leg day worked heavy basic movements 5-8 reps The next leg day did single leg work, squats deadlifts, linges, step ups, etc in the 8-12 rep range.

Seemed to work well for me. Appreciate any thoughts/comments
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I hated running, still do. BUT I tried it when I started loosing weight. Couldn't run a mile. A year or so later of doing stronglifts 5x5 went and bored ran a 5k. Yup just hoped on the trail and ran a 35min 5k after a lifting session at the gym. Not the fastest but not my goal. Lifting was enough cardio and muscle workout to make someone who couldn't do a mile be able to do 3 after a normal workout.

I would defiantly suggest adding in a nice lifting workout 2 or 3 days a week.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Go online and look up The Run Experience. Tons of great cross-training and strength training videos, plus very helpful drills, all based on running. The videos are free.