Strength training for distance running.

Options
2»

Replies

• Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert but I find building muscle will help. I cross train every other day, run 5 days a week and strength train at least 3 days, with deadlifting as the heaviest form of lifting I do. Personally, it hasn't hurt me any and I find that I've gradually gotten faster, of course that could just be from training. I've ran 2 halfs and several 5ks, 10ks, etc. currently in the middle of training for my first full marathon.

I got my running plan from here halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would recommend full body/core strength training. Stay away from iso lifting and stick with squats, deadlifts, free weights, and cable machines. There is not a great need to bench press or do bicep curls for runners.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    I am currently training for a half in September and full in October. I run 4 days a week and do PiYo three days a week. I would like to add 1-2 days of weights but hate to overdo it. What is the best strength training while running distance (body weight, low weight high rep or high weight low rep).

Run more. No lifting will be as useful for running then running more will be.
    In other words, running is the best use of your time to be a faster runner.

While I agree with your premise (that only running will make one a better runner), lifting can be hugely beneficial to avoiding injury. And hugely beneficial to a lot of other non-running aspects of your life. The OP is already running 4x a week. I think that's perfect.

Agree with what other folks are saying, 3x a week of a full body program. Drop the piyo if you are running out of time. Do whatever weight program you will stick with. Low reps / high weight will probably be the most immediately and aesthetically beneficial, but you may have different goals. Don't drop running below 3x a week unless you want to get worse at running (or don't care about making progress as a runner).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OP's goal is not to be a better runner. She's wanting to improve physical appearance.

OP, your best bet is to pick a progressive strength program that doesn't wear you out, and keep to a slight deficit. I think most people would be less wiped out with a power/strength focused program, keeping the weight high and reps low. But, some people will feel better with lower weights in the hypertrophy range.

One thing I can suggest, don't waste your time with isolation movements. Do whole body exercises. There's not enough bang for the buck with isolation moves and you'll want to be efficient in how you use your time and energy.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone's input. I may drop to PiYo 2 days and add strength 1 days:).
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Everybody is on the strength training bandwagon!
    I do it. I believe cross-training has benefits. I like lifting. BUT I can tell you it really interferes with your running!
    Try going out and running five miles at your usual speed the day after heavy deadlifting, and/or squatting.
    You will not be able to run your usual speed.
    If you are okay with being slower some days, that's fine. I am, because I think it is advantageous for me to have some days when I spare my body the pounding of running.
    But, if you are trying to race, or trying to get faster, or trying to go longer, it can be a bad thing to get used to running slower -- counterproductive, that is, to improving your running.
    Now, I have seen many of the running "strength" programs, like what Alberto Salazar does with his runners. It is NOT a heavy lifting program the way lifters think of a heavy lifting program. It is not like a 5x5 program or a Starting Strength program. They are usually kettlebells and barbell lunges. They do not call for squats in heavy sets of three reps, not for distance runners.
    I think we get a little confused on this website when the people who are primarily weightlifters answer this question. Yes, it is good to be well-rounded and have some strength if you are a runner. But, no, you really improve on strength training with heavy lifting and improve your running at the same time.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Some great responses here. From a running perspective, strength training is great. More running is also great up to a point. One word of advice is to do your weight training on a running "hard day," so that you can really recover on your "recovery days." All training (body building or running, etc) is built on stress followed by recovery. Both are critical for progress.