How do you stay within your cal limit while socializing??

Options

Replies

• jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Order the salmon; order a side salad instead of fries; drink water not alcohol; bring veggies to "potlucks"; tell everyone "that" makes you sick; make exercise playdates instead of at bars.

Or- Get pregnant, have a baby, and give up socializing.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I don't typically but due to my activity through the week and left over calories I am typically still in a calorie deficit.

but I do make smarter choices.

For example I will eat 3 wings not 6, drink vodka and club soda not spiced rum and rootbeer.

3 wings??????
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,855 Member
    Options
    There are two circumstances where I'd indulge: If I have caloric room to do so, or if I consciously decide to go over goal.

To me, it's only partly a "willpower" problem. Mainly, it's a "habits" problem.

Others have had good suggestions to make room in your calorie goals for extra indulgence. These may not work for you, but there are a few others I'd add, that have helped me in similar situations:
    1. Don't arrive hungry. If I eat something satiating before I go out (even when I plan to order some reasonable thing from the menu), I'm less likely to nibble when people offer. I keep shelf-stable satiating pre-portioned snacks in my car for impromptu hunger abatement.
    2. Write a new script for yourself, and rehearse it in your head repeatedly. Think about the triggers for grazing on apps, and visualize how you'll respond differently. Start creating some new habits in your head, and apply them in real life. Every social outing, even if you can't hold out through the whole event, make sure you go a little bit longer (time-wise) before indulging. Practice the new habits as long as you can. For example, you might visualize yourself turning down the calamari with "Oh, thanks . . . but I had a really late lunch today, so I'm going to keep it light tonight." (I avoid talking about my calorie-cutting. It's a downer for those who aren't cutting, and most people give less push-back if you don't make a big deal of refusing.) Imagine yourself drinking some of your water after refusing, maybe, and do that, too.
    3. Consciously think of some negative aspect of the food you're being offered, even if you're kind of faking yourself out at first. "Oh, the calamari here is always so salty!", "That grease swimming around the cheese bread is kinda gross." (Keep it in your own head, don't share it out loud, of course!)
    4. Think about your future self. What I'm doing if I go over goal is gratifying my current self (some minor food-related pleasure, maybe), and damaging my future self (making her be more unhealthy, more unhappy). Usually the benefit to my current self is less significant, it just seems more real in the moment.
    5. Observe the effect of alcohol, if you're consuming it. Sometimes I can put a little editor in my head who says "Would you still do this if you weren't all relaxed from that glass of wine?" Being conscious about it can help.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    All the comments about not eating other people's food make no sense to me. Appetizers are meant to be shared, they're usually ordered for the table.

That said, you have a couple of options.
    1) make sure a lower cal appetizer is ordered and eat mostly, or entirely that
    2) don't eat any appetizers. It doesn't make you rude, especially if you tell your friends up front not to order extra for you
    3) control yourself with the appetizers that are ordered
    4) bank calories during the week for these meals

I've done all of the above depending on the occasion.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you know they always share then you can choose to be a part of that and save enough calories to accomadate trying several things- or order your own thing and do not eat off the other's plates just because you can reach them. It isn't yours even if everyone else at the table is sharing because you opted out.
    If you are done eating but there is still food then pop a piece of mint gum in your mouth.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat the appetizers. If you are feeling like you need something, get a small side salad for yourself and let the others at the table enjoy the fried stuff. Alternatively, you could eat from the appetizers and skip having a main meal of your own.

Additional things that could help:
    1. Place the foods to be shared as far from you as possible.
    2. Fill up on water.
    3. When everyone else is done eating the shared food, ask the waiter to take it away so you aren't tempted to pick at it just because it's there.
    4. Take one piece and make it last as long as you can.
    5. Stick to the garnishes. Eat the celery that comes with wings or the lettuce under the chicken wraps, or whatever.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I do a couple of things. I might say to friends to feel free to order an appetizer but I won't be having any, I'm saving all my calories for my delicious meal and a drink. Then I've said it out loud and can stick to it (usually). OR I will portion some of the appetizer onto my plate and eat that (not going back to the main plate), and then take home some of my meal if I want to cut down on total calories). Just say it factually and then follow through.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    aim_3 wrote: »
    Just don't eat the appetizers. If you are feeling like you need something, get a small side salad for yourself and let the others at the table enjoy the fried stuff. Alternatively, you could eat from the appetizers and skip having a main meal of your own.

Additional things that could help:
    1. Place the foods to be shared as far from you as possible.
    2. Fill up on water.
    3. When everyone else is done eating the shared food, ask the waiter to take it away so you aren't tempted to pick at it just because it's there.
    4. Take one piece and make it last as long as you can.
    5. Stick to the garnishes. Eat the celery that comes with wings or the lettuce under the chicken wraps, or whatever.

I like this answer a lot. It doesn't make you the center of attention, you just quietly do less.This is what I do in situations like this except for number 3
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do a couple things
    I drink one beer really slow
    I order "tapas" , small plates or an appetizer especially things like ahi tuna or fish tacos. Those are small size splurges and I don't make
    Them at home
    If dessert is being ordered, I will decaf. I try to keep my hands busy and stay inconspicuous
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    All the comments about not eating other people's food make no sense to me. Appetizers are meant to be shared, they're usually ordered for the table.

That said, you have a couple of options.
    1) make sure a lower cal appetizer is ordered and eat mostly, or entirely that
    2) don't eat any appetizers. It doesn't make you rude, especially if you tell your friends up front not to order extra for you
    3) control yourself with the appetizers that are ordered
    4) bank calories during the week for these meals

I've done all of the above depending on the occasion.

^^This, particularly 1 and 4.

I think a lot of it is subconscious. If everyone around me is sitting and eating, and I am not, I feel like the odd one out. Sometimes people eat because it's something to do, rather than just sitting when they aren't talking (ie, eating out of boredom). If you have a lower calorie option that you order, sitting right in front of you, it's easier to reach for that.
    Barring that, you could grab one of those little individual plates, grab just a few items and set that little plate in front of you rather than just mindlessly reaching for the full plates each time. Tell yourself to eat slowly, because once your little plate is empty, you're finished with appetizers.
    You could also eat lighter throughout the day to save the extra calories for that evening's meal.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that have said just order your own. I've always done this because I basically am a really picky eater and don't like hardly anything.

I actually take breaks from socializing for a few weeks at a time periodically if I'm working towards a goal. Not a long-term solution but helps me get focused without the distraction. I'm an introvert, though, so am fine not socializing.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Talk more eat less.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating a lot of things here, but they're useful strategies:

1) Control the frequency where you go out with your friends for a meal. A walk in the park, movies, board or card games, sports games, plays, shopping, etc. are all things you can do without the temptation of a platter in front of you. Or meet for a drink, but don't let it turn into dinner - have your planned and logged cocktail, catch up, go home.
    2) Make the time you do go out your splurge meal for the week/plan to eat at maintenance that day. Or bank your calories all week by eating 100 less than usual.
    3) Be very active the day you're going to dinner. An extra 300-500 calories burned will help negate the appetizer snacking.
    4) I'm utterly useless at controlling myself once there's food on the table and I'm being offered. So I have it... But then I get a to-go box with my main course and throw most of the main course in the box. Leftovers, and usually not too much damage done.
    5) You say you wait a while before you take any of the food. Does the fried calamari actually taste any good after it's started going cold? Remind yourself that the taste just isn't going to be worth the calories.
    6) Give yourself an "I can't because ___" line to say out loud. "I can't have those appetizers because I haven't been feeling 100% and those might upset my stomach." "I can't get another drink/eat too much, I won't sleep well if I do." "Not today, it just doesn't sound good." People won't push food on you, and you won't want to go back on your statement.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on a calorie deficit for each day, just focus on a calorie deficit for the week. So on the days you socialize it's okay to eat a little over your calories, as long as you make it up on the other days
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've got two suggestions for you. The first is why does food have to be the focus of a social gathering? Why donyoubplan an outing that focuses on an activity other than eating. Most of the time when I go out its to meet people to go dancing or play golf. Sometimes it just to walk around downtown or go to the park. I have a great time and more often than not, also getting some exercise.

My second suggestion is if you are going to hang out at a restaurant, order your own meal and don't give into temptation with the shared food. You can't expect others in your group to limit their enjoyment because they are on a diet, even though it's hard for you. I hope I'm not sounding callous, I know how hard it is. Sometime people from my office go out for lunch. There are a lot of shared appetizers, chicken wings, breaded onions, stuffed mushrooms, mozzarella sticks, and more. Usually there are at least four different items, and they all smell and look amazing. However, I only have 400 calories max in my lunch calorie budget because I refuse to diminish evening calories as I love to have a big dinner and dessert. As tempting as it is, I stick to a salad with no dressing, and if available, a few prices of fruit on the salad. Granted the salad is large so it is filling, it's no where near as appealing as the shared food. However, I have the satisfaction of knowing I am a healthy weight, where as my coworkers are all very overweight, and that keeps me on track. I see them indiscriminately eating and know that behavior leads to weight gain which is something I don't want to happen to me. I still have a great time socializing, and still feel good about myself because I know I am making the healthiest choice for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ask if you can have your meal with the appetizers, or order some soup or something lower calories.

But I also hate sharing food, lol.
  • SWellz
    SWellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I save my calories for the alcohol :wink:
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    "No thank you."
  • NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you have a scale at home, try making similar things so you get a sense of how many grams/oz in a meatball, how much in a piece of meat, how much for 6 rings of fried calamari. This works well if you know the restaurant menu in advance.

Also, restaurants, big and small, keep tight control over portion sizes for budget reasons. If the wait staff doesn't know how many ounces of meat in that serving, the cook does. There have been a couple times when I have quietly asked what the restaurant uses as a serving size. I mention I am tracking consumption and I have always had a cooperative response. It then becomes a matter of counting how many rings of calamari, or bread sticks etc.

I belong to a cooking club where we have pot luck dinners. I have become adept at estimating how many ounces that hunk of sweet potato probably is or finding a roughly equivalent recipe of a chicken fricassee and charting a volume measurement, i.e. 1 cup.

Sodexo is an institutional caterer for universities, hotels etc., whose menu has been uploaded to the MFP database. When I am really stumped, I rely on a Sodexo entry.

If all else fails, remember that starches have more calories than protein, butter run around 100 cal per tablespoon but that whipped butter has fewer cal per volume measurement than solid butter, etc., and that plain alcohol in moderate volume isn't that bad.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I know it's pretty common, but why must people always socialize around food? I mean I definitely don't have a social life outside of my home and work, by choice for sure, but why go to restaurants so frequently?