Ketogenic Diet

Hi there I was wondering if anyone has tried the ketogenic diet? If so what did you think. I started it yesterday but unsure if I'm having the right amount of protein x

Replies

• MissHamps14
    MissHamps14 Posts: 3 Member
    Wow that's amazing well done. I have set mine to 40% protein 50 % fat & 10% carbs.
    Literally not touched a carb unless it's been in vegetables like carrots tomatoes etc.... Just wondering how people have got on. I'm not hungry at all which I thought I would be as I love my stodgy foods x
  • jennameyer22
    jennameyer22 Posts: 3 Member
    Have you tried a keto calculator? This one will let you play with it a bit. I've made myself sick from too much protein and not enough fat.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I have been Keto for 11 months. Started at 165, now I'm 133 and I love it! I even had to reduce my ADHD medication because my newfound mental clarity combined with my medication had me bugging out! Lol
    I don't plan to ever go back to eating carbs.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Keto newb-ish here! I'm about 3 months in and have dropped a few pounds and a lot of inches. I hang out around 70/20/10. I do net carbs, so my 10% comes out to net about 5%. Anything above 70%F makes me happy!
  • katyplumtree193
    katyplumtree193 Posts: 1 Member
    I started keto on the 11th april and as of the 18th I have lost 11lbs, down from 177, I have 10% carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat, thoroughly enjoying it!
  • ErryDayImHustlin
    ErryDayImHustlin Posts: 23 Member
    Ketogenic diets may be slightly more effective than balanced diets in helping morbidly obese people to lose weight (only a few %, and its debated by other studies). The main reason to do it is if you find it easier to stick to long term than a balanced diet. Some people do, some people dont. The same deficit with a balanced diet will result in the same amount of weight loss.

Watch out for carbs in veggies like carrots and tomatoes. They still count! Ideally you want to keep carbs below ~25-30g and of those, they should be from trace sources such as fibrous green veggies. Also make sure to keep fats high. Some people have a tendency to go primarily protein and your body really needs the fats to function on keto. Start at around 65-75%. Look into doing regular refeeds if you are exercising with much intensity, also.

Good luck!
  • Transitioning from lchf to keto - hoping to break thru watch the scale & body change
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Transitioning from lchf to keto - hoping to break thru watch the scale & body change

whats the difference between the two, please explain?

keto is usually under 50g of carbs a day and low carb can be anything over 50-100. someone will correct me if Im wrong
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Transitioning from lchf to keto - hoping to break thru watch the scale & body change

keto is usually under 50g of carbs a day and low carb can be anything over 50-100. someone will correct me if Im wrong

Yep, and then there's optimal Ketosis.. lol which is usually about 5% carbs (20g)
  • ralostaz2000
    ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member

so in keto I'll have less than 50gms of carbs...and what are the best ratios for fats anf proteins?

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    more fat than protein.. not sure what a ratio would be for as much as 50g of carbs though - i'm sure someone else could answer that, but for a strict Keto diet it's 5% carbs 75% fat 25% protein.. so you will probably be somewhere similar... maybe 20% carbs 50% fat and 30% protein - something like that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member

so in keto I'll have less than 50gms of carbs...and what are the best ratios for fats anf proteins?

Try one of these calculators to help develop a macro plan to get you going.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    Or
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
  • Desi0619
    Desi0619 Posts: 4 Member
    I've been on Keto for just over a month. I started through a health clinic and so far am down 13lbs in 4 weeks. If you starting out make sure you also getting the right vitamins/minerals/electrolytes as well and drinking at least the 64oz of water a day if not more. This is a good site with basic info.

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/natural-supplements.html
  • Primadonna890
    Primadonna890 Posts: 7 Member
    Hello fellow ketoer. :) congrats!
  • Conklady
    Conklady Posts: 1 Member
    I'm new to the ketogenic diet. Any tips to get me into ketosis wold be very helpful. ;)
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Keto newb-ish here! I'm about 3 months in and have dropped a few pounds and a lot of inches. I hang out around 70/20/10. I do net carbs, so my 10% comes out to net about 5%. Anything above 70%F makes me happy!

Ditto

OP. 40% protein is waaaaay too high. Excess protein will be converted to glucose.

LCHF/Keto Group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Tara4boys wrote: »

Ditto

OP. 40% protein is waaaaay too high. Excess protein will be converted to glucose.

LCHF/Keto Group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

As a general rule, this is true. However, if one is running a vigorous lifting plan (I used to lift six days per week, twice per day on two of those days, while I was tearing through my noob gains phase), their protein needs can be notably higher than your average keto dieter.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    I do keto an absolutely LOVE it. I've been in and out of keto for 3 years, lost 75 pounds in 6 months on it, in 2013.

I feel completely different in vs. out of keto. In keto I sleep better, feel leaner and more energetic, actually feel happier, more organized as if my brain isn't scattered. My blood work and vitals are enviable on keto...HDL cholesterol over 90, BP = 90/50 and I'm 44 with a family history of high BP and cholesterol issues.

Off keto, even eating good, complex carbs, I feel sluggish, down, bloated and my sleep is poor.

The difference is astounding, to me. I eat about 120gm protein/day.

If you're only one day into it, be patient. It takes at least 3 days to actually get into ketosis and for me, a week to feel like superwoman. Until then, I get a lot of headaches, brain fog, etc. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. It'll help with the headaches.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited July 2016
    walkdmc wrote: »
    I feel completely different in vs. out of keto. In keto I sleep better, feel leaner and more energetic, actually feel happier, more organized as if my brain isn't scattered. My blood work and vitals are enviable on keto...
    Off keto, even eating good, complex carbs, I feel sluggish, down, bloated and my sleep is poor.

The difference is astounding, to me.

Ditto walkdmc. I've been on keto for a few weeks. The difference is astounding. I had to take melatonin 6 mg at night plus a prescribed sleep aid to get even poor sleep. After a month on keto, I am getting tired enough to fall asleep at about the same time each evening and I don't keep waking up (only once or twice).

DH is also eating keto and has lost about 40 pounds in the same amount of time (grrrr). I lose weight slowly and he has always lost weight quickly. So jealous!! But my fasting blood sugar dropped to nearly normal levels (have been on a lot of steroids the last 2 years which seems to have triggered borderline diabetes). And my lipids are fantastic!

I eat 5/25/70. Mornings I have "keto" coffee with coconut oil which I put in the blender for a nice froth and have recently added 2 oz of protein with it. Finding what works best for you is so important. Like you, I feel so different on keto than I do on a high carb, low fat diet.

This diet plan was affirmed recently when I went to an appointment with a friend and her husband (he has Alzheimer's). The neurologist put him on a ketogenic diet along with 3-4 TBL coconut oil per day to help his brain function better.